These rules are disclosed to clarify the various responsibilities of all community members here on MoT's Watch Deal Forum. They shall be adhered to by everyone to ensure that our board runs smoothly and provides a fun and productive experience for all of our community members and visitors.
Welcome! These forums are here for anyone to post on. We do not limit registration to anyone, you just need to have an interest in watches. We hope you find this forum an informational and enjoyable place to visit.
Our forum is considered to be a "self policed" forum. That is to say, our staff is instructed to only moderate when required and react to issues, rather than seek them out. In exchange for this light handed approach, we need to trust our members to govern themselves, and use the "Report Post" feature (exclamation point (!) button at the top of each post) when they find something that violates our rules or general "community" environment.
These rules are to be seen as general governing principals and you need to understand that the specific language is unimportant. Alan Greenspan put it best when he said "Rules cannot take the place of character." The following outline is just that; it outlines and embodies the character of the environment we wish to enjoy with our fellow enthusiasts.
We choose staff members very carefully, selecting those individuals we believe understand the "spirit" and character of our community. We trust these folks to make decisions and judgment calls that always keep within that spirit. In other words, read these rules to get a feel of how we run this place and do your best to keep within that feel. If a staffer contacts you in regards to these rules and guidelines, always remember they do so in order to keep this place within those guidelines and that their judgment is to be respected as such.
If a member is found to have deliberately broken one of the following rules or guidelines, then a staff member may issue a warning, infraction or ban, depending on the violation.
- Avoid personal attacks and be respectful of our members. If you don't agree with what someone posted, debate their post, not the person that posted it. "Flaming" in any form is strictly prohibited. "Derailing" someone's thread for the purposes of negatively affecting it is strictly prohibited. And if someone does chose to disrespect, flame or derail, anyone who responds in kind is just as guilty. Bottom line is respect each other, and each others posts. If you don't like what someone posted, figure out how to say so without disrespecting them, flaming them, or derailing their post. If you can't do so, use the Report Post feature and let the staff handle it, or simply move on to the next post. But no matter what, do not contribute to the problem.
- Expressions of hatred, bigotry or bias based on race/ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, disability, and/or religion are strictly prohibited. Any such expressions, whether directed at another person or at a group in general, may be grounds for immediate banning. Seriously, don't even think about going there.
- Adult material will not be allowed in any way, shape, or form. Ask yourself before posting or picking that avatar or that signature, "Would I want to explain this to my 6 year old niece?" If the answer is no, don't do it. Other likely examples include videos of people and/or animals being hurt or killed, as well as illegal activities.
- No Duplicate Threads. Pick the one and only one best place for your thread or announcement to be seen by the world. If we see a topic plastered all over the place the staff member who has to clean it all up will be very cranky.
- Politics in any form are prohibited. There are thousands of political places to visit on the web. This ain't one of them. Our members come here to talk watches and the community that surrounds them, not to wade through your political agenda.
- Religion in any form is prohibited. Religion is a volatile subject and not welcome here. You can be true to yourself and your beliefs without the need for religious expression. Please do so when you're here! The exception to this rule, which is subject to staff approval, is your avatar or username. These things are expressions of your personality and some leeway is allowed.
- Firearms in any form are prohibited. Sites exist online for the discussion of firearms. MoT's Watch Deal Forum is not one of them.
- No un-authorized advertisements. If you represent a business and you want post to something for sale, you must contact an Admin first.
- Referral links prohibited. We are here to share and enjoy a mutual hobby, not to make money off of one another. If referral links are found, the links will be removed and the poster given an infraction. (Multiple infractions can and will lead to a ban.)
- Privacy of your fellow member is paramount. Posting any personal information of another member will not be tolerated. In addition, impersonation or misrepresenting yourself will also not be tolerated. Any private information posted by a member about another will be edited or deleted. Any member that misrepresents themselves may find themselves banned without warning.
- Multiple accounts are not allowed. Get caught with more than one account and all accounts will be banned, and you may be reported to your ISP as harassing our site.
- Linking to any file/program/software that could harm a persons computer if prohibited. This is pretty self explanatory.
- Native vs Linked Content. All rules regarding content apply to anything you directly post AS WELL AS anything you link to. Posting a link to rule breaking content is the same as showing it directly in your post. Either way, you're breaking the rules.
- If you post it, the world owns it. Any material entered by any member on on MoT's Watch Deal Forum (the site) is considered as being available on public domain and should be treated as such. No material entered by any member is to be considered representative of the site, its staff or its data providers. In other words, you are posting at your own risk. As such; all material entered and/or submitted to the site is considered property of MoT's Watch Deal Forum, its community and the greater world in general.
- Any thread that has been closed or moved to is not up for review. Restarting a closed or moved thread will earn the restarter an infraction. If you have a question, bring the issue up with a member of the staff privately.
These forums are managed on the basis of admins and moderators having discretionary authority to make decisions as circumstances require. While this gives them considerable authority, they make it a point to be transparent to the membership and consistent in their attitudes and decisions. Furthermore, when new things necessitate changes in standard general practices, they will try to ease the affected parties into the change as gently as possible without penalty during the learning process.
This is not the forum where you should be looking for a "show-me-the-rule" discussion to have any rightful place. This forum does not work that way. The staff is far more concerned with maintaining the spirit of the community rather than the letter of any law. If any member chooses not to participate within that broad spectrum, it is the staff's job to first remind, either publicly, privately or both at the the staffer's discretion, and guide them back onto an acceptable path. If transgressions continue, moderators and admins will usually graduate first to formal warnings, followed by formal infractions which increase in severity. However, should a moderator or administrator decide to go straight to severe sanctions and skip the intermediate steps, that is also a reserved prerogative.
Decisions taken by staff members are often group decisions. Remember there is an entire forum here that is invisible to all but the staff. Very often, when a situation presents itself that situation will be discussed in a round-table before action is taken.
Private messages to staff members about staff issues, the business of this forum, infractions received etc. are subject to discussion by the entire staff only when shared by the staff member that received it. We do not have the ability to read members' private messages, and we will never install that ability. #