We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Paypal and International Purchase

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
KidThunder
MoT Member

Paypal and International Purchase

Post by KidThunder »

Hey everyone -

I think this is the best place to pose this question (apologies if not) - I am considering a purchase from an international watch store (seriouswatches.com) and of their payment options, I think paypal would be the way I'd have to go, as they do not take credit card orders. I've read on this website (usually with respect to purchases from Rakuten global when their big discounts hit) that you get hit pretty hard with international purchases using paypal (a percent of the purchase plus a really poor exchange rate).

Is this for every international purchase using paypal (i.e even if I use a credit card with no foreign transaction fee vs using a paypal balance)?

If there is no way around it, I may just give them a call and see about taking a credit card directly. They have other payment options I am not familiar with Bancontact, iDeal, and Sofortbanking. And lastly they do offer the option of direct bank transfer which I could look into (but would likely be subject to their foreign transaction fee - perhaps a decent exchange rate) if I was really inclined.

Still waffling on the purchase at this point, but even if I decide against it I figure the info may be useful in the future.

Thanks in advance!
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Paypal and International Purchase

Post by watchpalooza »

I have bought from Serious Watches before using PayPal. There used to be an option to disable the PayPal currency conversion within he purchase process, but for me this option was not available. What worked for me is To change your default PayPal currency temporarily to Euros, then make the purchase. This should let your credit card do the currency conversion at a much lower rate than PayPal. After the transaction you can switch the currency back.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
KidThunder
MoT Member

Post by KidThunder »

Gotcha. So converting to the currency of the storefront (euros in this case) avoids paypal's "fixed fee based off the currency received" - but do you pay a 4.4% transaction fee, or is that just if you are the seller?
borgil
MoT Member

Post by borgil »

KidThunder wrote:Gotcha. So converting to the currency of the storefront (euros in this case) avoids paypal's "fixed fee based off the currency received" - but do you pay a 4.4% transaction fee, or is that just if you are the seller?
There is no additional fee from PayPal as long as you have the correct currency selected.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

borgil wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:57 am
KidThunder wrote:Gotcha. So converting to the currency of the storefront (euros in this case) avoids paypal's "fixed fee based off the currency received" - but do you pay a 4.4% transaction fee, or is that just if you are the seller?
There is no additional fee from PayPal as long as you have the correct currency selected.
This is correct...no currency conversion fee from PP.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
KidThunder
MoT Member

Post by KidThunder »

Awesome. Thanks for the input!
Techme
MoT Member

Post by Techme »

Most of my watches are international purchases. I have a CC with no international currency conversion fees that I use via PayPal.

I use the currency of the website and let my CC to the conversion. Never let PayPal do the conversion or pay internationally with money in you PayPal account. PayPal has a horrible exchange rate and they just rob you.

If I use PayPal to convert currency from AUD to US I lose 2.5 to 3 cents per $.