We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Things to do see and do in Taos, NM

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Things to do see and do in Taos, NM

Post by peskydonut »

Doing a short weekend road trip to northern NM next weekend (Taos/Santa Fe area). Any recommendations on what to see in a day and a half? Planning to checkout the House of Eternal Return, but otherwise pretty open agenda. Thanks!
Living a comeback montage.
cortman
MoT Member

Re: Things to do see and do in Taos, NM

Post by cortman »

peskydonut wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:27 pm Doing a short weekend road trip to northern NM next weekend (Taos/Santa Fe area). Any recommendations on what to see in a day and a half? Planning to checkout the House of Eternal Return, but otherwise pretty open agenda. Thanks!
Lucky guy! Taos is one of my favorite places in the world. NM's state motto is "Land of Enchantment" and I always kind of rolled my eyes at it until I went there. There really is something special and breathtaking about northern NM.
My highest recommendation is the Taos Pueblo- the people there are super kind, friendly, and willing to talk and explain their history and culture. It's really beautiful, peaceful and quiet. If Patrick Trujillo is still selling his artwork there that's worth stopping by, his work is beautiful.
The Taos Art Museum at the Fechin house is terrific as well- the building that houses the art is 100% as interesting as the art itself, with so much hand carving and beautiful construction.
The best place I have ever eaten in Taos is La Cueva Cafe, a super small place right in the middle of town right off Paseo Del Pueblo Sur. Their prices are extremely reasonable and the food is unbelievable.
Have a great trip! I'm super jealous! :)
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

cortman wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:47 pm
peskydonut wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:27 pm Doing a short weekend road trip to northern NM next weekend (Taos/Santa Fe area). Any recommendations on what to see in a day and a half? Planning to checkout the House of Eternal Return, but otherwise pretty open agenda. Thanks!
Lucky guy! Taos is one of my favorite places in the world. NM's state motto is "Land of Enchantment" and I always kind of rolled my eyes at it until I went there. There really is something special and breathtaking about northern NM.
My highest recommendation is the Taos Pueblo- the people there are super kind, friendly, and willing to talk and explain their history and culture. It's really beautiful, peaceful and quiet. If Patrick Trujillo is still selling his artwork there that's worth stopping by, his work is beautiful.
The Taos Art Museum at the Fechin house is terrific as well- the building that houses the art is 100% as interesting as the art itself, with so much hand carving and beautiful construction.
The best place I have ever eaten in Taos is La Cueva Cafe, a super small place right in the middle of town right off Paseo Del Pueblo Sur. Their prices are extremely reasonable and the food is unbelievable.
Awesome! Thank you so much. Seems like staying around Taos is cheaper than Santa Fe, so I'll definitely be checking some if not all of those out.

It's been a while since I've had a road trip without the kids. Going about 800mi in 48hrs. I really wanted to make it further south like Roswell and Socorro County to check out the VLA, but I don't think that's practical in the amount of time I have.
Living a comeback montage.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I've been to Sante Fe once YEARS ago, the only thing I remember vividly is visiting Loretto Chapel, home to the "miracle staircase."

https://www.lorettochapel.com/info/our-story
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

peskydonut wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:05 pm
cortman wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:47 pm
Awesome! Thank you so much. Seems like staying around Taos is cheaper than Santa Fe, so I'll definitely be checking some if not all of those out.

It's been a while since I've had a road trip without the kids. Going about 800mi in 48hrs. I really wanted to make it further south like Roswell and Socorro County to check out the VLA, but I don't think that's practical in the amount of time I have.
Staying in Taos is indeed cheaper- my wife and I and our two young children got a small guest house all to ourselves for something like $80-$90 a night, with a private deck and hot tub and views of the desert plateau. Beautiful.
I'll also mention that Taos Ski Valley, Questa and Red River are all beautiful mountain towns and areas as well. If you want a stunning drive or hike you're covered.
One more food recommendation too- 5 Star Burgers, a NM chain, has incredibly good burgers (with their special chile mayo) and the sweet potato fries with maple cream dip are unreal. :)