As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Ways to promote this forum?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

If I could give myself a custom title and change it whenever I would like then that is totally a perk that I would enjoy. I am sure that others would also dig it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: Ways to promote this forum?

Post by Sporkboy »

I think that what is needed is something that is easy for you to implement and is easy to enable. We want a way to support you here, but don’t want it to create more work for you.

I noticed that, at least through Tapatalk, that you have two icons associated with your account, one being admin I guess. Not sure if the icons have value to anyone. At any rate, if a title could be displayed under our user names in posts then I think you might have something.

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Here's a sketch for an idea I had for a MOT watch dial mod:
mot_dial.png
ibus
MoT Member

Post by ibus »

BostonCharlie wrote:Here's a sketch for an idea I had for a MOT watch dial mod:
mot_dial.png
Emit No Nam? [emoji39]

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

mot_dial.png
What are you using to create that? I have been wanting to tinker on dial design for a while now.

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Sporkboy wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:51 am

mot_dial.png
What are you using to create that? I have been wanting to tinker on dial design for a while now.

I used an old version of Adobe Illustrator. Regarding custom dials, I once saw a writeup by a guy who had pretty good luck using a 3D printer to create one with raised markings.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

BostonCharlie wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:24 am

mot_dial.png

I used an old version of Adobe Illustrator. Regarding custom dials, I once saw a writeup by a guy who had pretty good luck using a 3D printer to create one with raised markings.
As a free alternative to Adobe illustrator there is Inkscape, an open-source vector graphics program that has been around for over dozen years.

https://inkscape.org
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

BostonCharlie wrote:

mot_dial.png

I was going to try to make a 3D printed chapter ring, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. What I would like to do is to have some dials made via a PCB manufacturing house, only the thickness is more than a standard watch dial. I guess I would need to sand it down.

norsairius
MoT Member

Post by norsairius »

WUS transplant here. I admittedly still like WUS for the theme/brand forums, but I do feel as if the vibe of the place changed after watching how the deals thread situation was handled.

The reinstated thread hasn’t been very good from what I’ve seen and the various edits and comment deletions haven’t helped either. Based on what I’ve read here, there’s lots of evidence that pretty clearly explains why that specific part of WUS just isn’t fun anymore.

That said, the other various subforums there are still really nice though and there’s still lots of great people there and I’ll continue to read around and post there from time to time too, but I admittedly find myself spending more time here.

In any case, I’m glad to see so many familiar names here and I look forward to following various threads here and contributing from time to time!

For what it’s worth, I had no trouble at all finding this place via Google. I forget what search term I used, but it was super easy to find.

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

norsairius wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:13 pm WUS transplant here. I admittedly still like WUS for the theme/brand forums, but I do feel as if the vibe of the place changed after watching how the deals thread situation was handled.

The reinstated thread hasn’t been very good from what I’ve seen and the various edits and comment deletions haven’t helped either. Based on what I’ve read here, there’s lots of evidence that pretty clearly explains why that specific part of WUS just isn’t fun anymore.

That said, the other various subforums there are still really nice though and there’s still lots of great people there and I’ll continue to read around and post there from time to time too, but I admittedly find myself spending more time here.

In any case, I’m glad to see so many familiar names here and I look forward to following various threads here and contributing from time to time!

For what it’s worth, I had no trouble at all finding this place via Google. I forget what search term I used, but it was super easy to find.

I'm pleased you've been able to find this place. Welcome.

There is no reason this place and WUS can't coexist. Or at least I don't think there is.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I like Boston Charlie’s idea of a HUISABH! dial, but I would like to float some dial text for above the 6o’clock position where WR and other watch spec boasts usually go.

Bargains-Deals
Incredible Steals

I would relocate HUISABH! To below the 12 in the regular logo position.

I didn’t have time to play with a design program today (I have access to Affinity Designer through work) or I would have mocked something up.

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 8.30.17 AM.png
I was thinking something more like this. Font, indicies and such can be changed of course, but those stick hands have got to stay;)
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

I saw in the website changelog, MoT, that you now have the watchdealforum.com domain name and that is pointing to the website. Seems like a great idea for SEO and because potential new users who don't know the backstory might be confused by the manontime domain.
Bolster
MoT Member

Post by Bolster »

I wonder what licensing fee it would take to use the boy from Family Circus (Mot's avatar) on the dial?

Unrepentant Quartzer
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Bolster wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:39 pm I wonder what licensing fee it would take to use the boy from Family Circus (Mot's avatar) on the dial?

Good question. I'm not sure if I want to know the answer. :lol:

Here is the full comic I pulled that from:

[img][/img]
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody