Ways to promote this forum?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Re: Ways to promote this forum?

Post by PetWatch »

FTE wrote:Its great to have a community that cares enough to make these suggestions. I have to ask though, is there actually a problem here to solve? I am not sure the membership requirement is keeping anyone away or hurting SEO right now.
Thanks for allowing site operation discussions.

Not a problem. I do see an opportunity to maximize growth now that the main competitor deals thread is out, but certainly not out. Going forward this site will likely face more competition from one that has no restriction to viewership. In time some of these viewers will turn to members.

Different approaches that have an impact, that's all. How significant, time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

PetWatch wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote:
PetWatch wrote:I think the best way to promote this site is to make it the most comprehensive Deals forum on the web, which it already is, but with more varied and thorough content that covers all deal related matter. It's on the way. The rest will take care of itself as the site grows. It is not that improbable that the deals thread on the other site may again grow one day. All it takes is one or two deal getters to get it going again, they have the numbers on their side.

I went to WUS several times over the years researching watches, but it was not until I discovered the deals thread that I stayed long enough to wander about for the long run.

In regards to the Deals forum registration, I see no benefit to be gained by requiring and restricting membership in any way, except as a shortsighted way, in my opinion, to entice membership in order increase the number of heads and whatever benefit that may provide the forum. It should be noted that it may also discourage some casual newcomers from exploring the site, staying and eventually registering, particularly if they come here following a deals link only to find an obstacle in the way. Registration is also a minor obstacle that will not hinder any enthusiast or flipper from taking advantage of deals without contributing, or posting an occasional bogus deal if required to, as has been noted.

Less obstacles and greater enticements are the fastest way to acquire market share. I recognize there are different approaches, this is my take on it.
This has kinda changed my perspective on the whole thing. While I get that we want the deals posted to go to the loyal followers and community members, this may also alienate future members.

Maybe we go back to the format of the "hidden" deals for those fire deals of limited quantity and leave the rest open for the masses. I do like keeping the $318 SARBS in short supply for the dedicated, but am not opposed to opening up the thread to the masses.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
I guess a system could be implemented that credits site contributors, not just deal posters, that allows them to earn the privilege to view special pre general release deals either through hidden content or in a deals sub thread.

No way. Sorry. The “thanks” button works fine in my opinion. I think when MoT forced membership to view deals we covered the bases.

@robotazky
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Robotaz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:06 pm
PetWatch wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote:This has kinda changed my perspective on the whole thing. While I get that we want the deals posted to go to the loyal followers and community members, this may also alienate future members.

Maybe we go back to the format of the "hidden" deals for those fire deals of limited quantity and leave the rest open for the masses. I do like keeping the $318 SARBS in short supply for the dedicated, but am not opposed to opening up the thread to the masses.

I guess a system could be implemented that credits site contributors, not just deal posters, that allows them to earn the privilege to view special pre general release deals either through hidden content or in a deals sub thread.

No way. Sorry. The “thanks” button works fine in my opinion. I think when MoT forced membership to view deals we covered the bases.

@robotazky
I think the idea is to keep things simple and uncluttered, allow for and promote a community focus, and to not overly restrict or complicate....oh, and make it a fun place for all. IMO any credits system is overdoing it. MoT has said a few times that his primary concern is in building a community. This is why there is a rule about requiring admin approval before marketing products on the site (to try, however imperfectly, to encourage sellers to think of this place as more than just another sales channel and play an active part in the community). I believe the requirement to be a member in order to view deals was also created to promote community here as well, and to reward / protect community interest by preventing members from losing out on deals that are sniped by non-member lurkers.

Disclaimer: The views I express on this site are mine alone. Though I am a moderator here, I do not set the policies or approach...this is all done by our admin Mr. MoT. Please do not take my opinions as official law, as unless an admin weighs in directly they are merely community suggestions like any other member here.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Dub Rubb wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:37 am
PetWatch wrote:I think the best way to promote this site is to make it the most comprehensive Deals forum on the web, which it already is, but with more varied and thorough content that covers all deal related matter. It's on the way. The rest will take care of itself as the site grows. It is not that improbable that the deals thread on the other site may again grow one day. All it takes is one or two deal getters to get it going again, they have the numbers on their side.

I went to WUS several times over the years researching watches, but it was not until I discovered the deals thread that I stayed long enough to wander about for the long run.

In regards to the Deals forum registration, I see no benefit to be gained by requiring and restricting membership in any way, except as a shortsighted way, in my opinion, to entice membership in order increase the number of heads and whatever benefit that may provide the forum. It should be noted that it may also discourage some casual newcomers from exploring the site, staying and eventually registering, particularly if they come here following a deals link only to find an obstacle in the way. Registration is also a minor obstacle that will not hinder any enthusiast or flipper from taking advantage of deals without contributing, or posting an occasional bogus deal if required to, as has been noted.

Less obstacles and greater enticements are the fastest way to acquire market share. I recognize there are different approaches, this is my take on it.
This has kinda changed my perspective on the whole thing. While I get that we want the deals posted to go to the loyal followers and community members, this may also alienate future members.

I think your hidden deals suggestion for very limited deals is a good one.

I'm sure we have all been to websites where one had to register to gain full access. I know that many times I have chosen not to bother to register and didn't necessarily go back. After all, it's not very inviting. I do think if someone sees the deals thread, finds a good deal, and makes a purchase, well, that's the best incentive for someone to become an active member on the website. If the deals thread is hidden behind mandatory registration and login, that seems less likely to happen.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

My credit and hidden deals suggestion was just a suggestion on a possible workaround this matter. My preference is no restrictions - at all.

Something I have noticed in regards to the community aspect of these online forums is that regardless of the number of members, viewers/lurkers, there is usually or probably almost always, a relatively small number of regular participants in any thread who create a sense of community and camaraderie among themselves that others may enjoy.
Last edited by PetWatch on Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Just read this article at Men's Journal
The Best Dive Watches for Every Budget

So they put a $1,000 G-Shock on the list, but not one of the models that regularly runs under $100. [img]https://forum.multitool.org/Smileys/def ... cepalm.gif[/img]

The members of MoT could do better. We could have running discussions of best buys for different types of watches, and then once every month or so publish a list of Best Buys for Every Budget. And I don't mean deals of the moment that often go away in a day or two. Rather, watches we know that seem to be hanging out at a good buy price point. Dive, dress, and military/field watches could be good categories.

We could also have a Twitter account and post a watch deal of the day. The deal-of-the-day should probably be something that isn't likely to sell out in 1 hour.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Ways to promote this forum?

Post by Sporkboy »

cel4145 wrote:Just read this article at Men's Journal
The Best Dive Watches for Every Budget

So they put a $1,000 G-Shock on the list, but not one of the models that regularly runs under $100. [img]https://forum.multitool.org/Smileys/def ... cepalm.gif[/img]

The members of MoT could do better. We could have running discussions of best buys for different types of watches, and then once every month or so publish a list of Best Buys for Every Budget. And I don't mean deals of the moment that often go away in a day or two. Rather, watches we know that seem to be hanging out at a good buy price point. Dive, dress, and military/field watches could be good categories.

We could also have a Twitter account and post a watch deal of the day. The deal-of-the-day should probably be something that isn't likely to sell out in 1 hour.
I like the Best Buy’s for every budget idea. Resources like that are pretty popular.

Edit: maybe we could do this annually or instead of doing them all at once we could do one per quarter (Q1-field, Q2-dive, Q3-dress, Q4-Holiday guide).
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

One easy way to promote the site is to include a link at the bottom of your Instagram or FB posts. Something like:

Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr