As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Ways to promote this forum?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Re: Ways to promote this forum?

Post by mplsabdullah »

Great to see alot of familiar names here. I agree with pretty much all thats been said about the handling of the deals thread on WUS. Still don't understand why they didn't just penalize offenders rather then shut the whole thing down. I only found the WUS deals thread through Slickdeals when my wife told me years ago to buy a "nice" watch for myself. A suggestion I am sure she (because she has lovingly told me, lol) now regrets.

Being married with four children, etc., etc. I'm very frugal in my life. Watches are really my only "treat". Being able to buy them at reasonable prices, enjoy them, sell them for others, etc. makes the hobby enjoyable and doable for me.

WUS is the only forum I ever joined and actually took part of. I have since made Facebook and Instagram accounts however I am not really "active" on them. Just signed up to check out watch related stuff.

So in short, I am a bit disheartened by what happened with the deals thread over there however I am also really digging this new spot. Thanks all for contributing.
valuewatchguy wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:15 am WUS is actively editing PMs related to this forum. I have had 2 WUS members send me info about this forum (before I signed up) and the site info was deleted out with a ........ in place. I posted a comment on the thread there about the existence of this forum (NO hyperlink though, just a cheeky reference to it being created....) and that was deleted. Then I commented about the deleted post and that also was deleted. No messages from mods though.

Seems odd that they are working this hard to keep Manontime.com from being learned about but they couldn't figure out a way to moderate their own thread?

Also really poor timing for them to shut it down in the middle of peak shopping season. Not a well planned action.

WUS will continue to exist because the Heads up thread was 1 out of thousands each year. I will still be a member also.

But why they object to Manontime.com when they ceased to offer the service themselves is totally irrational.
Glad you made the jump sir. I was actually thinking to pm you on WUS however I know that they have access to our pms. Hope so see your much appreciated contributions from WUS happen over here as well.
Last edited by mplsabdullah on Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
mconlonx

Post by mconlonx »

Someone used some very creative use of Bold to suggest this site on one of the threads... well played *golf clap*
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

valuewatchguy wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:15 am WUS is actively editing PMs related to this forum. I have had 2 WUS members send me info about this forum (before I signed up) and the site info was deleted out with a ........ in place.
And here I thought I knew what PM stood for. :roll:
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

mconlonx wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:39 am Someone used some very creative use of Bold to suggest this site on one of the threads... well played *golf clap*
Which I believe has been deleted by the mods now. One wonders what they're scared of, since they don't want this stuff on their site anyway.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

At this point one has to assume it's about saving face, and that they're at a loss on how to do it.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I have mentioned this before, but I'd like to touch on it again.

I find the practice of deleting posts, reading private messages and filtering links to be very disturbing. Moreso when it's done with no warning or explanation.

I pledge to everyone here that those practices will never happen at this site.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

mconlonx wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:39 am Someone used some very creative use of Bold to suggest this site on one of the threads... well played *golf clap*
That was me. But as mentioned it was subsequently deleted. Then when I posted again just mentioning that the post was deleted......again deleted.
-- Enjoy your time
IG: ikeepgoodtime
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

yinzburgher wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:40 am
valuewatchguy wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:15 am WUS is actively editing PMs related to this forum. I have had 2 WUS members send me info about this forum (before I signed up) and the site info was deleted out with a ........ in place.

Private Message
-- Enjoy your time
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

mplsabdullah wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:37 am Glad you made the jump sir. I was actually thinking to pm you on WUS however I know that they have access to our pms. Hope so see your much appreciated contributions from WUS happen over here as well.
Thanks! Glad to be here.

I rarely bought a deal that I found on the HUISABH thread but I enjoyed learning about the possible deals and getting a sense of the market.

I'm glad this new space exists!
-- Enjoy your time
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

valuewatchguy wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:50 pm

Private Message
I think he was making a joke that "private" doesn't actually mean private over there since they are reading messages.
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

valuewatchguy wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:52 pm
mplsabdullah wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:37 am Glad you made the jump sir. I was actually thinking to pm you on WUS however I know that they have access to our pms. Hope so see your much appreciated contributions from WUS happen over here as well.
Thanks! Glad to be here.

I rarely bought a deal that I found on the HUISABH thread but I enjoyed learning about the possible deals and getting a sense of the market.

I'm glad this new space exists!
I was speaking more to your general contribution to the watch community. Not specify to deals.

I appreciated that thread as well for helping to understand the market. I actually appreciate when people point out that a current deal has been better in the past, etc.
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

mplsabdullah wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:54 pm
valuewatchguy wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:50 pm

Private Message
I think he was making a joke that "private" doesn't actually mean private over there since they are reading messages.
oops ....a little slow on the uptake today!
-- Enjoy your time
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

What groups on Reddit are appropriate to post this info?
-- Enjoy your time
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

valuewatchguy wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:47 pm
That was me. But as mentioned it was subsequently deleted. Then when I posted again just mentioning that the post was deleted......again deleted.
Thanks for your efforts--it's how I found out this place is here.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

valuewatchguy wrote:What groups on Reddit are appropriate to post this info?
Well r/watches would be the obvious one, mods might delete it and shadow ban you, but not a concern if you don't care about your Reddit account. Also there's a ton of deals subreddits out there, not sure which would be most appropriate but I will check them out. Here in Canada we have a massive forum called redflagdeals and I was going to try posting information there as well.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole