As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Ways to promote this forum?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Ways to promote this forum?

Post by MoT »

Aeryn on WUS asked if there were other places people post watch deals. Obviously I couldn't answer him directly, so I sent him this PM:
Hi.

I created a forum for watch deals that has had a very strong response.

Unfortunately WUS has decided to censor any mentions of it. I was also made aware by other members that WUS staff can read private messages, so I'm unsure if you'll receive this.

I am not "head hunting" members, just putting the info out there. If you'd like to check it out it's my screenname dot com.

Thanks,

matt
How unfortunate that I had to sneak around just to be able to do that. :(
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

ManOnTime wrote:Aeryn on WUS asked if there were other places people post watch deals. Obviously I couldn't answer him directly, so I sent him this PM:
Hi.

Unfortunately WUS has decided to censor any mentions of it. I was also made aware by other members that WUS staff can read private messages, so I'm unsure if you'll receive this.

I am not "head hunting" members, just putting the info out there. If you'd like to check it out it's my screenname dot com.

Thanks,

matt
One way of letting others know of the site would be just putting the URL as an image file and posting it somewhere LOL. Only way mods could pick up on it is if they view the image. They eventually would see the image and probably ban your account though
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:50 pm
ManOnTime wrote:Aeryn on WUS asked if there were other places people post watch deals. Obviously I couldn't answer him directly, so I sent him this PM:
Hi.

Thanks,

matt
One way of letting others know of the site would be just putting the URL as an image file and posting it somewhere LOL. Only way mods could pick up on it is if they view the image. They eventually would see the image and probably ban your account though

I changed a link in my signature over there to a redirect that points here. As I really don't have any animosity towards WUS and don't want to get banned, I removed it less than five minutes later.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

I added a link to here on the bio for my watch-related Instagram account (vta_watch). Wonder if they'd have a conniption at WUS if I posted a link to my Instagram in my profile over there.
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

larand wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:18 pm I added a link to here on the bio for my watch-related Instagram account (vta_watch). Wonder if they'd have a conniption at WUS if I posted a link to my Instagram in my profile over there.

lots of people put their IG account name in their Signature. I've never seen it questioned. I have mine in the signature but no special info in my bio at IG.
-- Enjoy your time
IG: ikeepgoodtime
OvrSteer

Post by OvrSteer »

ManOnTime wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:33 pm At this point one has to assume it's about saving face, and that they're at a loss on how to do it.
Whatever that way is, the Streisand Effect is not the best way to go about it...

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to engage some of the more topical podcasters and bloggers? I know most have accounts on WUS and some post on F71, but most of them have 'outed' themselves and their actual identity can be tied back to their WuS account trivially. I can completely understand why those guy would not want to do anything that would upset WuS.

I honestly don't think WuS and the current ownership know what to do, and in absence of a plan, I can understand not wanting to get caught up in any kind of ugly situation.
HoustonReal

Post by HoustonReal »

ManOnTime wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:20 pm I have no animosity towards WUS or any of the membership. I didn't create this to be competition (really, how could it be?) but rather as a place for like-minded folks to continue posting deals.
I really appreciate this effort, but I worry that the WUS admins may not. They like their authority, and do not appreciate any discussion or dissent. While you may not see this as a subversive act, or competition for WUS, they may not see it the same way, judging by past reactions.

Fingers crossed!
Last edited by HoustonReal on Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

HoustonReal wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:05 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:20 pm I have no animosity towards WUS or any of the membership. I didn't create this to be competition (really, how could it be?) but rather as a place for like-minded folks to continue posting deals.
I really appreciate this effort, but I worry the WUS admins may not. They like their authority, and do not appreciate any discussion or dissent. While you may not see this as a subversive act, or competition for WUS, they may not see it the same way, judging by past reactions.

Fingers crossed!
As long as we observe the first rule of Watch Deal Forum when on WUS ("Don't mention Watch Deal Forum!"), it's none of the WUS admins' business. Where I go and what I do elsewhere on the web is outside their wheelhouse. This isn't East Germany.
HoustonReal

Post by HoustonReal »

larand wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:25 pm As long as we observe the first rule of Watch Deal Forum when on WUS ("Don't mention Watch Deal Forum!"), it's none of the WUS admins' business. Where I go and what I do elsewhere on the web is outside their wheelhouse. This isn't East Germany.
I hope you're correct, but my experience with certain WUS admins brings to mind the words "authoritarian" and "heavy handed".
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

[/quote]
As long as we observe the first rule of Watch Deal Forum when on WUS ("Don't mention Watch Deal Forum!"), it's none of the WUS admins' business. Where I go and what I do elsewhere on the web is outside their wheelhouse. This isn't East Germany.
[/quote]

Funny you should mention it. Since a first had a few posts deleted a few days ago, I keep thinking about East Germany. If you mention in a post that a previous post was deleted, that post is deleted as well. I sent a PM to a frequent poster. While that PM remains on record, the link in the PM to this new forum was removed. Others are reporting similar problems. Years ago I read a book about Cold War East Germany called The File and I'm now increasingly associating WUS with the Stasi. Wait....you weren't sent here by WUS to spy on me were you? :o :D
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

HoustonReal wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:05 pm
I really appreciate this effort, but I worry that the WUS admins may not. They like their authority, and do not appreciate any discussion or dissent. While you may not see this as a subversive act, or competition for WUS, they may not see it the same way, judging by past reactions.

Fingers crossed!
At this juncture I'd rather not be banned, but if it happens, it happens.

A few of my posts were deleted today, and not a single one of them directly mentioned or referenced this site.

If the staff and ownership is so threatened by a nobody, that says more about them than it does about me.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

yinzburgher wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:01 pm Funny you should mention it. Since a first had a few posts deleted a few days ago, I keep thinking about East Germany. If you mention in a post that a previous post was deleted, that post is deleted as well. I sent a PM to a frequent poster. While that PM remains on record, the link in the PM to this new forum was removed. Others are reporting similar problems. Years ago I read a book about Cold War East Germany called The File and I'm now increasingly associating WUS with the Stasi. Wait....you weren't sent here by WUS to spy on me were you? :o :D
It is highly unlikely that they are checking peoples messages. How would they know which ones to check? More likely there's some kind of filter that is doing it or alerting them to the messages.

Linking to a reference to the website somewhere else, such as in an Instagram post. Or using Tiny URL. Maybe those methods might work?

And probably best not to say "Heads Up!" They definitely might have some kind of filter checking for that :D
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

cel4145 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:54 pm Or using Tiny URL. Maybe those methods might work?
WUS has filtered a lot of short URL services as they break the affiliate codes WUS injects in to outgoing links.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Penfold36
MoT Member

Post by Penfold36 »

I wanted to applaud yinzburgher's genius way of getting this forum out there. I'm sure some of you have seen it. Well done, sir!
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

ManOnTime wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:33 pm At this point one has to assume it's about saving face, and that they're at a loss on how to do it.
Out of curiosity, you still welcome on WUS?
The Mods seem fairly petulant of late.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find