We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Ways to promote this forum?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Penfold36
MoT Member

Re: Ways to promote this forum?

Post by Penfold36 »

I commend everyone's efforts, but we really should tread carefully. We really don't want to get banned over there. It still has other things that we presumably enjoy plus the sales forum is a huge bonus. Of course, this site could become those things over time. Also, I would feel bad if people got banned over there, then they opened the deals thread back up, and everybody left here, leaving those who got banned hanging.

With all that said, this thread is booming right now, and it's nice being on the ground floor of MoT's creation. It feels cool to be an original member. I also think it was started at the right time (not just out of necessity, but because of the deals season we are in). It just needs to survive any deal thread reopening over there and the slow deal time that will approach in the spring. Let's keep it going!
TwoSecondsPerDay
MoT Member

Post by TwoSecondsPerDay »

Penfold36 wrote:I commend everyone's efforts, but we really should tread carefully. We really don't want to get banned over there. It still has other things that we presumably enjoy plus the sales forum is a huge bonus. Of course, this site could become those things over time. Also, I would feel bad if people got banned over there, then they opened the deals thread back up, and everybody left here, leaving those who got banned hanging.
That's why you create a new user name here!

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

TheJohnP wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:33 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:33 pm At this point one has to assume it's about saving face, and that they're at a loss on how to do it.
Out of curiosity, you still welcome on WUS?
The Mods seem fairly petulant of late.
So far, although some of my posts have been vanishing.

I also haven't had any kind of official communication, other than a small, polite back-and-forth with a moderator. I didn't respond further when it became clear he was attempting to bait me in to a trap.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Penfold36
MoT Member

Post by Penfold36 »

TwoSecondsPerDay wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:00 pm
Penfold36 wrote:I commend everyone's efforts, but we really should tread carefully. We really don't want to get banned over there. It still has other things that we presumably enjoy plus the sales forum is a huge bonus. Of course, this site could become those things over time. Also, I would feel bad if people got banned over there, then they opened the deals thread back up, and everybody left here, leaving those who got banned hanging.
That's why you create a new user name here!
Well, I was referring more to those of us who are trying to get the word out over there to other members who are unaware of this site, not necessarily the other site cross checking names between here and there. I suppose it's possible they could do it, but I doubt that would happen. I mean a lot of us have the same user name across other forums (Rolex, Reddit, Omega, etc.), and it's not a problem.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Penfold36 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:50 pm I commend everyone's efforts, but we really should tread carefully. We really don't want to get banned over there.
That is the last thing I'd want to have happen. Anyone who is a member of WUS is welcome to be a member here, and the idealist part of me would hope the reverse is true. Mi casa es su casa, et cetera, et cetera.

I've mentioned this ad nauseam, but I didn't create this to spit in WUS' eye. If anything I created it out of a selfish desire to be able to finish the 2018 stats.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Well looks like the dictators *ahem* mods on WUS deleted all of our recent posts about this forum in the "deals update" thread. They REALLY don't like this.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
cheddar
MoT Member

Ways to promote this forum?

Post by cheddar »

The banning of a thread followed by deletion of all references to an alternative is a sign of an unhealthy, ego-driven, power-obsessed community. If the banning of the thread had been for the reasons cited, having someone offer an alternative to save their resources should have been welcomed. By now, it seems that this has been more about showing off power all along. I’ve offered a pittance of what most folks at WUS have, but I’d like to think I’ve helped a few folks over there. However, in the last couple of days I’ve refrained from posting anything over there because of the increasingly ridiculous behavior.

An adult professional from my world in this situation would have said “hey, we can’t offer this anymore because of these legit reasons, but maybe someone else can. Best of luck if you can.”
Last edited by cheddar on Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

Weeeeelllll...the rules over at WUS do explicitly forbid posting pointers to other watch fora, so it's really no more a surprise those mentions are getting smacked down any more than it is that the continued attempts at re-creating new deals threads were being locked.

On the other hand, when I first found WUS I noticed there were a notable number of users who appeared to be solid contributors to the board, registered for years, large post counts, and the posts I saw from them were useful, reasonable, relevant, and generally exactly the type you want to see on a board, yet they were all banned. I've seen other places like that too, and over the years I've noticed that boards with this symptom have always turned out to be dysfunctional. Whether it's the admins or the users or both, whether there was corruption or immaturity, whatever caused it, the not-insignificant number of useful but banned users has been a pretty solid indicator not to get too invested in the place.
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:Well looks like the dictators *ahem* mods on WUS deleted all of our recent posts about this forum in the "deals update" thread. They REALLY don't like this.
Gotta say that it's starting to feel like this over there:

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

squincher
MoT Member

Post by squincher »

I suspect the WUS management collective butthole slammed shut when they saw their hubris generated competition, instead of the meek compliance they expected. Small men react horribly in such situations.
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

They have't really indicated what they will do yet. And other than stating that the thread was becoming too large to manage they didn't really give an indication of why this occurred. No one has been banned yet even with some "iffy" skirting of the rules about directing people to this forum. They probably could have banned a few of us or at least given us a penalty of some sort and they didn't. I say just give them a break. They may decide the Deals thread is better off gone and will happily hand that over to MoT?

They made a decision to shut down the thread. MoT was able to offer us an alternative and I'm happy for that. I don't think we gain anything by imagining what their motivations are, insecurities might be, or current status of their anal orifices are.

The existence of MoT forum is just the free market at work and isn' it glorious!
-- Enjoy your time
IG: ikeepgoodtime
squincher
MoT Member

Post by squincher »

It was just idle griping, not an attempt to gain anything.
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

This site is now the #2 result when I search for HUISABH on Google.
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

larand wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:09 am This site is now the #2 result when I search for HUISABH on Google.
NICE!
-- Enjoy your time
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

squincher wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:43 am It was just idle griping, not an attempt to gain anything.
No worries mate....and I wasn't targeting you specifically....you just happened to make a comment that stuck in my head, loL!

I'm just as miffed by the whole fiasco as you. But I'm even more excited that we have a viable alternative!
-- Enjoy your time