We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Ways to promote this forum?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Re: Ways to promote this forum?

Post by Robotaz »

larand wrote:This site is now the #2 result when I search for HUISABH on Google.
The forum is on the first page of google hits searching for “watch deals forum”. I’m thinking it could really grow into big discussion.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

I've had 18 messages deleted on WUS in 2 days.... Anyone else?
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:11 pm I've had 18 messages deleted on WUS in 2 days.... Anyone else?
I couldn't give you a number, but it's not that many. Granted, I haven't posted much in the last couple of days.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:11 pm I've had 18 messages deleted on WUS in 2 days.... Anyone else?
I've had quite a few deleted but not that many. In fairness, some of my posts violated the rules so I guess it could be expected. But others were fairly innocuous and completely within bounds and they still felt the need to delete them. I don't seem to have any infractions under my name so I plan to just quit while I'm ahead and consider myself lucky as I hope to still visit WUS on occasion. It's always funny to see WUS members hanging out in the forum wearing an infraction on their profile like a scarlet letter. It's like a dog wearing that embarrassing cone on it's head. Also, I'm really not holding any big personal grudge against the moderators. Shutting the OG thread was likely a business decision made by someone who didn't have to do the dirty work of moderating. Plus, look around. Check out our new digs. I'm plenty happy to hang out here in MoT's new spot.

Now I see they've deleted a few posts from "Re: Deals thread update" and have now closed that thread. I imagine someone will start another. Might be interesting to see what WUS tolerates in this regard going forward. At some point they will likely start erasing/dismembering/unpersoning any poor soul who so much as thinks about a deal.
ticktockhack
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ticktockhack »

I am sure the income on WUS will be impacted by the loss of the forum. If anything would resurrect it, that would be the reason. But I am quite happy with MOT's version and perhaps it will take some time for the miscreants and scalawags to find it and start the TOS violations.

To MOT's credit, I am sure there will be huge hosting fees here unless he goes with an ad supported model as forums necessarily take allot of bandwidth as people tend to scroll and look at all pages of forum threads over time.

I personally am quite happy to promote MOT much as I did WUS to friends, family and other interested parties.
Jenny, Doxa, Armida, Seiko, Dagaz, Zelos, Bulova, Dan Henry, Alpina, Certina, Orient, Victorinox, Momentum, Rolex.... and those are just the divers!
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

ticktockhack wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:57 amTo MOT's credit, I am sure there will be huge hosting fees here unless he goes with an ad supported model as forums necessarily take allot of bandwidth as people tend to scroll and look at all pages of forum threads over time.
I am going to do whatever I can to prevent the intrusion of ads in to the user experience. I can bear the hosting costs as they are now, and for the foreseeable future, but I am not naive enough to think they couldn't quickly get overwhelming.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

ManOnTime wrote:
ticktockhack wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:57 amTo MOT's credit, I am sure there will be huge hosting fees here unless he goes with an ad supported model as forums necessarily take allot of bandwidth as people tend to scroll and look at all pages of forum threads over time.
I am going to do whatever I can to prevent the intrusion of ads in to the user experience. I can bear the hosting costs as they are now, and for the foreseeable future, but I am not naive enough to think they couldn't quickly get overwhelming.
I wouldn’t shoulder anything because I hope the place gets huge. Take donations or put in ads. This site is very generous.

I’m concerned it becomes a PITA for you.
ticktockhack
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ticktockhack »

I agree with Robotaz, let us help before it becomes a burden. One way or the other.
Jenny, Doxa, Armida, Seiko, Dagaz, Zelos, Bulova, Dan Henry, Alpina, Certina, Orient, Victorinox, Momentum, Rolex.... and those are just the divers!
Barry S.
MoT Member

Ways to promote this forum?

Post by Barry S. »

Well, it lasted almost four days and 118 posts (minus all the ones they deleted) but the latest "Deals Thread Update" on WUS has finally been locked.

Edit: Thanks to tsteph12, I see that a new HUISABH thread has been opened on WUS with specific ground rules including that each thread will run for one calendar month.

Too little, too late perhaps??
beefyt
MoT Member

Post by beefyt »

I finally found ya'll.

Just here for the drama!
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Barry S. wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:58 am Well, it lasted almost four days and 118 posts (minus all the ones they deleted) but the latest "Deals Thread Update" on WUS has finally been locked.

Edit: Thanks to tsteph12, I see that a new HUISABH thread has been opened on WUS with specific ground rules including that each thread will run for one calendar month.

I saw it as well. I find the "long threads slow down the site" reason laughable. There are plenty of other threads on WUS that are just as large, or larger than the HUISABH thread.

The rules outlined in the thread seem untenable on the surface as well, and I think take a lot of the fun out of it.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

ManOnTime wrote:
Barry S. wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:58 am Well, it lasted almost four days and 118 posts (minus all the ones they deleted) but the latest "Deals Thread Update" on WUS has finally been locked.

I saw it as well. I find the "long threads slow down the site" reason laughable. There are plenty of other threads on WUS that are just as large, or larger than the HUISABH thread.

The rules outlined in the thread seem untenable on the surface as well, and I think take a lot of the fun out of it.
Exactly, just called them out on it
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Barry S. wrote: Too little, too late perhaps??
I refuse to visit that thread. This is where I will post and find deals.
username
MoT Member

Post by username »

ManOnTime wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:31 am I am going to do whatever I can to prevent the intrusion of ads in to the user experience. I can bear the hosting costs as they are now, and for the foreseeable future, but I am not naive enough to think they couldn't quickly get overwhelming.
What about inserting an affiliate referral into Amazon, etc. links, as WUS and many other places do?

That is not intrusive, and IMO is not unethical if both disclosed and done at the forum level to benefit the forum by offsetting costs, rather than at the individual level where it raises conflict-of-interest questions and suspicions about the legitimacy of supposed bargains.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

ticktockhack wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:57 am I am sure the income on WUS will be impacted by the loss of the forum....
I think you are right, but I'd be surprised if anyone pays attention. VerticalScope, the private corporation that owns WUS, says they own 800+ websites. And yet they also say that they only have 200 employees, which means that they aren't paying moderators on those websites. My guess is that the corporation will probably not even notice and the moderators are probably too busy being police, judge, and jailer to pay much attention to the finer points of whether or not WUS is making money due to one thread loss. And BTW, VeritcalScope isn't even the top of the food chain. Torstar, a public media corporation in Canada owns a majority interest in VerticalScope.