We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Ways to promote this forum?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
username
MoT Member

Re: Ways to promote this forum?

Post by username »

Nice to see these Google results hold up to private browsing over a VPN (i.e., results not tailored to browser cookies or history from IP address). I can confirm the above results (at least the spelled out one) when I do this, but perhaps more importantly in the long run, I see MoT holding the third spot on Google when I do this and search simply for "watch deal forum" (without quotes). Pretty impressive result for a week-old forum!
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

username wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:15 am Nice to see these Google results hold up to private browsing over a VPN (i.e., results not tailored to browser cookies or history from IP address). I can confirm the above results (at least the spelled out one) when I do this, but perhaps more importantly in the long run, I see MoT holding the third spot on Google when I do this and search simply for "watch deal forum" (without quotes). Pretty impressive result for a week-old forum!
Yea, I tried "man on time", "watch deal forum" and "man on time watch deal forum" but didn't get any hits on the first few pages.
username
MoT Member

Post by username »

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:25 am
username wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:15 am Nice to see these Google results hold up to private browsing over a VPN (i.e., results not tailored to browser cookies or history from IP address). I can confirm the above results (at least the spelled out one) when I do this, but perhaps more importantly in the long run, I see MoT holding the third spot on Google when I do this and search simply for "watch deal forum" (without quotes). Pretty impressive result for a week-old forum!
Yea, I tried "man on time", "watch deal forum" and "man on time watch deal forum" but didn't get any hits on the first few pages.
Interesting. It worked for me. I fired up private browsing and hit Google via Firefox though a VPN exit 9,000 km from where I live, and watch deal forum showed this site as the third result.

Other people had posted Google results earlier which I couldn't replicate with my home location and cookies.

Maybe Google is being even more random than we give it credit for being?
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

What happens if you use 'manontime' instead?
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

ManOnTime wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:59 pm
What happens if you use 'manontime' instead?
Results for "manontime" are good.
1 - this forum
2 - your Telegram
3 - FB page for a Mr Time, first name Manon
4 - your Twitter
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:29 pm
Results for "manontime" are good.
1 - this forum
2 - your Telegram
3 - FB page for a Mr Time, first name Manon
4 - your Twitter
Similar results on Duckduckgo:
1) this forum
2) your instagram
3) your Twitter
4) Wkipedia entry for “Manon“, apparently a french opera comedy from 1800‘s

And of course several videos of Amir & Manon performing Time of My Life..
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

This should be in a "ways for MOT to pay for bandwidth" thread, but I didn't find one offhand, and this seems like a reasonable fit.

I recall seeing Spinnaker discount codes that appeared tailored to specific affiliates. My take was that an affiliate would push his code and earn some referral fees via buyers who used the code. Maybe something like that could be worked out between MOT and other sellers. And how cool to have a MANONTIME discount code? That's my kind of promotion.

I thought of this after seeing user deskdiver blocked for shilling. These guys want in, so offer them a path: give MOT an affiliate discount code and then put it in the code database -- maybe with a special call-out for helping support MOT.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

BostonCharlie wrote: This should be in a "ways for MOT to pay for bandwidth" thread, but I didn't find one offhand, and this seems like a reasonable fit.

I recall seeing Spinnaker discount codes that appeared tailored to specific affiliates. My take was that an affiliate would push his code and earn some referral fees via buyers who used the code. Maybe something like that could be worked out between MOT and other sellers. And how cool to have a MANONTIME discount code? That's my kind of promotion.

I thought of this after seeing user deskdiver blocked for shilling. These guys want in, so offer them a path: give MOT an affiliate discount code and then put it in the code database -- maybe with a special call-out for helping support MOT.
Thanks BC. I'm really grateful for all of the support everyone has shown.

A member has generously donated web hosting, so this site should be good in that regard for the foreseeable future.

However, there are other costs, and of course time, associated with operating something like this. I am hesitant to ask for the users to contribute, especially since at the current time I am able to bear the costs. That being said, I would be open to adding a PayPal donation button, but only with the strict knowledge that it is completely voluntary and I do not expect members to use it.

I like the idea of being able to provide discount codes to members. Hopefully it's something I'll be able to provide in the future, especially if this site grows and the name gets out there.

I think for now the best way to pass along this site is to talk about it with your friends, and post about it on other sites (of they permit that kind of thing) you are a member of, and to post links on social networks you utilize.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Some more quick funding ideas:

If you have an Amazon affiliate code, we could add it to our Amazon deal links by hand until something more automated is available. As for automation, there's the link mangler a'la Watchuseek. Or maybe add user-controlled functionality to the post composition form: the user clicks a button and your site performs its magic on any Amazon links it finds in the user's post.

Patreon might be a better fit to your purpose than a PayPal tip jar. I've read that vloggers have seen a healthy response from their audiences when they tie exclusive perks to Patreon membership. Seems like that could work here, too. Maybe offer a members-only lounge?
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

When the HUISABH thread on WUS went down I started a subreddit, r/watchbargains, in case we wound up migrating there. Nothing came of it since MOT started up, but I put a stickied post up saying to head over here for watch deals. That may help a tiny bit. Also I may post in r/FrugalWrist, another deals subreddit that gets very little posts but a bit of traffic.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Anyone post much on the watch discussions at Massdrop? If so, somebody could encourage the members to come share the Massdrop deals here as a way to promote MoT. I would do it, but I've only posted a couple of times in the discussions. It would be perceived as spamming.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Just wanted to point out that the WUS sanctioned deal thread was officially revived on 12/22 and currently has 182 posts.

MoT started the 2019 only focused thread on 1/1 and it has already surpassed 250 posts.

Job well done everyone!
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

TheJohnP wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:38 pm Just wanted to point out that the WUS sanctioned deal thread was officially revived on 12/22 and currently has 182 posts.

MoT started the 2019 only focused thread on 1/1 and it has already surpassed 250 posts.

Job well done everyone!
If you add in the posts in the 2018 HUISABH starting in 12/22, then that number is over 1250 compared to 182 :D
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

I love this forum. I am here 90% compared to 10% at WUS now.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Robotaz wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:07 pm I love this forum. I am here 90% compared to 10% at WUS now.
Thank you.

Also, me too! :lol:

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT