We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Ways to promote this forum?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
vta_watch
MoT Member

Re: Ways to promote this forum?

Post by vta_watch »

cel4145 wrote:
USMChawk wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:37 pm
larand wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:47 pm Heavy-handed moderation never ends well. One gets the feeling that someone got an order to allow the thread, but they're not happy about it.

Sent by shortwave radio via Tapatalk Heathkit Edition
Yeah, there’s definitely a penis measuring attitude.
4F436A16-BD7D-43B3-99DE-F6FBAFD1830C.png
I always wonder if moderators realized that kind of language is condescending? It sounds like something someone would say to eight year olds, not other adults.

Plus, this kind of rhetoric perpetuates an us-versus-them mentality, which seems counterproductive to effective community management.
Edited because I caused offense. My apologies, and I'll do better in the future.

Last edited by vta_watch on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Wow, not only condescending, but disrespecting a vet...(the WuS moderator who treated him like an 8yo).
Last edited by watchpalooza on Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

FTE wrote:Wow, not only condescending, but disrespecting a vet...
No disrespect intended. My profuse apologies if that's how it sounded, or if I condescended.

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

larand wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:59 am
No disrespect intended. My profuse apologies if that's how it sounded, or if I condescended.

Hold on! no, not you...the moderator on WuS who was talking to him like an 8yo.... Sorry for not being clearer! I was agreeing with you.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

FTE wrote:
larand wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:59 am

Hold on! no, not you...the moderator on WuS who was talking to him like an 8yo.... Sorry for not being clearer! I was agreeing with you.
Thanks for clarifying, but it's just as well. Let's focus on this place, not the shortcomings we find elsewhere. Let's make it better.

Robotaz
MoT Member

Ways to promote this forum?

Post by Robotaz »

I have no problem with Bo or really 95% of WUS in general. Bo has a job to do and I leave it at that.

There are a couple of mods who are incredibly knowledgeable, but burned out dealing with newbs. They need to move on and help contribute as members.

Then there are others like Hartmut Richter, the Zenith mod, that are just awesome and a real privilege to learn under. There are others I want to nod to that I’m not mentioning.

WUS has been a significant part of my life for about 7-8 years now. I’ll always hang out there if they allow me.

But I like this place. I’ll be here as long as it’s around.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

The mods over at WuS now changed my signature to “It would be wise not to abuse our hospitality - Admin”. Congratulations, that means they consider this site to be a “competitive watch forum site”.
Click Icon To Contact Me

HoustonReal

Post by HoustonReal »

The new HUISABH on WUS seems to contain as many "The admins deleted my link" posts, as it does bargains. The admins seem to be going crazy deleting anything that doesn't "look" like a straight link, or in any way mentions their heavy handed enforcement.

I would rather not go near that WUS thread, for fear of showing up on their radar, when the admins are obviously PO'd that they had to restart the thread.

My personal feeling is that one of the admins took the wrong lessons from his military service, and instead of appreciating the First Amendment's protection of free speech, embraced the "There's the right way, the wrong way, the Air Force way, and MY WAY" catchphrase. I am not disrespecting veterans by saying that, but being an USAF veteran myself, I know that some members often couldn't see the forest through the trees.

BTW - The moderators are unpaid. Unlike other WUS mods who seem interested in contributing to discussions and imparting their knowledge and love of watches, the Affordables admin only seems concerned with rules enforcement, which may explain why this went horribly wrong.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

HoustonReal wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:49 pm My personal feeling is that one of the admins took the wrong lessons from his military service, and instead of appreciating the First Amendment's protection of free speech, embraced the "There's the right way, the wrong way, the Air Force way, and MY WAY" catchphrase. I am not disrespecting veterans by saying that, but being an USAF veteran myself, I know that some members often couldn't see the forest through the trees.
I agree with your sentiment, until I get to the part I highlighted.

WUS (and this site) are private enterprises. As such, our rights end the second we click that log in button. Since it's their playground they can enforce rules as they see fit, or even create new ones on the fly. As users all we can do is take it or leave it.

That being said, the way forum staff choose or are told to enforce order is what matters. I've admin'd pretty large forums for over 15 years, and if I've learned anything, a heavy-handed, by the throat approach never works. All it ever results in is animosity on both sides, and what we've witnessed happening.

Personally, I like to operate with a light touch. I figure we are all adults and we can be trusted to act as such. Of course that doesn't mean I'm not willing to jump in and get my hands dirty if need be, but I've learned that with a light touch and the occasional gentle corrections when need be, a community can thrive.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
squincher
MoT Member

Post by squincher »

My guess is that he was probably a dick long before he ever heard of the USAF.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Now I have been banned on WuS! Since the admin chose to publicly change my signature rather than PM that a rule had been broken, I left the admin comment in my signature and simply added "^ This from putting a link to Manotime's new site in my signature. Guess it is considered a competitive forum. Lesson learned, sorry!" Here is the response:

"You have been banned for the following reason:
This 30 day temp-ban shouldn't come as a surprise

Date the ban will be lifted: January 24th, 2019, 02:00"

Of course I was poking the bear, but I am not sure there is an actual rule violation here. I am not questioning the admin and there is no link....all I did is mention another member. If they did not want things to play out publicly in a signature, then they shouldn't have put their message in my signature. Anyway, I will stop talking about WuS here as we have more important things to discuss...like deals!!!!
Last edited by watchpalooza on Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click Icon To Contact Me

mleok
MoT Member

Post by mleok »

mconlonx wrote:Someone used some very creative use of Bold to suggest this site on one of the threads... well played *golf clap*
That’s how I found out about this forum.
HoustonReal

Post by HoustonReal »

ManOnTime wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:35 pm
HoustonReal wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:49 pm My personal feeling is that one of the admins took the wrong lessons from his military service, and instead of appreciating the First Amendment's protection of free speech, embraced the "There's the right way, the wrong way, the Air Force way, and MY WAY" catchphrase. I am not disrespecting veterans by saying that, but being an USAF veteran myself, I know that some members often couldn't see the forest through the trees.
I agree with your sentiment, until I get to the part I highlighted.

WUS (and this site) are private enterprises. As such, our rights end the second we click that log in button. Since it's their playground they can enforce rules as they see fit, or even create new ones on the fly. As users all we can do is take it or leave it.

That being said, the way forum staff choose or are told to enforce order is what matters. I've admin'd pretty large forums for over 15 years, and if I've learned anything, a heavy-handed, by the throat approach never works. All it ever results in is animosity on both sides, and what we've witnessed happening.

Personally, I like to operate with a light touch. I figure we are all adults and we can be trusted to act as such. Of course that doesn't mean I'm not willing to jump in and get my hands dirty if need be, but I've learned that with a light touch and the occasional gentle corrections when need be, a community can thrive.
I know, being a private enterprise, WUS can make its own rules as to what is acceptable. What chafes on me is the unnecessary restriction on ever questioning why certain actions were taken. The lifting of the AliExpress ban is a good example. The couple of times I inquired about the previous ban, I got a very snappish answer about viruses. When I disagreed with that assessment, since it was provably false, I was told that the decisions of the Admins and Management could not be questioned, and any further discussion could lead to a membership ban or revocation. I'm really not a big fan of anything that smacks of lèse-majesté, but that seems to be in full force on WUS. There is what you can legally do as a business, and sometimes that amounts to being a jerk.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

HoustonReal wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:29 amThere is what you can legally do as a business, and sometimes that amounts to being a jerk.
Agreed,and some of their staff certainly excel at the latter.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Starting to get some better results from Google.