We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Complaint of the Day

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Re: Complaint of the Day

Post by peskydonut »

Apparently this isn't a new phenomenon. This was a fun read from M-W:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... -literally
The use of literally in a fashion that is hyperbolic or metaphoric is not new—evidence of this use dates back to 1769. Its inclusion in a dictionary isn't new either; the entry for literally in our 1909 unabridged dictionary states that the word is “often used hyperbolically; as, he literally flew.” We (and all the other “craven dictionary editors”) have included this definition for a very simple reason: a lot of people use it this way, and our entries are based on evidence of use. Furthermore, the fact that so many people are writing angry letters serves as a sort of secondhand evidence, as they would hardly be complaining about this usage if it had not become common.
Living a comeback montage.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

peskydonut wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:28 am

Apparently this isn't a new phenomenon. This was a fun read from M-W:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... -literally
The use of literally in a fashion that is hyperbolic or metaphoric is not new—evidence of this use dates back to 1769. Its inclusion in a dictionary isn't new either; the entry for literally in our 1909 unabridged dictionary states that the word is “often used hyperbolically; as, he literally flew.” We (and all the other “craven dictionary editors”) have included this definition for a very simple reason: a lot of people use it this way, and our entries are based on evidence of use. Furthermore, the fact that so many people are writing angry letters serves as a sort of secondhand evidence, as they would hardly be complaining about this usage if it had not become common.
Aaaaaahh dammit! The dictionary people are in on it too. :?
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

yinzburgher wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:39 am
Aaaaaahh dammit! The dictionary people are in on it too. :?
I literally had to cover the bases by looking up the definition of "literally."

:)
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

yinzburgher wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:43 am I was thinking about posting something here and then that damn @peskydonut beat me to it in the mistake of the day thread. I'm normally not too concerned with errors in the speech or writing of others. My own posts here are littered with spelling and grammatical errors. But I think we may have reached peak misuse of the word "literally." I started noticing it a couple years ago but in the past few months I hear the word all the time and rarely is it being used correctly. Not long ago I heard a presidential candidate say that we are going to have to "literally put the world back together," which implies to me that the earth has broken into pieces. Then a few days ago I heard a new reporter say that someone was "literally living high off the hog," once again using literally to describe figurative language. Those are just two recent examples but I hear people use the word A LOT. It can apparently mean figuratively, metaphorically, really, actually, virtually, very or it can just be used as a filler world if you don't know what else to say. Serious question......Do anyone know how this happened? Maybe a cultural moment that I missed but others are aware of. How can a word come to mean its opposite or come to have no real meaning in such a short amount of time? To be completely honest, my big fear is that I hear it so much that I just start using the word in the same way.

Only if you count "short amount of time" as 300 years.

https://www.thecut.com/2018/01/the-300- ... ively.html
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

I got a chuckle out of this one
Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 7.52.02 AM.png
Living a comeback montage.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Hold on.
The blue Alpinist dropped down to $450 and we all missed that?!?
Or is Seiko pulling a "Jomashop" by posting a low price on an out of stock item?

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

TheJohnP wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:19 pm Hold on.
The blue Alpinist dropped down to $450 and we all missed that?!?
Or is Seiko pulling a "Jomashop" by posting a low price on an out of stock item?

I don't like the green/gold combo on the regular Alpinist. But I love the blue/polished stainless look of this version.

Good thing it's not $450, or I would be tempted. :phew:
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I feel like my father more and more each day.

At the eye doc today. Prescription for glasses. But only really need them for reading and night driving. Also have some tiny cataracts forming.

Being 40+ is awesome. :lol:
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

ManOnTime wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:50 pm I feel like my father more and more each day.

At the eye doc today. Prescription for glasses. But only really need them for reading and night driving. Also have some tiny cataracts forming.

-------

A bit of advice:

The first chance you get to have cataract surgery, do it.

I had it done 1 1/2 years go, and for the first time in a zillion decades, I could see without glasses or contacts.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Work is insanely busy right now. I am working late evenings every night for the last two weeks and this week as well. Really making it tough to make family time which we really value around the holiday season. We'll survive fine, but man is it annoying. Haven't even been out to see Christmas lights yet.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

cortman wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:24 pm Work is insanely busy right now. I am working late evenings every night for the last two weeks and this week as well. Really making it tough to make family time which we really value around the holiday season. We'll survive fine, but man is it annoying. Haven't even been out to see Christmas lights yet.
Know what you mean...I am kind of in the same place, only next week off should help.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

watchpalooza wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:20 pm
cortman wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:24 pm Work is insanely busy right now. I am working late evenings every night for the last two weeks and this week as well. Really making it tough to make family time which we really value around the holiday season. We'll survive fine, but man is it annoying. Haven't even been out to see Christmas lights yet.
Know what you mean...I am kind of in the same place, only next week off should help.
I'm hoping to get the same but I can't be guaranteed of it if stuff doesn't get done. Doesn't help that my team is criminally understaffed and burdened with a useless lout of a guy the higher ups won't fire.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:04 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:50 pm I feel like my father more and more each day.

-------

A bit of advice:

The first chance you get to have cataract surgery, do it.

I had it done 1 1/2 years go, and for the first time in a zillion decades, I could see without glasses or contacts.

As soon as the doc suggests it, I'll do it. He says it's a few years away.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Having travelled all throughout this great nation, stopping at countless gas stations, supermarkets and convenience stores, I have concluded and do declare:

vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

FedEx Smartpost: When it absolutely, positively has to be there at some indefinite point in the future whenever we feel like delivering it.

Tap. Talk. Buy a watch. Repeat.