COVID-19 in My Neighborhood... Literally

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

COVID-19 in My Neighborhood... Literally

Post by Sporkboy »

The local school that is 3 blocks from my home was shut down for cleaning after a student came down with symptoms. Test is pending.

We went to that playground yesterday and my daughter goes to preschool with siblings of kids that go to the affected school. Looks like it is going to be a fun time for Sporkboy.
Boourns
MoT Member

Re: COVID-19 in My Neighborhood... Literally

Post by Boourns »

Scary stuff. Fortunately I believe the consensus is that the virus is much less dangerous to children than the elderly. So silver lining for your kid, at least. Hope you and your family stay safe.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Boourns wrote:Scary stuff. Fortunately I believe the consensus is that the virus is much less dangerous to children than the elderly. So silver lining for your kid, at least. Hope you and your family stay safe.
Thanks. We are safe, but we have elders that are out and about, so at least some of them are playing it safe. Went to Market Basket this weekend. Arrived before they officially opened and it was still a mad house. I made it though, and we have a decent amount of supplies.

Some people used to have chicken pox parties to get kids exposed. I wonder if we should do that for adults and this virus. I would just like to get it over with and let it burn out.

The real question is, if I am quarantined for 2 weeks, should I make sure I have my watchmaking gear with me and work on watches? Probably stuff to do around the house (along with actually getting better and stuff).
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

Hope everything goes well for you, your family and everyone involved.
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

mplsabdullah wrote:Hope everything goes well for you, your family and everyone involved.
Thank you. So far, so good. My work, a Boston hospital, is freaking out about it though. I think there were 6 different t emails about it this morning. Attending professional conferences has been forbidden and I am trying to make work preparations for a 2 week quarantine and encouraging my supervisor to get with it vs. taking a week will deal with it when it becomes a problem approach. There are other things at play there though.

Anyway, it will definitely be an interesting time.
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

I'm in Socal so I definitely understand the fear. People have been crazy buying up all the toilet papers and hand sanitizers.

I wish you well! Stay safe.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sporkboy wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:44 pmSome people used to have chicken pox parties to get kids exposed. I wonder if we should do that for adults and this virus.

Absolutely not.

It is extremely rare for someone to die from the chickenpox, 0.001% of affected patients by the last study I read. Covid-19, on the other hand, has a 3.4% death rate (according to WHO). That's not a set of dice I'd be willing to roll.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

It’s turning out to be just another virus. Schools are already reopening here after parents were confirmed. I’m past the cautious mode and back to the usual. If I get sick, I’ll lie in bed for two day, complain, and be pissed off at work again like usual.
WhaleTail
MoT Member

Post by WhaleTail »

It baffle me why “toilet paper”?

Of all things that you could be hoarding, why? This not the cholera where severe diarrhea and vomiting are the main symptoms .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aka: Watchout on WUS.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

WhaleTail wrote:It baffle me why “toilet paper”?

Of all things that you could be hoarding, why? This not the cholera where severe diarrhea and vomiting are the main symptoms .

I'm confused by the toilet paper thing to. I actually needed to buy some today and Costco was completely out in spite if their imposing a limit of 2 part day

%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:44 pmSome people used to have chicken pox parties to get kids exposed. I wonder if we should do that for adults and this virus.

Absolutely not.

It is extremely rare for someone to die from the chickenpox, 0.001% of affected patients by the last study I read. Covid-19, on the other hand, has a 3.4% death rate (according to WHO). That's not a set of dice I'd be willing to roll.
I will give you that. I don’t want a 3.4% chance of death. Though, the number would probably go way down if we spread the virus on purpose. Not saying that is a good idea though.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

mplsabdullah wrote:

I'm confused by the toilet paper thing to. I actually needed to buy some today and Costco was completely out in spite if their imposing a limit of 2 part day

It only takes one person from the CDC to tell a reporter that when it comes to being prepared that we are in ‘deep ****’ and suddenly there is a run on TP.
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

FACTS around CONTAGION/FATALITIES

100 exposed = 30 infected + showing symptoms

30 infected = 2% will die or .6 people (mostly over 65 yo and/or immune system compromised)

So less than .6 people or roughly 1 in 200 if you are over 65 and immunocompromised.

BEST DEFENSE

Wash your hands, don't touch your face

Social distancing - don't shake hands or commune in large groups

SANITATION

The virus can live on surfaces for hours (2 believed) not days

Clean to remove particulates, NOT sterilize

Because of what I do for a living I'm knee deep in this stuff with an Ex-WHO and Ex-CDC Doctor of contagious disease on retainer. The biggest enemy right now is misinformation. Thankfully we don't have a president who spreads or tweets any misguided beliefs. Wait....what? 
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

mplsabdullah wrote:

Go to a local store instead of [MoT Edit] Costco and there’s plenty.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

This thing will be everywhere at some point. It does appear to be mild for the fast majority of people, but our infrastructure needs to be ready for the elderly and those with underlying conditions. I'm a little dismayed at the panic and misinformation. Hopefully this will pass.