We're Moving!

Click for more info.

COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by peskydonut »

Robotaz wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:47 pm
peskydonut wrote:
Robotaz wrote: It’s interesting that if you’re boosted you don’t even have to quarantine after exposure. Only wear a mask for 10 days.
Seems that they're trying to walk the razor's edge between caution and pragmatism.
I agree!

The issue I have with that, is that companies use these guidelines and now you’ll have exposed people at work who may or not be wearing good masks, and wearing them properly. I think if I were an employer I would probably stick with the 5 days if my employees worked indoors and in close proximity to each other.
FWIW, my kid's daycare is opting to follow the more conservative approach, which I'm just fine with...
We are aware of the changes made by the CDC to isolation requirements, but those changes WILL NOT be implemented at this time. Anyone who tests positive for COVID will still need to complete a 10 day isolation.
Edit: This may be coming down from Colorado/County Public Health and not the daycare, the phrasing was a little ambiguous.
Living a comeback montage.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Coming to a metro near you (if it hasn't already). Omicron was first found in Houston on 12/6.
harris_county_new_cases.png
harris_county_hospital_population_trend.png
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Fight against COVID-19 surge intensifies, as NY hits another new high in cases

New York saw a new single-day pandemic high of positive cases on Tuesday, officials said. The state had 67,090 new cases, a single-day jump of 26,310 cases from the prior day, according to state figures.

Newsday
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

This BBC News article features this interesting graph comparing hospitalizations over time for a few different countries:

They also offer an estimate of "incidental Covid" cases in hospitals:
[Dr Lewis Rubinson, the chief medical officer of Morristown Medical Center in New Jersey] attributed the rising numbers, partially, to increased testing of everyone who comes in the hospital for any reason. In the US, UK and Canada, newly admitted patients are tested for Covid regardless of what brought them to a hospital.

In the UK, this proportion of so-called incidental Covid cases has been estimated by National Health Service bosses to be between 20-30% of cases.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I just saw this. Quoted here from VOA, but I see it being reported by Reuters and Bloomberg, among others.

https://www.voanews.com/a/eu-drug-regul ... 95174.html
The European Union’s drug regulator is warning that too many doses of COVID-19 vaccines could eventually weaken the body’s immune system, rendering the extra shots ineffective.

Marco Cavaleri, the head of vaccine strategy for the European Medicines Agency, said earlier this week that booster shots can be administered “once, or maybe twice, but it's not something that we think should be repeated constantly.” Cavaleri said instead that boosters should be administered just like an annual flu vaccination.

Cavaleri is the latest health expert to urge against offering a fourth shot of a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine in an effort to provide extra protection against emerging variants of the coronavirus. Britain’s Health Security Agency said last week there was “no immediate need” for people to get a fourth shot, as the current booster regimens are providing good levels of protection. The World Health Organization has repeatedly said that providing first doses to poorer nations is a higher priority than richer nations offering boosters.

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Maybe old news, but I just learned about this. Here is where you can order free covid tests sent to your house:

https://special.usps.com/testkits
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

The infection rate is more than double the highest I had seen it where I live. Last night I picked up burgers at Texas Roadhouse and the place was packed. Had a long wait and every seat at the bar taken. It was a madhouse. People here have moved on I guess. My wife has several coworkers out sick. Now there’s COVID, flu, and even some rhino virus or something making kids sick in Colorado. Lots of sick people. It will be interesting to observe the virus dead zone afterwards where hardly anyone is left to get sick.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Robotaz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:03 am The infection rate is more than double the highest I had seen it where I live. Last night I picked up burgers at Texas Roadhouse and the place was packed. Had a long wait and every seat at the bar taken. It was a madhouse. People here have moved on I guess. My wife has several coworkers out sick. Now there’s COVID, flu, and even some rhino virus or something making kids sick in Colorado. Lots of sick people. It will be interesting to observe the virus dead zone afterwards where hardly anyone is left to get sick.
The infection rate appears to have peaked in Houston after growing to about 3x the previous max. Hospitalizations are also trending better:
harris_county_new_cases.png
harris_county_hospital_pop_trend.png
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Looks like COVID took Fred Amos the legend down. What a BS disease. Lots of people lost.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Didn't know they had mentioned a cause of death for Fred.
Sad news, regardless of the reason.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

TheJohnP wrote:Didn't know they had mentioned a cause of death for Fred.
Sad news, regardless of the reason.
It was in his obituary.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

A specific Omicron Vaccine is in the works..

However is so far down the line we night be facing another variant by the time it rolls out.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
Robotaz
MoT Member

COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by Robotaz »

Spirit of the Watch wrote:A specific Omicron Vaccine is in the works..

However is so far down the line we night be facing another variant by the time it rolls out.
I think the pharma companies are going after vaccines for everything, but it’s starting to look like they’re going to be a hard sell until worse variants come out. And I expect the government to start throttling back burning billions to put in their pockets for the effort.

It’s going to be interesting to see where this goes.

I had an autoimmune reaction to my third Pfizer shot and I’m done. The right side of my body has a bizarre nerve problem that so far can only be attributed to an undiagnosed and impossible-to-diagnose autoimmune issue. Rheumatologist says nothing to treat, but I’ve got life changing issues that started the day after the third shot. I had a few little blips on the radar after the second, but wasn’t concerned. I’ll be using medical waiver from here on and just hoping to God this clears up. If I’d had no symptoms I’d keep getting the boosters as advised.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Robotaz wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:30 pm
Spirit of the Watch wrote:A specific Omicron Vaccine is in the works..

I think the pharma companies are going after vaccines for everything, but it’s starting to look like they’re going to be a hard sell until worse variants come out. And I expect the government to start throttling back burning billions to put in their pockets for the effort.

It’s going to be interesting to see where this goes.

I had an autoimmune reaction to my third Pfizer shot and I’m done. The right side of my body has a bizarre nerve problem that so far can only be attributed to an undiagnosed and impossible-to-diagnose autoimmune issue. Rheumatologist says nothing to treat, but I’ve got life changing issues that started the day after the third shot. I had a few little blips on the radar after the second, but wasn’t concerned. I’ll be using medical waiver from here on and just hoping to God this clears up. If I’d had no symptoms I’d keep getting the boosters as advised.
--------

I hope your condition clears up.