COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by Sporkboy »

Shopping was a mess. Arrived before official opening, and people were already leaving with full carts. Turns out you can get there around an hour ahead of opening and start shopping.

It felt like shopping at 10am the day before Thanksgiving and not like 6:45am on a Saturday. By the time I checked out (only 15 minutes from getting in line to checking out, so not bad) all of the carts in the store were gone, and they usually have a lot of carts.

No TP, eggs or bleach. Baked beans mostly gone. I did get some rubbing alcohol though, which was nice as I was running low.

Trader Joe’s was nuts. One person was grabbing g armfuls of frozen food and overfilled the cart. That was the only person that was just madly grabbing things, but who knows who they were shopping for.
Attachments
7FCAF158-99E5-4D74-AF2E-1C6622AAAEB6.jpeg
3164605C-81DF-4F74-A3CE-3D9BD59B682B.jpeg
8AA3EB4B-B7A2-4F75-8D5A-7A2AA615BC31.jpeg
5D7301EA-6DE7-4C84-B2D5-75BD05BF4701.jpeg
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

Wanna hear a Coronavirus Joke?

You won't get it!
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

By the by:

I noticed how many members (or members of their families) work in the healthcare profession.

From the bottom of my heart--thank you, thank you, thank you!
kinglee
MoT Member

Post by kinglee »

I'm a field service tech with a major medical equipment/pharma company. I cover the SE USA, everything west to Texas and North to Tennessee. I spent all last week working in Florida. Over the weekend I emailed my manager and said I'm not flying anymore until this is contained.

I'm 65 so I'm higher risk than the general population and I'm not comfortable flying with who knows what when I see so many dumb butts can't even wash their hands after they use the public restrooms!

So I'm getting up at 5:OOam in the morning to drive to Melbourne FL, then Jacksonville and then to Kissimmee for my work week.

I am betting that in the next week or 2 hospitals are going to stop allowing any vendors to access the hospitals unless they are actively involved in patient care or to repair a critical piece of equipment.
It is easier to forgive than to dispose of a body!
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

kinglee wrote:I'm a field service tech with a major medical equipment/pharma company. I cover the SE USA, everything west to Texas and North to Tennessee. I spent all last week working in Florida. Over the weekend I emailed my manager and said I'm not flying anymore until this is contained.

I'm 65 so I'm higher risk than the general population and I'm not comfortable flying with who knows what when I see so many dumb butts can't even wash their hands after they use the public restrooms!

So I'm getting up at 5:OOam in the morning to drive to Melbourne FL, then Jacksonville and then to Kissimmee for my work week.

I am betting that in the next week or 2 hospitals are going to stop allowing any vendors to access the hospitals unless they are actively involved in patient care or to repair a critical piece of equipment.
Just received my first notice from one of the hospitals we go to doing this.
Basically if you're an outsider, you have to be absolutely necessary to patient care to go in.

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33

Insta me: bbrou33
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Bbrou33 wrote:
kinglee wrote:I'm a field service tech with a major medical equipment/pharma company. I cover the SE USA, everything west to Texas and North to Tennessee. I spent all last week working in Florida. Over the weekend I emailed my manager and said I'm not flying anymore until this is contained.

Basically if you're an outsider, you have to be absolutely necessary to patient care to go in.

I wonder if flu season is going to change after this. We’ll have a vaccine for the Wuhan Virus but the flu will March onward.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Bbrou33 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:35 pm

The hospital where I'm working just temporarily adapted its visiting policy to one visitor per patient per day. I'm a little surprised but I think it's the right decision at the moment.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by Sporkboy »

Robotaz wrote:
Bbrou33 wrote:

I wonder if flu season is going to change after this. We’ll have a vaccine for the Wuhan Virus but the flu will March onward.
Please no references to to Wuhan Virus. Talk of this type is what locked the last thread. Since the scientists are calling it a novel Coronavirus, I would suggest we stick with that. Since doing otherwise can take us down the road to locking the thread.

Personally, I am enjoying hearing about everyone’s experiences. Mad respect for Yinzburgher and all the heath care personnel for being on the front line here.

Thank you,
Sporkboy
Last edited by Sporkboy on Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Wuhan Virus
This is a politically charged name propogated by a member of congress. No medical or scientific authority anywhere refers to novel coronavirus/Covid19 as that, and if we are going to host discussion of it and the massively disruptive effects it is having, we won't be using the term here either.

Members can either choose to respect my wishes and directive on this, or they can choose not to participate in the discussion.

Thank you.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Judging by the empty shelves around here, Wal-Mart customers seem to hoard different things than Kroger customers.

For myself, I just bought some stock for the first time in years. I am not a trader, so I just dipped my toe into an S&P 500 index ETF. If it goes up, I can say I got the deal. If it goes down, I still have cash available to buy more -- it's a win-win in my imperfect human mind.

I am also trying to keep my immune system in good shape with good food, good sleep, light exercise, vitamins and low stress.

Stay healthy everybody!
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Sporkboy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:47 am
Robotaz wrote:
Bbrou33 wrote:

Please no references to to Wuhan Virus. Talk of this type is what licked the last thread. Since the scientists are calling it a novel Coronavirus, I would suggest we stick with that. Since doing otherwise can take us down the road to locking the thread.

Personally, I am enjoying hearing about everyone’s experiences. Mad respect for Yinzburgher and all the heath care personnel for being on the front line here.

Thank you,
Sporkboy
I agree with [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] and [mention]ManOnTime[/mention], and use of such a term would have greater effects than just locking the thread.

[mention]yinzburgher[/mention] is on the front line and he has time to keep track of new releases. Mad respect indeed.

Updates: our local pool is closed for the week, with further updates coming out on Friday. I think it will remain closed for at least a few weeks. I guess it's time to dig out my running shoes. Many restaurants are still open. One of the local hospitals stopped allowing visitors to enter the facility last week (unless the patient they are visiting is at risk of passing, and apparently a MD has to give permission then for friends and family members to visit, and I bet they would limit the number of visitors per visit).
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

pdsf wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:47 am
Robotaz wrote: I wonder if flu season is going to change after this. We’ll have a vaccine for the Wuhan Virus but the flu will March onward.
Please no references to to Wuhan Virus. Talk of this type is what licked the last thread. Since the scientists are calling it a novel Coronavirus, I would suggest we stick with that. Since doing otherwise can take us down the road to locking the thread.

Thank you,
Sporkboy
I agree with [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] and [mention]ManOnTime[/mention], and use of such a term would have greater effects than just locking the thread.

[mention]yinzburgher[/mention] is on the front line and he has time to keep track of new releases. Mad respect indeed.

Updates: our local pool is closed for the week, with further updates coming out on Friday. I think it will remain closed for at least a few weeks. I guess it's time to dig out my running shoes. Many restaurants are still open. One of the local hospitals stopped allowing visitors to enter the facility last week (unless the patient they are visiting is at risk of passing, and apparently a MD has to give permission then for friends and family members to visit, and I bet they would limit the number of visitors per visit).
Things are getting pretty serious up here. NYC will basically shut down after today.
The hospitals I go to (in and out of NYC) are basically cancelling all elective surgeries and visitations. Some areas are getting prepped to be used as extra ICU areas. Preparing for the worst really.
It's about to be a rough ride for a bit. Made a small run to the store yesterday out in Queens to get some produce and a few meats.

Good luck everyone and stay safe.

Insta me: bbrou33
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Wow. So the name of the virus is already made into being PC or not? Whatever. This society needs a good purge apparently.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Robotaz wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:45 am Wow. So the name of the virus is already made into being PC or not? Whatever. This society needs a good purge apparently.
The name of the virus is Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Crowing about not being able to call it a divisive name created by a member of congress because he considers it to be a "hoax" is not because anyone is being "PC".

Being "PC" would be allowing you to continue to spew this bile even after I have very kindly asked for it to stop. I've been kind thus far, and I would hope you would have the ability to show some respect for me, for that kindness, and for your fellow members and stop with the bullcrap.

If you're incapable of restraining yourself and abiding by a simple request, find another site to frequent.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

No back to the topic:

Mrs.MoT's work is gearing up to have non-patient staff work from home. They asked for the make/model of computers employees have at home, operating systems and internet connection speeds.

She has a work-issued laptop, so if she does end up working from home, she may be able to just use that.

We'll see.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT