COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by MoT »

59yukon01 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:58 am Numbers as of today. Up about 15K worldwide over the last week...... out of 7-8 billion people. I'm not panicking, but am doing my part my staying home.

Keep in mind this is the time the 24/7 news media lives for and will spew negativity and gloom & doom to keep you watching.

The long term effects of the global economic shutdown I fear more than this flu virus.Image

Are you a virologist or medical professional? Why do you keep calling it a flu when no medical professional, even the ones involved in this thread aren't?

If you can't share your experiences during this time without interjecting your ideological bias, perhaps you shouldn't be participating in this thread.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
59yukon01
MoT Member

Post by 59yukon01 »

ManOnTime wrote:
59yukon01 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:58 am Numbers as of today. Up about 15K worldwide over the last week...... out of 7-8 billion people. I'm not panicking, but am doing my part my staying home.

Keep in mind this is the time the 24/7 news media lives for and will spew negativity and gloom & doom to keep you watching.

The long term effects of the global economic shutdown I fear more than this flu virus.Image

Are you a virologist or medical professional? Why do you keep calling it a flu when no medical professional, even the ones involved in this thread aren't?

If you can't share your experiences during this time without interjecting your ideological bias, perhaps you shouldn't be participating in this thread.
What I'm trying to interject is be cautious, careful, and obey what's being asked the public to do. Panicking never solved anything.

I just posted factual numbers as of today so I didn't think it was anyhing ideological, other than I'm not panicking.

And COVID-19 is part of the Coronavirus Flu family. I was too lazy to type it out.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

59yukon01 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:49 am
ManOnTime wrote:

What I'm trying to interject is be cautious, careful, and obey what's being asked the public to do. Panicking never solved anything.

I just posted factual numbers as of today so I didn't think it was anyhing ideological, other than I'm not panicking.

And COVID-19 is part of the Coronavirus Flu family. I was too lazy to type it out.
Perhaps next time share the numbers and leave out the pot-shot at the media and spend the two or three seconds it takes to type COVID so we can prevent future misunderstandings.

These are stressful times, and I certainly don't want to add to it.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
59yukon01
MoT Member

Post by 59yukon01 »

ManOnTime wrote:
59yukon01 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:49 am
ManOnTime wrote:

Perhaps next time share the numbers and leave out the pot-shot at the media and spend the two or three seconds it takes to type COVID so we can prevent future misunderstandings.

These are stressful times, and I certainly don't want to add to it.
To be fair I've turned off the national news the last several days, other than my local nightly news, and my attitude has improved and stress level has went down. If I have to stay home I'm definitely not adding to their ratings. I suggest others do the same.

This is also another time I'm extremely thankful I don't exist on social media.

k.crabbe
MoT Member

Post by k.crabbe »

It's encouraging to hear that folks are taking this seriously. Especially the social distancing part. It works, My experience at the grocery store sounds atypical of some of y'alls. That's good to hear.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

BostonCharlie wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:49 am Our county health care services is maintaining a page showing the number of known cases and even some details about the patients, like age. Having a local daily count (and watching it jump daily: 8, 13, 18, 27) sure hits it home.
--------

We have getting a daily robocall from the mayor with an update on the situation in the township. As of Thursday, there were 17 cases, with many of them being residents of an old persons' home.

The township's webpage lists the town restaurants/delis/etc. and whether they are open for take-out or delivery. There are, of course, no restaurants open for dining in. There is also a listing of pharmacies and whether they are delivering prescriptions.

I've been nailed to my chair except to throw out the garbage.

Today Amazon delivered Danish butter cookies. I think I'm good for a week.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 pm Danish butter cookies.
Around here we call those sewing kits cause if you find a Danish Butter Cookie tin laying around, odds are cookies aren't going to be what's in it. 😂

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

First death in MN confirmed, and reported cases continue to increase. Back-log on completed tests is still there, and no where near enough tests are being performed.

Nurses here are also reporting mask, gloves and other supply shortages.

Mrs.MoT, who works in the business office of a local hospital still doesn't have WFH orders, and may not get any as her role includes a lot of paper handling that really cant/shouldn't be taken off-site.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

k.crabbe wrote:At the supermarket today I wore a mask and gloves. I know the mask probably doesn't help, but if it helps 1%, that's 1% I didn't have without it. People looked at me like I was crazy. One guy even laughed at me.

Everybody stay safe. And please be smart.
N95 masks and others to a lesser yet significant extent absolutely help when properly used, especially in crowded environments.

Eventually or currently in some places, statistically there is bound to be many people infected capable of spreading it without noticeable symptoms.

I believe, and hope, that the reason they don't encourage mask usage to the public is because there is a severe shortage that is affecting medical professionals treating and testing infected people.

I'm still doing some field work. I'm encouraged to see more frontline medical office and hosp. and other staff using masks. Anyone, specially those who come in contact with many people should use one, of course priority should be given to fill the needs of medical personnel and first responders.

I use one, re use in fact, and just paid $20 for another one, a good price these days.

I welcome comments about this from the med pro's we have here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

59yukon01
MoT Member

Post by 59yukon01 »

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Neurogenes wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:11 pm
tjcdas wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:57 pm Correct but deaths have been verified, most cases are not life threating, we can't shut down the country for months.
The deaths suggest a huge number of undetected cases and portend a really rough next few weeks, as deaths are a lagging indicator of disease. It's not like people get sick, are diagnosed, and die all on the same day. They get infected, hang out for a few days, get sick, hang out for a few more days, get diagnosed, hang out for a few more days, develop severe symptoms, hang out for a few more days, and then in some unfortunate cases die. When you see 17,000 people in the US confirmed as infected, you see 17,000 people who were infected maybe 3 to 14 days ago (please accept that this is extremely rough). When you see 218 people dead in the US, you see 218 people generally infected more than 14 days ago (again, very very roughly). Given the reported rate of death, that means there were probably more people infected two weeks ago than we have yet been able to detect to date. And that means there are far, far more infected today than we have currently identified.
Yes, absolutely all of this. Except I would even argue that currently death as an indicator of disease is even more prolonged than this timeframe above. A huge chunk of the COVID-19 deaths seem to result from ARDS. Sepsis and Multiple Organ Failure as well. These are all ruthless killers but in general, we've gotten better and better at managing these things over the years. Even where the overall survival rates aren't greatly improved, we can often prolong life for extended periods of time.

The average American family has ZERO notion what their critically ill/dying loved one would want done in the event they have very little chance of meaningful recovery. Absent that info, families often opt to do absolutely everything possible to save the life of their family member. Let's say there is a COVID-19 pt with ARDS, sepsis, and multi-organ failure. Sounds like a death sentence, right? It probably is.....eventually. But the family wants to give them a chance, so we do everything. And we've got all kinds of tricks to keep that pt alive in the ICU for weeks sometimes. In addition to all the things you might think of like antibiotics, breathing treatments, etc, we've got vasopressors, paralytics, all kinds of other drips, ventilators w/ fancy modes and settings, beds that turn you upside down, pacemakers, CRRT, nitric oxide, ECMO, etc. My point being that these COVID-19 deaths often come several days to weeks after severe symptoms begin.

That's how it is now anyway. But probably not for much longer. I fully expect this to change soon......quite possibly in the next month or two. I'm fairly certain these critical care doctors aren't gonna play by the old rules anymore. They are going to choose to allocate resources towards those with a chance for meaningful recovery. 2020 will become the worst possible year to need inpatient health care of any kind. Resources will be stretched thin. It doesn't matter if you're in the hospital for something unrelated. Open heart surgery, an emergent craniotomy, some regular old pneumonia, a broken leg.......you will be affected.

This isn't spoken out loud too often, but I think there is this notion among some that we can just forfeit the lives of a large number of our elderly and those with a medical problem. And in exchange for their lives, we can get our old economy and our old life back and things go back to normal. I'm not so sure it's quite that simple and I also don't think it's the precedent we want to set for ourselves.
cheddar
MoT Member

COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by cheddar »

Is there a thread yet to discuss COVID’s impacts on the watch industry/retail? It feels too trivial to include in this thread, but there may be some interest (for instance, the effects of the various stay at home orders on the more popular retailers).
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

From the WSJ here:
Local governments across the U.S. are releasing thousands of inmates in an unprecedented effort to prevent a coronavirus outbreak in crowded jails and prisons.

Jails in California, New York, Ohio, Texas and at least a dozen other states are sending low-level offenders and elderly or sickly inmates home early due to coronavirus fears. At other jails and prisons around the country, officials are banning visitors, restricting inmates’ movement and screening staff.

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

This is from a couple days ago in the WSJ here -- sobering to say the least:
New York City hospitals are already straining under the onslaught of novel coronavirus cases, even as state officials say the real peak of the outbreak is nearly a month and a half away.

Doctors at the largest public hospital in New York say equipment shortages have resulted in them wearing the same masks for as long as a week. Emergency-room physicians at another hospital are having to reuse gowns. Some large hospitals already have exceeded the capacity of their intensive-care units.

With the onslaught has come a surprise for many health-care workers: Far more young people than they expected are falling very ill. According to data published Friday morning by the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, 56% of confirmed cases of coronavirus in the city at the time involved patients under the age of 50.

At the Long Island Jewish Medical Center in Queens, several coronavirus patients under 40, including a few in their 20s, were on ventilators in the intensive-care unit as of Thursday. All were healthy before getting the virus, said Dr. Narasimhan.

New York officials say the state could need as many as 110,000 hospital beds and 37,000 intensive-care beds for virus-related illnesses as they peak. The state currently has 53,000 hospital beds and 3,000 intensive-care beds, many of them occupied by people with other illnesses.

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

cheddar wrote:Is there a thread yet to discuss COVID’s impacts on the watch industry/retail? It feels too trivial to include in this thread, but there may be some interest (for instance, the effects of the various stay at home orders on the more popular retailers).
Use the Deals Talk thread or start a dedicated thread.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1380
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk