We're Moving!

Click for more info.

COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by TheJohnP »

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:09 pm Serious question: Where are people buying hand sanitizer? Every time I've been in the grocery store, pharmacy, department store, it's been too late in the day to get hand sanitizer. I don't need a lot. I mostly just wash my hands with soap and water and try to think about what I'm touching. But I like to keep a small bottle in the car or in my pocket when I walk around. When I see it online it is usually sold out or doesn't ship for weeks. Is there some secret website or do I just need to line up at a store at 6am and wait for it to open?
I know here in Atlanta, a distillery has started making hand sanitizer for FEMA.

Here's an article about distilleries in California doing the same.
Since you are on the front lines, maybe you can score some for yourself?

https://laist.com/2020/03/20/socal_dist ... liquor.php
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:34 pm
Bbrou33 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:20 pm
yinzburgher wrote:Serious question: Where are people buying hand sanitizer? Every time I've been in the grocery store, pharmacy, department store, it's been too late in the day to get hand sanitizer. I don't need a lot. I mostly just wash my hands with soap and water and try to think about what I'm touching. But I like to keep a small bottle in the car or in my pocket when I walk around. When I see it online it is usually sold out or doesn't ship for weeks. Is there some secret website or do I just need to line up at a store at 6am and wait for it to open?
Last Friday my girlfriend sent me on a mission to find 1 can of Lysol and 1 thing of hand sanitizer. I walked into 15-20 different places (CVS, Walgreens, Target, small pharmacies, grocery stores, etc.). Of all the places I stopped in, only 1 Walgreens had 1 can of Lysol and had just received a shipment of hand sanitizer and they were being kept at the register. They had also just received a shipment of Lysol counter cleaner.
I also asked a worker at just about every place about when they would get some or if they had some. The answer was either "we are all sold out and probably not getting more" or " we have no idea if or when anymore will come".
So I say to you, good luck. This all too place between 11 am and 12pm.
Before we had this hand sanitizer, my GF and I actual just put rubbing alcohol into tiny spray bottles and was using that

If you want, I have a full fresh 10 oz of it and could put some in a travel shampoo thing or something and send it your way if you want.

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33
Wow! I'll try to find some at a local store. Thanks for the reply and the offer. Maybe I'll take you up on it if I can't find any. Also, I might have finally found a reason to buy a bottle of Bankers Club Vodka.

With your profession, I'm sure you're aware of this (and correct me if I am wrong) but for those who are not, spirits are only effective at killing microbes/germs if the alcohol content is above 60% (120 proof).

Finally a good use for Everclear other than getting blackout drunk as quickly as possible!
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:35 pm
yinzburgher wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:09 pm Serious question: Where are people buying hand sanitizer? Every time I've been in the grocery store, pharmacy, department store, it's been too late in the day to get hand sanitizer. I don't need a lot. I mostly just wash my hands with soap and water and try to think about what I'm touching. But I like to keep a small bottle in the car or in my pocket when I walk around. When I see it online it is usually sold out or doesn't ship for weeks. Is there some secret website or do I just need to line up at a store at 6am and wait for it to open?
I know here in Atlanta, a distillery has started making hand sanitizer for FEMA.

Here's an article about distilleries in California doing the same.
Since you are on the front lines, maybe you can score some for yourself?

https://laist.com/2020/03/20/socal_dist ... liquor.php

A few here are doing the same.

Here's one: https://norsemandistillery.com/

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

tjcdas wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:20 am Right now Italy is the worst case scenario, if the USA reaches this point we are looking at 32,700 deaths.

Right now our death rate per million is 50 times lower than Italy.
Man, I have not seen anything that indicates we aren't exactly on Italy's path. Especially now that many seem to be taking the line that getting people back to work takes precedence over their health.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

ManOnTime wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:03 pm
yinzburgher wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:34 pm
Bbrou33 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:20 pm Last Friday my girlfriend sent me on a mission to find 1 can of Lysol and 1 thing of hand sanitizer. I walked into 15-20 different places (CVS, Walgreens, Target, small pharmacies, grocery stores, etc.). Of all the places I stopped in, only 1 Walgreens had 1 can of Lysol and had just received a shipment of hand sanitizer and they were being kept at the register. They had also just received a shipment of Lysol counter cleaner.
I also asked a worker at just about every place about when they would get some or if they had some. The answer was either "we are all sold out and probably not getting more" or " we have no idea if or when anymore will come".
So I say to you, good luck. This all too place between 11 am and 12pm.
Before we had this hand sanitizer, my GF and I actual just put rubbing alcohol into tiny spray bottles and was using that

If you want, I have a full fresh 10 oz of it and could put some in a travel shampoo thing or something and send it your way if you want.

Wow! I'll try to find some at a local store. Thanks for the reply and the offer. Maybe I'll take you up on it if I can't find any. Also, I might have finally found a reason to buy a bottle of Bankers Club Vodka.

With your profession, I'm sure you're aware of this (and correct me if I am wrong) but for those who are not, spirits are only effective at killing microbes/germs if the alcohol content is above 60% (120 proof).

Finally a good use for Everclear other than getting blackout drunk as quickly as possible!
Yea, I've heard 60% is the magic number. Everclear it is!
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

Boourns wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:07 pm
tjcdas wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:20 am Right now Italy is the worst case scenario, if the USA reaches this point we are looking at 32,700 deaths.

Man, I have not seen anything that indicates we aren't exactly on Italy's path. Especially now that many republicans seem to be taking the line that getting people back to work takes precedence over their health.
At this point in time there is nothing that indicates we are on the same path as Italy, the data just does not show this.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Welp I lost my job today indefinitely thanks to this virus. Really hoping it comes to an end soon but obviously that's not happening for a while. Won't be buying watches for a longggg time now unfortunately, at least until I can find some sort of job. Hope you all stay safe, I know the US is really bad right now, here in Canada things are getting bad as well.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:Welp I lost my job today indefinitely thanks to this virus. Really hoping it comes to an end soon but obviously that's not happening for a while. Won't be buying watches for a longggg time now unfortunately, at least until I can find some sort of job. Hope you all stay safe, I know the US is really bad right now, here in Canada things are getting bad as well.
Sorry to hear man.
Hope things get better soon. For everyone. Let us know if there's anything we can do

Insta me: bbrou33
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Bbrou33 wrote:
AndroidIsAwesome wrote:Welp I lost my job today indefinitely thanks to this virus. Really hoping it comes to an end soon but obviously that's not happening for a while. Won't be buying watches for a longggg time now unfortunately, at least until I can find some sort of job. Hope you all stay safe, I know the US is really bad right now, here in Canada things are getting bad as well.
Sorry to hear man.
Hope things get better soon. For everyone. Let us know if there's anything we can do

Thanks, I'm thankful at least to have savings and a roof over my head. I know many will not be as lucky with these layoffs and things. Just means no more unnecessary purchases for quite some time.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

tjcdas wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:24 pm

Man, I have not seen anything that indicates we aren't exactly on Italy's path. Especially now that many seem to be taking the line that getting people back to work takes precedence over their health.
At this point in time there is nothing that indicates we are on the same path as Italy, the data just does not show this.
Do you mind citing your sources? From the data I have seen (and you all know I am a numbers guy) we are far ahead of Italy and all other nations regarding the number of cases, and how quickly it is increasing after the 100th confirmed.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I find it hard to adequately express the blind rage I've been in about this.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

tjcdas wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:24 pm

Man, I have not seen anything that indicates we aren't exactly on Italy's path. Especially now that many republicans seem to be taking the line that getting people back to work takes precedence over their health.
What data are you looking at? I will admit I have been consciously avoiding reading hour-by-hour updates (for the sake of my own mental health), but everything I have seen is similar to what MoT posted -- that we are a couple weeks behind (in time) Italy, but we are matching or "outperforming" infection numbers. I would sincerely love to be wrong on this.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:00 pm Welp I lost my job today indefinitely thanks to this virus. Really hoping it comes to an end soon but obviously that's not happening for a while. Won't be buying watches for a longggg time now unfortunately, at least until I can find some sort of job. Hope you all stay safe, I know the US is really bad right now, here in Canada things are getting bad as well.
Sorry to hear man. It seems like U.S. is working toward some relief, hopefully Canada does the same.
Neurogenes

Post by Neurogenes »

ManOnTime wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:35 pm

I find it hard to adequately express the blind rage I've been in about this.
Italy is often pitched as the worst case scenario, but that is in many ways very wrong. First, there is no reason why what happens/happened in Italy places an upper bound on total infections, infections per capita, number of deaths, number of deaths per capita, the extent to which healthcare systems get overwhelmed, or anything else. And second and more importantly, we are still in the first months of this pandemic. Italy will get worse. There will be more infections and more deaths tomorrow. And then, two days from now, there will be even more deaths. The same thing will happen the next day, and the next, and the next.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

To second what has been mentioned before: New Jersey distilleries are also producing hand sanitizers.

Today's report from the township's mayor: 6 new cases, bringing the total to 33 (1/3 of them from the same senior citizens' home; the rest showing no particular pattern of distribution and demographics). Township has @ 102,000 residents.

I ventured out for the first time in about a week and 1/2. My allergy doctor was closed (will reopen in about 2 weeks). The supermarket was not at all crowded. About 1/4 of the patrons were wearing masks (I don't have one; my daughter has offered to send me some from China, where she works!).

People were purchasing large orders (as I did) for the store was reasonably stocked--forget paper products, though. Water, bread, eggs, milk, veggies were in good supply. Service counters were closed.

People kept their distances.

The store had Purell dispensers at the entrances and asked patrons to use some before proceeding further.

I don't expect to leave the house until April moves in.