We're Moving!

Click for more info.

COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by MoT »

In his daily press conference, Gov. Tim Walz announced Stay-at-Home/Shelter-in-Place will be effective in Minnesota from 11:59pm Friday March 27 through at least April 10th.

A few noteworthy and sobering quotes from the presser:
Gov. Tim Walz wrote:"What we know about COVID-19 is that it moves faster than anything we've ever seen. 85% of the population will deal with a mild version of the virus. If we did nothing, upwards of 74,000 Minnesotans could be killed by this"

"It's too late to flatten the curve. The testing regime was not in place soon enough. Our objective now is to move the infection out, slow it down and buy time for the ICU and hospitals."

"The only thing we're able to flatten a little bit, is the ICU usage and its capacity"
There is also discussion of converting sports arenas and facilities into field hospitals when/if the need arises.

Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Well, our County officials are, let's say, not taking this as seriously as I believe they should. The pertinent part of our "shelter in place order":
All businesses, jobs, and workers are essential to the financial health and well-being of our local economy and therefore are essential to the financial health and well-being of Collin County citizens. Persons who are employed need to stay employed. Persons who lack employment need to gain employment. Businesses that are able to remain open need to remain open.
:roll:

Source:
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Boourns wrote:Well, our County officials are, let's say, not taking this as seriously as I believe they should. The pertinent part of our "shelter in place order":
All businesses, jobs, and workers are essential to the financial health and well-being of our local economy and therefore are essential to the financial health and well-being of Collin County citizens. Persons who are employed need to stay employed. Persons who lack employment need to gain employment. Businesses that are able to remain open need to remain open.

Source:
Uhhhh. No words.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Boourns wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:13 pm Well, our County officials are, let's say, not taking this as seriously as I believe they should. The pertinent part of our "shelter in place order":

Source:
As someone who grew up in Plano, I am somehow not surprised by this.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Boourns wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:13 pm Well, our County officials are, let's say, not taking this as seriously as I believe they should. The pertinent part of our "shelter in place order":

That said, it is much quieter on the streets around here today. We are still working on our rental (which is vacant), so we drove out to The Colony and back -- quietest streets I've seen so far. Maybe that has more to do with the Dallas order, though.

Thinking of quiet streets and cheap gas, is anybody "sheltering" in their car and cruising around? I was passed by a Corvette the other day; looked like the guy was having fun.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

BostonCharlie wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:03 pm

Thinking of quiet streets and cheap gas, is anybody "sheltering" in their car and cruising around? I was passed by a Corvette the other day; looked like the guy was having fun.
I just bought a Google Nest Hub from Bestbuy for pick up. Going to take the family to get it and then go for a drive after, so that we can all get out of the house for a little bit.
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

My opinion is the MN Gov is over reaching, he has made a prediction of devastation, that will not be accurate, but will take credit for preventing it by shutting down my state.

Whe have 1 death, 35 hospitalizations!
Screenshot_2020-03-25-16-25-47.png

Screenshot_2020-03-25-16-25-47.png
ManOnTime wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:50 pm In his daily press conference, Gov. Tim Walz announced Stay-at-Home/Shelter-in-Place will be effective in Minnesota from 11:59pm Friday March 27 through at least April 10th.

A few noteworthy and sobering quotes from the presser:
Gov. Tim Walz wrote:"What we know about COVID-19 is that it moves faster than anything we've ever seen. 85% of the population will deal with a mild version of the virus. If we did nothing, upwards of 74,000 Minnesotans could be killed by this"

"It's too late to flatten the curve. The testing regime was not in place soon enough. Our objective now is to move the infection out, slow it down and buy time for the ICU and hospitals."

"The only thing we're able to flatten a little bit, is the ICU usage and its capacity"
There is also discussion of converting sports arenas and facilities into field hospitals when/if the need arises.

Last edited by tjcdas on Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Schools are going to be closed through early May. Reusable grocery bags have been banned.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Things have been grim, but how about a bit of goofiness?

For some reason my voicemail picked up the mayor’s Covid-19 message today (my phone never rang). I get a written printout of all my voicemails; today, part of the printout about recommendations was "staying six Cedar Park."
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

My wife's school district just extended the closure to at least April 30th from April 3rd. They are now preparing for distance learning. All of my non-emergency hearings have been continued in Monterey County, but I do have a few Restraining Order hearings in April.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

tjcdas wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:34 pm My opinion is the MN Gov is over reaching, he has made a prediction of devestation, that will not be accurate, but will take credit for preventing it by shutting down my state.

Whe have 1 death, 35 hospitalizations!
Your state?

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you didn't quite understand how pandemics where no one has immunity to the disease works, and how if left unchecked will be devastating for the population and the economy. Now I know you're just being willfully ignorant.

How many deaths are required before you think actions in the interest of public health and safety are taken? How many hospitilizations? 10? 100? 1,000? 10,000?

Do hospitals need to be critically low on PPE and testing supplies? Do medical workers need to be reusing masks and gowns, often ones that are ineffective to protect against COVID for days or weeks at a time?

The above are rhetorical questions. I don't want you to answer them.

Your posts in this thread have been disruptive, and I have had complaints about them, however, I've let it slide. No more.

I'm going to ask as nice as I can here. Do not reply to this post. I won't be engaging you in public. If you must respond, send me a PM.
If you want to continue participating in this thread, keep your "opinions" to yourself. Share your personal, factual (and if you insist on sharing numbers post your sources), experiences with this pandemic or keep quiet.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I've seen these words from a Superintendent out of Grand County, CO reposted a lot on my social feeds:

"In the end, it will be impossible to know if we overreacted or did too much, but it will be quite apparent if we under reacted or did too little.”
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

Minnesota Dept. Of Health.

Peace Out.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

From an email newsletter from The Atlantic magazine today:

What the future holds

There are three possible endgames. The first one already seems unlikely: that each country simultaneously halts its outbreak. The second is that the virus sweeps through the world and fizzles out in the face of growing herd immunity—but in the process, millions die.

The third, and best, option is “that the world plays a protracted game of whack-a-mole with the virus, stamping out outbreaks here and there until a vaccine can be produced.”
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

yinzburgher wrote:Some patients from this past hospital that stood out to me.....but intentionally short on identifying details and specifics for reasons of privacy.

One pt I had on one of my first days was a rule out COVID-19. A family member traveled to an area with a large cluster of CV-19 and got ill with flu-like symptoms. Came home and isolated for 2 weeks for obvious reasons. Passed the illness along to the other people in the household. Everyone in the house got better except one developed a fever, cough and some degree of respiratory distress and then a cardiac arrest at home. Revived by EMS and brought to the hospital intubated and ventilated. At the very least there was some degree of anoxic brain injury. After some discussion the family decided to make the pt DNR (Do Not Resuscitate). Around that time the pt came back with a negative COVID test so I moved them out of the COVID area to a regular ICU room. The pt really declined over the next few hours and passed away. Luckily (in some sense) the pt was positive for a different respiratory condition (that is rarely lethal) that requires droplet precautions so I was justified in still wearing a mask in the new room. But I kept thinking of the above circumstances and wondering how many false negatives there could be with this brand new test of a brand new virus that we don't know much about. It all just sounded like COVID.

A confirmed COVID positive pt I took care of a few days into the job. This pt was beyond any meaningful recovery at this point. On roughly 8-10 different drips. On ridiculous ventilator settings. Chemically paralyzed. We tried a form of slow continuous dialysis but they were just too hemodynamically unstable. Multiple arrhythmias and sudden drops in blood pressure and oxygen saturation (at one point going down to the 30s before taking several hours just to come back up to 80%). It takes so long to put on your spacesuit that I often just stayed in the room for extended periods of time bc you can't do much to intervene when you're on the other side of the glass. Luckily other helpful nurses come and check on you from time to time to see what you need. And fortunately I worked at this facility 2 years ago so they knew me and were willing to be runners for me when necessary.......which is a nice change from having to win people over at every new place you go. The family couldn't really grasp how sick the pt was for a long time. They weren't allowed to visit due to quarantine orders. I took an iPad into the room with me so a family member could use a video app to see the pt. I like to think that seeing how the pt looked at that point might have helped convince the family to change the code status so we didn't have to do CPR on a pt that had no chance of survival. Plus they got to say a few words to the pt so maybe it helped a little bit with closure. The pt was not very old, not chronically ill, but did have a significant medical condition. I would have had this patient for a third straight day but they passed away minutes before the start of my shift.

On my last day at the hospital I had a rule-out COVID pt. An underlying medical condition had left them anemic and immunocompromised. Recently traveled on a plane. Came in with fevers and shortness of breath. The docs were thinking COVID and it certainly could have been but it probably could just as likely been another respiratory illness. A further complication developed at the hospital could have once again been consistent with COVID or could have been a side-effect of a treatment. So some quicker test results might have been helpful in this case. Anyway, this pt's oxygen requirements were increasing very quickly. They progressed from a nasal cannula to a higher flow mask to BiPAP (non-invasive ventilation) in fairly short order. Next step would be a mechanical ventilator. This pt was conversant (when not too short of breath), mentally very sharp, and seemed well aware of the seriousness of the situation. Occasionally when awake, they would turn on one of the 24 hour cable news channels with nothing but COVID coverage. Needless to say, that's gotta be an unfortunate and bizarre situation to find yourself in. It bothers me a bit that I don't know whether this patient was CV positive or negative. At some point I'll likely text one of the nurses to find out the result and hopefully hear some good news about how they're doing.

I realize none of these anecdotes are very positive (although I'm hoping the third one could be) but I should say that other COVID-19 patients in the ICU did get better and transfer to a less acute department. I heard one of the ICU doctors discussing how impressed she was with one of the pt's progress. I should also add that the above situations are maybe not all that different than every day ICU scenarios. But in each case, this brand new infectious disease that we don't entirely understand added to the uncertainty and complexity. Also, in these cases we had the staff, the supplies and the resources to adequately care for these patients. So it's really just one portrait of things before the onslaught.
How old are you Yinz?

My girlfriend's hospital finally got N95 masks for her and her team yesterday to do testing. They moved their unit from a floor in the hospital to the hospital garage and rooms along the garage.
She finally was able to text me for the first time today not long ago saying her face hurt from the mask and she hasn't sat down in about 5 hours.
Her brother's hospital has 7 units and 80% if them are full of covid patients. Some recovering but many not. His hospital is in an area North of Manhattan and the demographics aren't the best. Here's a text from him today
"Just my unit alone, we intubated 3 and 2 coded. My older nurse lady friend who was supposed to retire next year ended up getting intubated. Failed intubation at first and we coded her twice, ended up with a pneumothorax. Basically prob brain dead at this point. This **** decompensate your lungs so rapidly its no joke. Stay safe!"

Not trying to be dark, but this thing is serious. Though, like Yinz said, many are recovering and pulling through.

Areas that are looking at numbers only and thinking "oh we only have x confirmed cases and only y hospitalized" is stupid. That means you have umpteen more who aren't confirmed positive or haven't hot your hospital yet but will very soon and they are still walking around getting many many others sick. These numbers really don't mean squat right now

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33

Insta me: bbrou33