We're Moving!

Click for more info.

COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by BostonCharlie »

yinzburgher wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:44 am...

...I feel I could be carrying it around already but with no symptoms. There's almost no chance of getting a test soon so I just plan to do everything to not to expose anyone else, patients, co-workers or others. ...
Saw this in the WSJ (pay wall):

Across the world, laboratories and diagnostics companies are racing to fine-tune a cheap, portable, mass-testing device that can quickly show if a person has acquired immunity to the virus. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said it is also working on its own antibody test for the virus.

... These tests require a prick of blood from a finger, much like a diabetic test and can return a result quickly, ...
I thought this was an important point: "... Nor is it clear how long immunity lasts after an individual contracts coronavirus."
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Here is an article from ABC News about immunity,

Immunity to COVID-19: Front line health workers consider deliberate infection
Get it early, develop immunity, get back to work: some wonder
By Dr. Delaram J. Taghipour
March 24, 2020, 11:55 AM

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/immunity- ... d=69756590

Quote:
" Immunity is an intricate and convoluted experience for your body, and we are only in the infancy stages of understanding the immune response to COVID-19. How your immune system gets activated, the length of activation, the magnitude, how it spreads, and whether it stays present in different parts of your body can all differ based on the virus. This may mean that immunity may be temporary, if it exists at all.

That being said, speculation that the body will build immunity to COVID-19 exposure is reasonable. In fact, a mild exposure to a germ or virus prompts your body to launch germ-fighting tools (macrophages, B-lymphocytes, T-lymphocytes, etc.). After the infection, the immune system remembers what it learned and is able to defend against another attack.

In essence, that is how vaccines work. So, whether through exposure or vaccine, if our bodies build immunity, we may be able to protect our front line now, and eventually protect everybody -- a concept referred to as herd, or community, immunity."
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

There are way too many "if"s and "may"s around intentionally infecting yourself with this thing that I would be very uncomfortable with anyone suggesting it, or even taking part in it.

And that's really one of the scariest things about this virus: there are just so, so many unknowns.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Based on my current, limited knowledge, I would consider voluntary infection, even if immunity isn't permanent. I could quarantine myself in a deliberate, controlled manner (it might be in a dedicated facility, like a converted hotel), and if there's a complication then docs would know better how to proceed.

That said, I'm afraid it's a "solution" that wouldn't scale well when applied to the general public (like me).

I think I only entertain the notion because at the moment containment doesn't seem possible and who knows if/when a silver bullet solution, like a vaccine, will emerge. (Not being pessimistic: a silver bullet could be just around the corner -- who knows?)
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

This is a great watch. About an hour long but worth it.
A pulmonary and critical care Dr at New York Presbyterian Hospital that my girlfriend is friends with and used to work directly with made this video.
He covers what he's been seeing, ways to keep yourself and others safe, as well as covering many other topics, like building immunity.

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33

Insta me: bbrou33
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

BostonCharlie wrote:Based on my current, limited knowledge, I would consider voluntary infection, even if immunity isn't permanent. I could quarantine myself in a deliberate, controlled manner (it might be in a dedicated facility, like a converted hotel), and if there's a complication then docs would know better how to proceed.

That said, I'm afraid it's a "solution" that wouldn't scale well when applied to the general public (like me).

I think I only entertain the notion because at the moment containment doesn't seem possible and who knows if/when a silver bullet solution, like a vaccine, will emerge. (Not being pessimistic: a silver bullet could be just around the corner -- who knows?)
I don't see this as a practical thing to do at the moment either, in addition to all the unknowns, some cases would develop serious complications.

Given our current situation of unpreparedness, lacking key critical medical supplies and some med facilities starting to approach capacity, adding any additional unnecessary strain on the system would only make things worse.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

At the grocery store early. They announced a 6-7 senior hour and were encouraging social distancing over the PA system. No TP.

At Trader Joe’s at 9am, was turned away as they just started a senior hour from 9-10. Burns me that I am making 3 trips out for eBay is usually a 1 trip morning. I understand the need for this, it was just communicated extremely poorly AKA: not at all). Back in line to get into that store now.

Stores are under a mandate to not allow reusable bags in the store.

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Sporkboy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:07 am At the grocery store early. They announced a 6-7 senior hour and were encouraging social distancing over the PA system. No TP.

At Trader Joe’s at 9am, was turned away as they just started a senior hour from 9-10. Burns me that I am making 3 trips out for eBay is usually a 1 trip morning. I understand the need for this, it was just communicated extremely poorly AKA: not at all). Back in line to get into that store now.

What is the issue with reusable bags?
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

watchpalooza wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:07 am At the grocery store early. They announced a 6-7 senior hour and were encouraging social distancing over the PA system. No TP.

Yea I don't get the no reusable bags thing.

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

watchpalooza wrote:

I guess it is something that baggers would handle and they could be contaminated. Not that objects that we touch in the store aren’t contaminated. I don’t know the logic here.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Sporkboy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:19 am
watchpalooza wrote:

I guess it is something that baggers would handle and they could be contaminated. Not that objects that we touch in the store aren’t contaminated. I don’t know the logic here.
Baggers? Surprised they aren’t having people bag their own groceries. Here the checkers sit behind a shield, groceries go on the conveyer before the shield and come out the other side after the checker, and you pick them up and bag them yourself. To minimize touching baskets that 100 people may have touched, you bring your own bag or basket and shop with it through the whole process.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

watchpalooza wrote:
watchpalooza wrote:
Baggers? Surprised they aren’t having people bag their own groceries. Here the checkers sit behind a shield, groceries go on the conveyer before the shield and come out the other side after the checker, and you pick them up and bag them yourself. To minimize touching baskets that 100 people may have touched, you bring your own bag or basket and shop with it through the whole process.
Haha we are in America. Where some people still think it's just over hyped news and some states are doing business as usual.
That level of protection will never take place here

tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

Went to Home Depot to get a light switch. There were six employees in a tight circle gushing over a puppy. They saw me emerge from an aisle trying to get to the next and didn't budge. You wonder if they were trained in social distancing, or whether they simply don't take this thing seriously. They were all under the age of 35, I'd guess.

I kinda regret going in there, but I wanted a functioning porch light, so...
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

watchpalooza wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:33 am
watchpalooza wrote:

Some, but not all grocery chains here in Minnesota (Hy-Vee, Aldi, Cub) are operating with shields. None of the stores that have a person bagging your items are allowing personal bags, though.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

I've been following the COVID thread over on Omegaforums since about January and they have some pretty informative posts. In any event, this link was recently shared over there. They also have a good thread for first responders.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/

Thought some may find it useful.