We're Moving!

Click for more info.

COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Testing in my neck of the woods:

EDISON, NJ – Middlesex County officials, in partnership with the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, will open a drive-thru COVID-19 testing site on Wednesday, April 1 at New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission Kilmer Vehicle Inspection Center, 33 Kilmer Road, Edison.

The site will be open 3 days a week, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, from 10 am to 2 pm.

Those wishing to be tested will be required to make an appointment and meet a set of criteria. Those wishing to make an appointment can begin doing so at 10 am on Tuesday, March 31.

CRITERIA FOR TESTING

To receive testing, you must be a Middlesex County resident (valid driver’s license or state issued identification is required), make an appointment online or via phone, as well as either have a valid doctor’s prescription or be exhibiting symptoms which include: fever 100.4 degrees or higher (99.6 degrees for people 65 years and older); respiratory symptoms; and/or shortness of breath.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

From the mayor's robocall:

The number of cases has been increasing each day. The number of people hospitalized seems to be about 12% of the cases.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I went to Trader Joe's this morning. They have modified hours, and the first hour is for seniors & disabled (8-9). I wasn't going to go right away because I figured there would be a morning crowd. But I checked the traffic graph that Google Maps provides, and it showed things were calm. So I got there ~9:45. It was quiet, and the shelves were stocked. They had TP and hand sanitizer w/ limits -- one per customer, I guess -- they had them near the register. It looked like they had expanded their bread section x3 since I was last there, and they had sliced sandwich bread which I don't recall seeing before: $1.79 per 22 oz. loaf -- good deal and very convenient for me (I love toast).
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

From the WSJ (pay wall):
Experts believe nearly one in three infected patients are nevertheless getting negative test results
Health experts say they now believe nearly one in three patients who are infected are nevertheless getting a negative test result. They caution that only limited data is available, and their estimates are based on their own experience in the absence of hard science.
In New York City, “a negative is not clearing anybody who is symptomatic,” said Dara Kass, an emergency-room doctor at NewYork-Presbyterian, a hospital system. Dr. Kass, who is working from home after she tested positive for coronavirus in mid-March, said all patients with symptoms are being treated as coronavirus-positive, because the disease is so widespread in the city.
They say incorrect results could be caused by differences in how samples are collected and transported, as well as underlying problems with testing platforms.
“It’s really hard to have a false positive” on the type of tests used to detect coronavirus, [Dr. Deligdish] said.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

BostonCharlie wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:24 pm I went to Trader Joe's this morning. They have modified hours, and the first hour is for seniors & disabled (8-9). I wasn't going to go right away because I figured there would be a morning crowd. But I checked the traffic graph that Google Maps provides, and it showed things were calm. So I got there ~9:45. It was quiet, and the shelves were stocked. They had TP and hand sanitizer w/ limits -- one per customer, I guess -- they had them near the register. It looked like they had expanded their bread section x3 since I was last there, and they had sliced sandwich bread which I don't recall seeing before: $1.79 per 22 oz. loaf -- good deal and very convenient for me (I love toast).
The one on Preston in Plano or the one on 75 in McKinney?
I wish that watch were 38mm?
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Boourns wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:18 pm
BostonCharlie wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:24 pm I went to Trader Joe's this morning. They have modified hours, and the first hour is for seniors & disabled (8-9). I wasn't going to go right away because I figured there would be a morning crowd. But I checked the traffic graph that Google Maps provides, and it showed things were calm. So I got there ~9:45. It was quiet, and the shelves were stocked. They had TP and hand sanitizer w/ limits -- one per customer, I guess -- they had them near the register. It looked like they had expanded their bread section x3 since I was last there, and they had sliced sandwich bread which I don't recall seeing before: $1.79 per 22 oz. loaf -- good deal and very convenient for me (I love toast).
The one on Preston in Plano or the one on 75 in McKinney?
The one on 75 in McKinney.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

5:37am. Waiting in line at the grocery store. People, as am I, are actually wearing masks according to the CDC recommendation. A queue is set up with people practicing social distancing.

They are only going to let in a certain number of people at a time, which is why I am here early. They usually let people in a 5:30, and I am hoping to get in before 6.

Speaking of the recommendation for wearing a face mask, and I am going to not get political here, I have studied organizational design, I would like to make a comment. Behavior in any organization is the most difficult thing to change. If you don’t have buy in at the top, the change is extremely difficult to enact. Without the support of upper management, you lack the authority to encourage the change in behavior. Of course my reference book on this topic is at work, but this is a evidence-based point of view.

I took the political stuff out of the above statement, but I am sure that Matt will let me know if I am over the line here.

Stay safe out there.

Edit: required picture of Timex Data Link and the caution tape/cart queue that has been set up.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Sporkboy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:49 am 5:37am. Waiting in line at the grocery store. People, as am I, are actually wearing masks according to the CDC recommendation. A queue is set up with people practicing social distancing.

They are only going to let in a certain number of people at a time, which is why I am here early. They usually let people in a 5:30, and I am hoping to get in before 6.

Speaking of the recommendation for wearing a face mask, and I am going to not get political here, I have studied organizational design, I would like to make a comment. Behavior in any organization is the most difficult thing to change. If you don’t have buy in at the top, the change is extremely difficult to enact. Without the support of upper management, you lack the authority to encourage the change in behavior. Of course my reference book on this topic is at work, but this is a evidence-based point of view.

I took the political stuff out of the above statement, but I am sure that Matt will let me know if I am over the line here.

Stay safe out there.

Edit: required picture of Timex Data Link and the caution tape/cart queue that has been set up.
Basic organizational change management 101. Just happy to see people finally take the situation seriously....hopefully past the denial stage of the change curve.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

watchpalooza wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:49 am 5:37am. Waiting in line at the grocery store. People, as am I, are actually wearing masks according to the CDC recommendation. A queue is set up with people practicing social distancing.

Stay safe out there.

Basic organizational change management 101. Just happy to see people finally take the situation seriously....hopefully past the denial stage of the change curve.
It just upsets me to see a well known and accepted practice being ignored when the stakes are so high. Regardless of who does it, be it a corporation, local government or small business, it is irresponsible.
Last edited by Sporkboy on Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Many people in NYC are now wearing either a face mask or some kind of scarf or cover on the face when going outside. Many stores now have security at the door only allowing X amount inside at once. People are patiently waiting outside 6 feet apart. Well most people. As stated before, many people just have no concept of distance or personal space regardless of the situation.

My girlfriend is still working a ton. Still only testing patients and employees but thinking soon she'll be asked to go to the ICU. Her old hospital (New York Presbyterian) has already been asking her to help.

NY State sent it an emergency broadcast message over cell phones yesterday (usually only reserved for Amber alerts or weather alerts) asking for any and all registered medical professionals to please come help in NYC. Hospitals are overwhelmed. I think averaging 12 deaths an hour.

Everyone stay safe out there.

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33

Insta me: bbrou33
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sporkboy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:55 am
watchpalooza wrote:

Stay safe out there.

It just upsets me to see a well known and accepted practice being ignored when the stakes are so high. Regardless of who does it, be it a corporation, local government or small business, it is irresponsible.
In some instances, I'd say it borders on criminal.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote:
watchpalooza wrote:
Agreed. I will say no more of it as it is a road that we don’t go down here.

Thanks to everyone who is following the CDC recommendations. Now I need pull out the sewing machine and make some masks.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sporkboy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:02 am
ManOnTime wrote:
Agreed. I will say no more of it as it is a road that we don’t go down here.

Thanks to everyone who is following the CDC recommendations. Now I need pull out the sewing machine and make some masks.

I think we still have a box of basic surgical masks from when Mrs.MoT was immunocompromised because of chemo. I may start wearing one when I am out.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

The other day for a blood testing appt., I actually wore a mask that my daughter sent me. It felt funny, but it had to be done. I was glad to see that about 80% of the people I saw at a drugstore I stopped at were wearing masks.

While writing this entry, I was interrupted by the mayor's daily robocall. Unfortunately, new township cases increase by a greater number each day. It's getting worse here.

The New York Times has published a list of significant people who have died from the virus: https://www.nytimes.com/series/people-d ... obituarieshttps://www.nytimes.com/series/people-d ... obituaries

However, the one death that affected me most was one reported by the mayor: a township resident, a teacher in his thirties, who has left behind a wife and 3 children.

Now the survivors have to carry on.

I feel for them.

Be well, everyone.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

watchpalooza wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:11 am

Stay safe out there.

Unfortunately, we're still seeing some of the denial. Someone in my office was touting the fact that COVID deaths are way less than the flu right now. 🤦‍♂️ Ridiculous that people still think like that. I told him that's cherry picking facts and in a few weeks it'll out pace flu death even with the social distancing. No real response from him. I believe it's because they're scared and don't want to face reality.

I got up this morning at 6:00 am and immediately went to the grocery store. Got everything I needed, not busy at all. Then went to Target for diapers and paper products. That had everything! The wife is out of prosecco so I had to place an Bevmo since you can't go in anymore. Errands for the weekend are done. Gonna try and relax and no buy a watch.

Crazy world we live in. Stay safe everyone.