We're Moving!

Click for more info.

COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Sussa
MoT Member

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by Sussa »

Boourns wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:21 am Here is an article from Vox about cleaning mail and groceries: https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2020/3/27 ... oronavirus. The expert consulted said don't really worry about it but wash your hands.
That all seems reasonable. Anything more than that and I worry that we're tricking ourselves into a false sense of security. I wiped down as many groceries as possible coming into the house yesterday, but I certainly don't know proper disinfecting procedures and I kept touching the doorknob to bring things into the house. In that case, did wiping things down really make a difference? Probably not. But I'm definitely going to go disinfect that doorknob now.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Our Collin County infection rate has dropped dramatically the past couple days. I guess it's been about a week since the local (Dallas, Tarrant, Collin, ...?) SIP orders.
3/28: 11 new cases (~9% of total reported cases).
3/29: six new cases.
Early on there were some 50% daily increases, iirc. I wish now I'd recorded the numbers. I hope the good trend continues.
Update: Today broke the trend. 3/30: 26 new cases, ~19% jump in total reported cases.

I've noticed that the JHU map inaccurately shows 0 recovered for Collin County -- we have 42 recovered. Clicking around, they show 0 recovered for many counties. I wonder how many others are not being reported accurately?
Last edited by BostonCharlie on Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Via the mayor's robocall today:

The township has 80 cases, but is below the ratio of cases/population in the state.

There seems to be no pattern to the location or age distribution.
------
My daughter had masks sent to me; I've promised to wear them.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

One positive thing for me coming out of this is in back to cooking a ton. And trying new things.
Like today I'm making my own dough and making pizza. Sauce I sort of made myself.
With my girlfriend saving lives everyday and me not really working much someone has to keep us fed!

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33

Insta me: bbrou33
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Bbrou33 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:35 pm One positive thing for me coming out of this is in back to cooking a ton. And trying new things.
Like today I'm making my own dough and making pizza. Sauce I sort of made myself.
With my girlfriend saving lives everyday and me not really working much someone has to keep us fed!

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33
Your girlfriend, [mention]yinzburgher[/mention], and all other medical workers are my hero.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

From WSJ here (pay wall):
Johnson & Johnson to Begin Human Trials of Covid-19 Vaccine by September
Drug maker says product could be ready early next year

The company said the vaccine, if successful, would be affordable and would be sold on a not-for-profit basis.
Johnson & Johnson said it would try to scale its global manufacturing capabilities to make more than 1 billion doses of a Covid-19 vaccine by the end of next year. ...
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Not hard facts or statistics, but still partly on-topic...

Living a comeback montage.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

ManOnTime wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:25 pm
--------

The best! The best! The best!
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Stumbled on this today. A ton of good info on food safety.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/foo ... guide.html
I wish that watch were 38mm?
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Boourns wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:37 pm Stumbled on this today. A ton of good info on food safety.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/foo ... guide.html
Very well written. Lots of well sourced advice, great explanations, and easy on the eyes (good design). This is my favorite bit so far: "Even if a worker sneezes directly into a bowl of raw salad greens before packing it in a take-out container for you to take home, as gross as it is, it's unlikely to get you sick." Lol.

Also a shout out to MoT for that graph from the FT -- by far the best graphic I've seen. Kudos to FT.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Aside from any possible susceptibility to illness from COVID-19, I'm thinking this could be a relatively unhealthy year or at least couple of months for a lot of people, myself included. I'm still eating a relatively healthy diet but I seem to be eating more. I'm sure I've put on a little bit of unhealthy weight. When I'm not working, I'm never too far from the fridge. And when you're really not supposed to leave home except to only do necessary activities like grocery shopping, you have a tendency to keep the fridge well-stocked. So it's been too easy to satisfy every hankering for food. I've started a few weeks of night shift too. That probably doesn't help. In addition, I'm not exercising like I normally do. I normally go to a gym when I can but they are all closed. The extended stay hotel I'm in has closed its fitness room. So no weight-lifting, no cardio machines. So the past two nights I went out for long walks.......better than nothing I guess. I feel like I've seen an uptick in the number of people running outdoors but I'm not certain.

An aside, it's now a strange experience walking through certain areas. Consider some of the downtown areas of cities that are normally bustling with people. Most of those areas also have some amount of homeless people. Now subtract all of the people that have been advised/ordered to stay in their homes. What you're left with when you walk through one of these areas at night is just you and and the homeless people and block after block of shuttered businesses. It's a wholly different vibe that seems like something out of a dystopian movie.

Back to health. At the risk of sounding preachy, it might be a good year to focus on health matters. I'll hopefully take my own advice here. It could even play a small role in helping you not get targeted by this or some other pathogen. I'm worried that us 'muricans with our bad diets and sedentary lifestyles and large waistlines will likely see a higher mortality than other places. Even without a gym, walking or running outside and coming up with some strength training that can be done at home could be a goal. It's a good year to quit smoking too. This virus seems to be targeting smokers and vapers. I smoked for way too many years and for a while I just assumed I would never quit. It took a health scare a number of years ago, which thankfully turned out to be very minor, to motivate me to quit. Feel free to PM me if you have any thoughts or questions about quitting smoking. Whatever thoughts or reasons you might have about why you can't quit, I get it, I had them too. The short version of how I finally quit is that I took Zyban, I wore nicotine patches, I read a book by Alan Carr, and I just decided I was a non-smoker. Anyway, I work the next few nights but I'm hoping to prioritize exercise and healthy eating a little more in the coming days and weeks.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

All great points yinzbugher.

I've found we have been eating less healthy lately too, in stressful time people tend to revert to that which brings some comfort, some of which are bad habits as noted. Trying to keep this in check.

Had also slacked off on exercise but have now made it a point to do my regular routine at home. Doesn't necessarily take a lot of time, about 20-30 min 3-4 times a week. A few stretch, weight and rapid pace stationary bike makes me feel much better afterwards.

There's been some research showing that for some people riding a stationary bike as fast as possible for one min. is equivalent to a week's worth of regular exercise. Not for everyone and must be in good health.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Interesting report from the WSJ (pay wall):
Coronavirus Tests Aren’t Hard to Find Everywhere
In some communities, coronavirus tests are easy to access thanks to new methods developed by local universities and hospitals

While many Americans with coronavirus symptoms struggle to get tested due to restrictive criteria and limited availability, June Bivins found it surprisingly simple.

“Easier than getting a regular doctor’s appointment,” Ms. Bivins said of her experience getting tested last week in Roseville, Calif. ...

As local governments have struggled to obtain and offer enough coronavirus tests to meet surging demand, some medical schools and hospitals have developed their own distinct methods, often using supplies already on hand. The result is a small number of communities, including ones near the central California city of Davis, where testing is often widely available.

Other institutions that have developed and deployed their own unique testing techniques include the University of Washington School of Medicine in Seattle, Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston and Manhattan’s Mount Sinai Medical Center.

... The center wasn’t able to use its self-developed approach until the U.S. Federal Drug Administration relaxed testing regulations on Feb. 29.

That decision set loose a variety of new tests around the country. The government agency has authorized more than 15 diagnostics, and dozens of new tests are now awaiting approval.