We're Moving!

Click for more info.

COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by PetWatch »

watchpalooza wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:19 am
watchpalooza wrote:
What is the issue with reusable bags?
I guess it is something that baggers would handle and they could be contaminated. Not that objects that we touch in the store aren’t contaminated. I don’t know the logic here.
Baggers? Surprised they aren’t having people bag their own groceries. Here the checkers sit behind a shield, groceries go on the conveyer before the shield and come out the other side after the checker, and you pick them up and bag them yourself. To minimize touching baskets that 100 people may have touched, you bring your own bag or basket and shop with it through the whole process.
I assume the checker still handles the groceries to scan, right? Now is a good time to use self scanning terminals when available, which I'm increasingly using.

Samsclub has an app that let's you scan as you go and pay from the app then show an app code as you exit, where attendant may verify one or two items. I use it all the time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

PetWatch wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:16 pm
watchpalooza wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:19 am
I guess it is something that baggers would handle and they could be contaminated. Not that objects that we touch in the store aren’t contaminated. I don’t know the logic here.
Baggers? Surprised they aren’t having people bag their own groceries. Here the checkers sit behind a shield, groceries go on the conveyer before the shield and come out the other side after the checker, and you pick them up and bag them yourself. To minimize touching baskets that 100 people may have touched, you bring your own bag or basket and shop with it through the whole process.
I assume the checker still handles the groceries to scan, right? Now is a good time to use self scanning terminals when available, which I'm increasingly using.

Samsclub has an app that let's you scan as you go and pay from the app then show an app code as you exit, where attendant may verify one or two items. I use it all the time.

Yes, they wear gloves but do the scanning. Some stores here do also have self checkouts, but alcohol has to be handled by a checker...so normally not an option for me. ;)
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Governor said yesterday facts on the ground are thus far in line with model projections, of course that could change at any time.

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

watchpalooza wrote:
PetWatch wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:16 pm
watchpalooza wrote:

Yes, they wear gloves but do the scanning. Some stores here do also have self checkouts, but alcohol has to be handled by a checker...so normally not an option for me. ;)
Forgot that point about Samsclub app, no alcohol, checker needs to see id.

I wonder if gloves offer any more protection to the public as they can become infected like hands, unless they replace them with every customer, in regards to contaminated product.

They would protect from a contaminated employee hands.

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

My FIL is 80+ and has heart problems. He already has trouble breathing. But it will take an intervention to make him stop going to the market every few days for fresh fruit (which we're debating). We've offered many times to make the run for him, but he declines. He wears gloves, and I'm afraid it gives him a false sense of protection. I don't see why members of the general public should wear gloves -- I don't see the benefit unless maybe you can't wash your hands for some reason.

For me, I used to feel under the gun to fix up our empty rental and get it sold or rented. Now I have all the time in the world to fix it up, which I'm really enjoying because I'm a detail guy. Yes, we're losing money, but so are others. As long as we can swing it, might as well make lemonade.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

PetWatch wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:21 pm Governor said yesterday facts on the ground are thus far in line with model projections, of course that could change at any time.

Which state? Is that good news or bad news?
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

What's everybody doing to de-contaminate your groceries, whether you buy them or they're delivered? Or do you just wash your hands before and after handling and not worry about the packaging?
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Sussa wrote:What's everybody doing to de-contaminate your groceries, whether you buy them or they're delivered? Or do you just wash your hands before and after handling and not worry about the packaging?
I'll give most a good wipe down with with alcohol wipes or Lysol wipes. Or I don't do anything [emoji2369]

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33

Insta me: bbrou33
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

BostonCharlie wrote:
PetWatch wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:21 pm Governor said yesterday facts on the ground are thus far in line with model projections, of course that could change at any time.

Which state? Is that good news or bad news?
California, bad news. Sure hope that somehow things turn out better.

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Sussa wrote:What's everybody doing to de-contaminate your groceries, whether you buy them or they're delivered? Or do you just wash your hands before and after handling and not worry about the packaging?
Managed to stay away from stores for almost two weeks, cracked yesterday and went to farm stand for fresh fruits and veggies. We rinse really good with water before use.

Throwing out bags and packages right away, started taking shoes off and isolating, changing clothes when I get home, sometimes a quick shower after coming home from work.

Trying to support small local restaurants by ordering delivery or takeout. One of my neighbors owns a small restaurant and they are really hurting, had to layoff most staff. The couple is working very hard trying to stay afloat with take out and pic up orders, but business is really slow as people hunker down. Hope this new economic package really helps small business owners.

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Edited above post. FDA: Do Not use soap to wash fruits and veggies.

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

PetWatch wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:30 pm Edited above post. FDA: Do Not use soap to wash fruits and veggies.

Was writing something political about the FDA and a former vice president, but stopped myself.

Just to clarify, the FDA does not say “do not use soap to wash fruits and vegetables”, they state that they do not recommend to do so. It is an important distinction as it does not mean they have found it to be harmful, only that these products have not been formally approved or labeled through the FDA for use on foods. They cannot recommend something that is outside of the scope of their jurisdiction. They suggest that plain water is adequate to remove most contaminants.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

An informative article in the WSJ here (pay wall) about the effect of Italy's lockdowns:

More than two weeks after Italy enacted a nationwide quarantine that remains the most drastic in the West—people are largely barred from leaving their homes—the growth of new infections is slowing to single-digit percentage increases each day, lower on average than a week ago.

The country’s experience—which has served as the template for the lockdowns throughout much of the West and which followed several weeks of more limited quarantines in the country’s north—shows that such measures are very slow to produce results and may ultimately fail to stamp out the virus entirely.

Italy enacted its first lockdown measures on Feb. 22, quarantining 11 towns at the center of the initial clusters of infections in the northern regions of Lombardy and the Veneto. But much of the country continued normally. ...

On March 10, the government extended restrictions to the whole country. Residents can only leave their homes to buy food or medicine or seek medical care. Violators face fines of up to €3,000 ($3,900) or jail time.

Italy’s lockdown still isn’t as strict as China’s and the country hasn’t adopted the aggressive tactics that helped stop the virus in Wuhan, where the pandemic is thought to have originated.

There, mild or suspected cases—including healthy relatives of those infected—were placed in makeshift quarantine centers in hotels and schools. Doctors treating coronavirus patients were separated from their families. By contrast, in Italy, those with mild symptoms have so far been told to self-isolate at home, and are rarely tested for the virus.

Italy’s experience shows that Western-style lockdowns that don’t involve the coercive measures of Wuhan may have to be maintained for longer than Western societies are willing to tolerate to see results.

... the experience of the small town of Vo’ Euganeo [population 3,400] has shown that extensive testing coupled with a lockdown can help tame the virus more quickly than just containment. ...

Overall, Italy has carried out nearly 400,000 tests, a high number relative to most other European countries. However, in most places the disease has spread too far to employ testing to isolate the sick, highlighting the need to move quickly and decisively when the first infections emerge, experts say.

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

From a couple days ago, but I just learned about it -- exciting news (emphasis mine):
Abbott is launching a rapid coronavirus test able to deliver positive results in as little as five minutes from a tabletop box the size of a small toaster oven.

Weighing less than seven pounds, the company’s ID NOW diagnostic can be run just about anywhere, inside or outside of a hospital. The portable point-of-care platform has been widely used to process quick strep throat and flu tests in physicians’ offices, emergency rooms and urgent care clinics.

The FDA granted the molecular system an emergency authorization for use against COVID-19, and Abbott said it is currently ramping up production with plans to deliver 50,000 tests per day starting next week.

Abbott previously received an agency green light for a high-throughput COVID-19 test on its m2000 RealTime hardware. Between the two systems, the company said it’s aiming to produce about 5 million tests in April.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Sussa wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:47 pm What's everybody doing to de-contaminate your groceries, whether you buy them or they're delivered? Or do you just wash your hands before and after handling and not worry about the packaging?
Here is an article from Vox about cleaning mail and groceries: https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2020/3/27 ... oronavirus. The expert consulted said don't really worry about it but wash your hands.

Personally I have been washing my hands right after i get home and again after putting groceries away. I am also throwing the bags away immediately.

For things that I won't use for a couple of days (soup cans, etc.) I am not really worrying about it because the virus lives even on metal only for a couple days at most. If there's something I am going to use right away sometimes I will wipe it down.
I wish that watch were 38mm?