As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by TheJohnP »

Thankfully no one I personally know has contracted COVID. But it has now greatly impacted us.

My wife was let go from her job yesterday because her employer hasn't been bringing in enough and fired a number of people to try and stay afloat. Sadly she was one of the last in, so she's one of the first out. Ironically, her responsibilities lately were working with their client base trying to offer solutions to keep them from cancelling their accounts.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Sporkboy wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:11 am
Sporkboy wrote:One of our elder family members is in Florida recovering from surgery at a rehab hospital and she has come down with a fever. She is a long-time smoker, so If she gets a respiratory issue then she is going to be in a bad situation. Hopefully the fever passes without further complications but I am not hopeful for her situation.
Well, that resolved quickly. We don’t know if it was COVID-19, and may never know, but the family member died early this morning. Fine last night, and dead today. The fever had passed and I am told by my wife that COVID-19 can advance rapidly and suddenly at some point after the fever passes. I don’t have a source on that, but so am guessing that is from a clinician at the hospital for which she works.

Anyway, a sad day for my family. One real bummer is that this is also her eldest granddaughter’s 21st birthday, so that doubly sucks for her.

I hope that everyone else’s family is doing well and staying safe.
I'm sorry to hear about your loss [mention]Sporkboy [/mention]. My condolences.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

TheJohnP wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:54 am Thankfully no one I personally know has contracted COVID. But it has now greatly impacted us.

My wife was let go from her job yesterday because her employer hasn't been bringing in enough and fired a number of people to try and stay afloat. Sadly she was one of the last in, so she's one of the first out. Ironically, her responsibilities lately were working with their client base trying to offer solutions to keep them from cancelling their accounts.
Ouch. Hope you two are doing OK. The weekly jobless claims numbers are out again this morning and it's another 6.6 million people....on top of 6.6 million people the week before and 3.3 the week before that. They never went past 700K in the last financial crisis. I don't bring that up to diminish the loss of your wife's job but just to highlight how bad it is right now. Lately I'm sick of hearing the word "unprecedented" but for much of what's going on, it's appropriate.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

TheJohnP wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:54 am Thankfully no one I personally know has contracted COVID. But it has now greatly impacted us.

Ugh, I hate hearing this. I hate this whole situation, hopefully we can get through this quicker than we think.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Sporkboy wrote:One of our elder family members is in Florida recovering from surgery at a rehab hospital and she has come down with a fever. She is a long-time smoker, so If she gets a respiratory issue then she is going to be in a bad situation. Hopefully the fever passes without further complications but I am not hopeful for her situation.
Well, that resolved quickly. We don’t know if it was COVID-19, and may never know, but the family member died early this morning. Fine last night, and dead today. The fever had passed and I am told by my wife that COVID-19 can advance rapidly and suddenly at some point after the fever passes. I don’t have a source on that, but so am guessing that is from a clinician at the hospital for which she works.

Anyway, a sad day for my family. One real bummer is that this is also her eldest granddaughter’s 21st birthday, so that doubly sucks for her.

I am very sorry to hear this, Sporkboy.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I'm sorry for your loss. :(
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Thank you all for your condolences. She was one of those family members that was a real pain in the hurt most of the time, but you couldn’t help but kind of like. The first time she met me she said, ‘Take care of my niece, because if you don’t, I’ll take care of you... with an ice pick.’

She wouldn’t take crap from anybody, and somehow I am the one person that could not put up with her crap get away with it. Not sure why, but she somehow respected me for that. She will be missed.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sporkboy wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:34 am Thank you all for your condolences. She was one of those family members that was a real pain in the hurt most of the time, but you couldn’t help but kind of like. The first time she met me she said, ‘Take care of my niece, because if you don’t, I’ll take care of you... with an ice pick.’

She wouldn’t take crap from anybody, and somehow I am the one person that could not put up with her crap get away with it. Not sure why, but she somehow respected me for that. She will be missed.
Mrs.MoT has some relatives in the Philly/South Jersey area like that.

Her father's cousin said something similar to me once, and saying it in his South Jersey accent with a couple of his goombah-esq friends nearby it carried a little bit more weight. :lol:

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Very sorry for your loss, Spork.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:34 am Thank you all for your condolences. She was one of those family members that was a real pain in the hurt most of the time, but you couldn’t help but kind of like. The first time she met me she said, ‘Take care of my niece, because if you don’t, I’ll take care of you... with an ice pick.’

Mrs.MoT has some relatives in the Philly/South Jersey area like that.

Her father's cousin said something similar to me once, and saying it in his South Jersey accent with a couple of his goombah-esq friends nearby it carried a little bit more weight. :lol:
Well, she was from Staten Island and from the less reputable side of the family. I think I even bought her an ice pick as a joke once.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Sporkboy wrote:

Sorry for your loss Sporkboy, my condolences.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Personal impact, Mrs.MoT was 50% furloughed today. For the next pay period, she'll be working one week on, one week off.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

"Social Distancing" is nothing new. Women have been practicing it on me for years.
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

My company announced 20% salary reduction for all employees making over $50k/yr, for the next three months. This also comes with a reduction to a 4 day work week. We're an essential business in the healthcare industry and still feeling the pain of a slowdown.
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

My company told me they can pay our salaries throughout this month. Not sure what happens after this month. But my company too is an essential healthcare company, however no surgeries (or very few) means little to no incoming money

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33

Insta me: bbrou33