We're Moving!

Click for more info.

MoT Members' Social Distance Summit: Saturday May 9, 2020

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.

Will you be attending the Summit?

Yes! :D
22%
Maybe! :|
64%
No. :(
14%

Total votes: 36
MoT
Site Admin

MoT Members' Social Distance Summit: Saturday May 9, 2020

Post by MoT »

After a great suggestion by [mention]peskydonut[/mention] and a couple of polls, the Social Distance Summit is set!

MoT Member's Social Distance Summit

What: MoT Member's Social Distance Summit
When: Saturday, May 9, 2020 8:00pm Central Time
Where: Google Meet: https://bit.ly/motsds

Google Meet works on desktop/laptops via browser, as well as phones, both Android and iOS. There are free apps available in your app store of choice as well.

If you can't participate, but would like to watch, there will also be a live stream: https://bit.ly/sdsstream

Also, for full disclosure, we will be recording the Summit for playback later by those who have to miss out.

We hope to see a lot of you there!

Join in and get to know your fellow members a little better. There is no set format, so just imagine it as a virtual watch meet-up. Shoot the breeze. Talk about and show off watches. Enjoy your beverages of choice and bask in electronic camaraderie during these interesting times.

Over the next few days, I will be testing a few different conferencing methods and I will update this thread with specifics and how to join in. The idea is for participants to be able to choose to video, voice or text chat. This is the first time we'll be doing something like this, so I guess you can consider yourselves to be test subjects. :lol:
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Perdendosi
MoT Member

Re: MoT Members' Social Distance Summit: Saturday May 9, 2020

Post by Perdendosi »

I have a set date for Saturday nights at 9 p.m. central, but I might be able to jump in for a few minutes before then.
If folks are bringing their collections, I would be incentivized to stop by. :)
- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
Current collection:

Baume & Mercier Capeland Chrono | Alpina Startimer Heritage GMT | Oris Artix Date | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Hamtun H2 Meteroite | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Nth Nacken Renegade | Direnzo DRZ-03 "Blood Moon" | Citizen Grand Classic | Nodus Sector Field | Seiko SSA409 "Honeycomb" Star Bar **** Time | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Great White Turtle | Manchester Watch Works (RIP) Equinox All-Lume Dial | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" | Casio AE1400WH-2AV
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Perdendosi wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:54 pm I have a set date for Saturday nights at 9 p.m. central, but I might be able to jump in for a few minutes before then.
If folks are bringing their collections, I would be incentivized to stop by. :)

The time is not set in stone. If people have a time that works better, and if there is enough consensus, we can change it.

I'm pretty flexible.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

:cry:

Rats. I have a commitment during that time slot.

Hopefully you guys will hold another one.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

tommy_boy wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:27 pm :cry:

Rats. I have a commitment during that time slot.

Hopefully you guys will hold another one.

If it works out I could see it being a regular occurrence.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

cairoanan
MoT Member

Post by cairoanan »

Sounds fun.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

I just realized that's a mask on the new logo... Haha. Good skills [mention]ManOnTime[/mention]
BruceR
MoT Member

Post by BruceR »

I plan on attending. I guess what I'd like to get out of this is to get to know the people here a bit better, but not necessarily which watches they have in their collections.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

BruceR wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:38 pm I plan on attending. I guess what I'd like to get out of this is to get to know the people here a bit better, but not necessarily which watches they have in their collections.

That's the plan.

My hope is that it's totally free-form. I want it to feel like going to your neighborhood bar or hangout and chatting with your friends and neighbors. If people want to show a watch? Fine. If people want to share a funny joke or story? Cool!

Think of it as an extension of the community we're all a part of here.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Thank you for putting this together, Matt! I really hope that I can join in. The only thing that might keep me away is that is getting our son wound down for bed time...but I hope you all will still be going when I get freed up.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Yes, thank you for organizing this [mention]ManOnTime[/mention] . I'm excited to meet everyone. I'm pretty affable, just not in person. 😬
Living a comeback montage.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Split-Time wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:08 pm Thank you for putting this together, Matt! I really hope that I can join in. The only thing that might keep me away is that is getting our son wound down for bed time...but I hope you all will still be going when I get freed up.
Give him a sip or two of bourbon. That'll knock him right out. :D (I'm kidding, of course.)

Thanks go to [mention]peskydonut[/mention], this was his idea.
peskydonut wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:24 pm Yes, thank you for organizing this @ManOnTime . I'm excited to meet everyone. I'm pretty affable, just not in person. 😬
It was your idea, so thank you.

Full disclosure, I have varying levels of social anxiety. I may or may not be on video or voice, but I will 100% be there in text.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

ManOnTime wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:47 pm It was your idea, so thank you.
You're welcome. I hope.
ManOnTime wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:47 pm Full disclosure, I have varying levels of social anxiety. I may or may not be on video or voice, but I will 100% be there in text.
I'll give video a shot despite the fact that I'm very much overdue for a haircut and a trim. Desperately hoping for my barber to reopen before the Summit, but I'm almost certain they won't. You have been warned.
Living a comeback montage.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

peskydonut wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:09 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:47 pm It was your idea, so thank you.
You're welcome. I hope.
ManOnTime wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:47 pm Full disclosure, I have varying levels of social anxiety. I may or may not be on video or voice, but I will 100% be there in text.
I'll give video a shot despite the fact that I'm very much overdue for a haircut and a trim. Desperately hoping for my barber to reopen before the Summit, but I'm almost certain they won't. You have been warned.
ECC09835-9287-4CBC-88CD-C17A2708554B.jpeg
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

peskydonut wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:09 pm
Ha, yeah, I am looking pretty frightful these days. My barber is starting work this weekend but I am wondering if it's too soon (they could have started last week here even when the numbers of infections and deaths were still going up, but that's another discussion..).

I usually go to bed at 8pm (central time +1) but I will try and stay up for your guys and if I dose off and/or fall of my chair, you'll know why.