MoT Members' Social Distance Summit: Saturday May 9, 2020

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.

Will you be attending the Summit?

Yes! :D
22%
Maybe! :|
64%
No. :(
14%

Total votes: 36
MoT
Site Admin

Re: MoT Members' Social Distance Summit: Saturday May 9, 2020

Post by MoT »

Here is the meet for those who missed it, and those who want to re-live it. :lol:

I'm not afraid to admit I deal with levels of social anxiety, but this was a lot of fun. Let's do more in the future.

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
cairoanan
MoT Member

Post by cairoanan »

Bummed i missed this. Looked like a lot of fun! Next time [emoji106]
pgcity
MoT Member

Post by pgcity »

TheJohnP wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:35 am
yinzburgher wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:16 am Sounds like it went well.....wish I coulda made it! How many people stopped in? Any first time glitches or was the Google meeting thing pretty smooth?

By my recollection, at most we had 14 on.
No major glitches overall, but @pgcity did seem to have slight issues joining in.

Otherwise things looked and sounded smooth compared to other video conferencing systems I've used.
yes my problem was lack of audio initially till i switched to another browser. I dropped off and on throughout as well as the audio came out choppy. I think on the audio issue it could be my internet connection.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Christopher Ward made a strong showing that night. [mention]Guyinwatch[/mention] was there too (right? audio wasn't great on my end for a little while) and showed us his Trident C60 bronze ombré!
Guyinwatch
MoT Member

Post by Guyinwatch »

I popped in late and left early because i guess even internet gatherings pique my social anxiety/awkwardness. So it was just like face to face for me. 'Here's my watch. Ummmm, nice to meet you, gotta go.'
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Guyinwatch wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:59 pm I popped in late and left early because i guess even internet gatherings pique my social anxiety/awkwardness. So it was just like face to face for me. 'Here's my watch. Ummmm, nice to meet you, gotta go.'
I get it. I have social anxiety as well, and it varies depending on the situation. For example, I once sat in my car for 20 minutes at an in-person meet-up for another hobby before working up enough nerve to go in to it.

Thanks for participating, even if it was for a short time.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

I might have to get in on the next one. I have done a pretty good job of remaining anonymous on the internet my whole life, but this might be worth breaking my anonymity. I think there is a linked in profile pic, and probably something from my wedding registry, but aside from that, I am verrrry mysterrrious. Like the wind.

Thing is, I consider this group of folks more friends than random internet strangers for some reason. Just hope my 5 year old $200 laptop has a webcam [emoji28]

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Halaku
MoT Member

Post by Halaku »

After watching the entire video i so very much regret not joining in .. next time i will for sure join in .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Dub Rubb wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:28 pm I have done a pretty good job of remaining anonymous on the internet my whole life, but this might be worth breaking my anonymity.
Exact same. I've basically managed to successfully keep my face and name off of the tubes for its and my entire existence. My first and only social media account was very recent and reveals nothing of my personal life, just my watches. Even with the relative anonymity of forums, I lurked for years before finally joining and participating. When I saw here that the Summit was posted to Youtube, I actually felt my face contort like it does when discomfort arises. But now I had a chance to watch some of it. I still have some mixed feelings about the Youtube archiving but on the other hand, it was really great to be able to see some of the people I've shared this space with. I'm pretty sure I could get past my reservations for the chance to meet and chat with the folks here. Hope to see you all at an upcoming Summit. If you see a guy there in a lucha libre mask, don't be too alarmed. ;)
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Dub Rubb wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:28 pm I might have to get in on the next one. I have done a pretty good job of remaining anonymous on the internet my whole life, but this might be worth breaking my anonymity. I think there is a linked in profile pic, and probably something from my wedding registry, but aside from that, I am verrrry mysterrrious. Like the wind.

Thing is, I consider this group of folks more friends than random internet strangers for some reason. Just hope my 5 year old $200 laptop has a webcam [emoji28]

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
yinzburgher wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:00 am
Dub Rubb wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:28 pm I have done a pretty good job of remaining anonymous on the internet my whole life, but this might be worth breaking my anonymity.
Exact same. I've basically managed to successfully keep my face and name off of the tubes for its and my entire existence. My first and only social media account was very recent and reveals nothing of my personal life, just my watches. Even with the relative anonymity of forums, I lurked for years before finally joining and participating. When I saw here that the Summit was posted to Youtube, I actually felt my face contort like it does when discomfort arises. But now I had a chance to watch some of it. I still have some mixed feelings about the Youtube archiving but on the other hand, it was really great to be able to see some of the people I've shared this space with. I'm pretty sure I could get past my reservations for the chance to meet and chat with the folks here. Hope to see you all at an upcoming Summit. If you see a guy there in a lucha libre mask, don't be too alarmed. ;)
There is absolutely no requirement to participate on camera. If you wish, you can participate by voice and text or text only. Google Meet, the method we're using allows for those options, and it also provides call-in numbers for those who'd wish to participate by phone.

The video is not searchable on YouTube. Someone would need to link to it, or visit this thread to be able to view it. That's also why I put it behind the member-only tags: That way search bots and unregistered users can't see it.

I want everyone who wants to participate to do so, but I also want those participants to be as comfortable with the process as possible.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

ManOnTime wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:42 am
There is absolutely no requirement to participate on camera. If you wish, you can participate by voice and text or text only. Google Meet, the method we're using allows for those options, and it also provides call-in numbers for those who'd wish to participate by phone.

I want everyone who wants to participate to do so, but I also want those participants to be as comfortable with the process as possible.
I definitely appreciate having those other options to participate. I got a chance to go back and watch a few more minutes and I realized that the video is "unlisted" on your Youtube channel and doesn't come up for me with a search on Youtube, only the link from the site. If it would stay that way, that's a pretty good setting for me to participate by video. Basically I'm just always worried that someone armed with just my first and last name can find personal information about me, including a photo or video of me (I'm aware I probably sound crazy or like I have something to hide). It sounds like that's not anything I have to worry about in this instance, which is great. But also, it's so none of you guys ever try to sell merch with my likeness on it. ;)
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

I am glad that yinzburgher put his feelings out there because I share many of them. The idea video archive made me a little uncomfortable but at the same time I enjoyed watching the archive last night. Neither my wife or I are on social media so maybe that is the "old man" in me coming out. I do a fair amount of public speaking professionally, but have never been very comfortable in front of a camera.

The summit was a great idea and I am looking forward to participating in the future!

Also, thanks to the archive I am on the lookout for a Victorinox moon phase ;)
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Just wanted to echo some of the sentiments already expressed regarding the recording...

I'm an otherwise private person and doubly so online. I do not have a FB account or an account on any of its properties (e.g. Instagram), I avoid logging into Google services whenever humanly possible, and I don't use Twitter. MoT is my biggest involvement in an online community by a large margin.

The fact that the summit was being recorded gave me some pause (unintended pun). In the end, I chose to participate anyway because I wanted to meet everyone and do my part to be inclusive of those who were unable to join. Again, I want to reiterate that I made my own choice to participate and participate with the video turned on.

Obviously the decision rests with @ManOnTime and the mods, but personally I would feel more comfortable if:
1. The archived video was eventually removed from Youtube after some reasonable amount of time
2. Future meetings could be more ephemeral (like in real life)
3. We found other ways to accommodate members outside of North America (e.g. holding parallel summits in multiple timezones or rotating the timezones that the meeting is held)

With all that said, if the next summit was also recorded, I would probably still join with video.
Last edited by peskydonut on Tue May 12, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Living a comeback montage.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

peskydonut wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:47 pmObviously the decision rests with @ManOnTime and the mods, but personally I would feel more comfortable if:
1. The archived video was eventually removed from Youtube after some reasonable amount of time
3. We found other ways to accommodate members outside of North America (e.g. holding parallel summits in multiple timezones or rotating the timezones that the meeting is held)
1. I won't delete it, but I will archive it so that only I have access to it. I can do this immediately but would like to wait until Saturday at the earliest.
2. In-person meet-ups could be fun. There would be some serious logistics to work out, and couldn't happen until the pandemic is on the way out.
3. Multiple Summits are definitely needed. [mention]watchpalooza[/mention] could host one for our European members, and I'm sure we could find someone to host for our Asian and Oceania members.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

ManOnTime wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:18 pm
peskydonut wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:47 pmObviously the decision rests with @ManOnTime and the mods, but personally I would feel more comfortable if:
1. I won't delete it, but I will archive it so that only I have access to it. I can do this immediately but would like to wait until Saturday at the earliest.
2. In-person meet-ups could be fun. There would be some serious logistics to work out, and couldn't happen until the pandemic is on the way out.
3. Multiple Summits are definitely needed. @watchpalooza could host one for our European members, and I'm sure we could find someone to host for our Asian and Oceania members.
Thanks for being so responsive to input!
Living a comeback montage.