We're Moving!

Click for more info.

The SF Bay Area Thread!

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Fuzzysquid
MoT Member

The SF Bay Area Thread!

Post by Fuzzysquid »

From the side chatter on the deals thread, seems like there are a bunch of Bay Area people here. So I'll take the opportunity to start a thread for us and ask if you have local watchmakers you like.

Most of my experience is with shops in SF. There are many I would NOT recommend, and only a few I like.

I heartily recommend Giovanni Passalacqua, aka The Independent Watch Service Center of SF. They used to be an authorized Rolex Service Center, but are now independent. This is the place to go for everything Rolex.

There are like 5 other watchmakers in that building, and I would recommend against almost every one of them. There are all very well rated on Yelp, but each one of them have let me down (which is unsurprising, as I think the bulk of the reviews are from people who got batteries changed, etc.). Like damaged my watches bad. Claimed a part didn't exist, when I could easily find and order it myself, bad.

An exception might be United Watch Services; I've only done minor stuff with them but got the feeling they really know their stuff.

I also like Clock World, that's where I take my "affordables".

Love to hear your recommendations
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: The SF Bay Area Thread!

Post by watchpalooza »

Oddly in 10+ years living in North Bay, I have never purchased from a local shop. All my purchases have been private party or online.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Landed_Alien
MoT Member

Post by Landed_Alien »

On the deals side, Nordstrom Rack down in Willow Glen had a load of reduced-price G-Shocks about a month ago. This isn't specific to that one store, but I know the Willow Glen one had about 100(?) that were at least 50% off retail. I'll probably swing by this weekend and try to provide an update.

I picked up square "stormtrooper" (GWM5610MD-7) for about $70 - not bad for a solar/multi-band square.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

I haven't had to service any of my watches yet, but I have bought two locally. I traveled all the way from Petaluma to Burlingame just to check out a used AT from Topper (which I bought at a fair price). Very nice and professional people and a great place to go see some eye candy. I have heard great things about their watchmaker too, and when the time comes, my Omega will go there.

I also attended the latest Zodiac release event they had. Very fun time, and I would highly recommend attending any of their events. They will work with you a bit on prices too. Not quite grey market, but not too far off either especially with full warranty.

Good to see some bay area representation! I just knew there had to be some WIS out here.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

p415b
Been thanked: 0

Post by p415b »

For other watch events in the Bay Area check out
https://www.watchthebay.com and sign up for their events.
I had a blast at the SEIKO event last year and met a lot of local watch enthusiasts.
Really looking forward to their next event in 2 weeks - Oris event, and the SEIKO event in February.
[emoji1306]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

p415b wrote:For other watch events in the Bay Area check out
https://www.watchthebay.com and sign up for their events.
I had a blast at the SEIKO event last year and met a lot of local watch enthusiasts.
Really looking forward to their next event in 2 weeks - Oris event, and the SEIKO event in February.
[emoji1306]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just sent an RSVP for me and my dad (who I didn't ask, but is a huge WIS and came with me to the Zodiac event last minute) for the Oris event on the 26th. I will keep you guys posted if it is gonna work out. Thanks for the "heads up" lol.

Fuzzysquid
MoT Member

Post by Fuzzysquid »

Dub Rubb wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:37 pm I have heard great things about their watchmaker too, and when the time comes, my Omega will go there.
Oh yeah, been to Toppers a few times, but hadn't thought about using them for service. Love to hear your experience, when that eventually happens.
p415b wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:54 pm For other watch events in the Bay Area check out watchthebay and sign up for their events.
Thanks, I signed up for their emails.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Fuzzysquid wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:37 pm I have heard great things about their watchmaker too, and when the time comes, my Omega will go there.
Oh yeah, been to Toppers a few times, but hadn't thought about using them for service. Love to hear your experience, when that eventually happens.
p415b wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:54 pm For other watch events in the Bay Area check out watchthebay and sign up for their events.
Thanks, I signed up for their emails.
Are you Domo?
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Alright, I may rescind my Oris event and go for the Seiko event on Feb 9th. I own 0 Oris and about 15 Seikos. I really LIKE Oris, but I LOVE Seiko. I know Oris is better in a lot of respects, but c'mon, this is Seiko we are talking about!

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I wish I could find something like those events here in the Minneapolis area. The only downside is I have slight social anxiety, so there's a chance I wouldn't go anyway, or go and not interact very much. 😂
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

ManOnTime wrote:I wish I could find something like those events here in the Minneapolis area. The only downside is I have slight social anxiety, so there's a chance I wouldn't go anyway, or go and not interact very much. [emoji23]
Just take a flight to the bay man. I'll buy all the drinks you need and bring lots of wrist candy! Plus, you'd be around Dub Rubb! The non medical cure for social anxiety! You know you would be in good company.

AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Where I live in Canada the watch community is literally non-existent. It sucks. Every watch I buy gets shipped in from another country and I always pay like 22% in duty and 13% in tax. Plus shipping. Wish we at least had some people interested in watches around here so I can at least relate to someone LOL
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

ManOnTime wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:02 pm I wish I could find something like those events here in the Minneapolis area. The only downside is I have slight social anxiety, so there's a chance I wouldn't go anyway, or go and not interact very much. 😂
I wouldn't be surprised if Minneapolis has a RedBar Group. It sounds like a pretty fun thing and would be worth it to go once to see how you like it. I found contact info for the one for Pittsburgh and was excited about meeting some other people that were into watches but they never got back to me. But I sometimes work out of town for extended periods so may try again elsewhere. I'm sure Bay Area has some Red Bar groups too.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:Where I live in Canada the watch community is literally non-existent. It sucks. Every watch I buy gets shipped in from another country and I always pay like 22% in duty and 13% in tax. Plus shipping. Wish we at least had some people interested in watches around here so I can at least relate to someone LOL
Honestly, nobody is into watches. Anywhere. I work in 3-4 houses every day, and in the last 4 years( since I started paying attention) I found one guy wearing a Steinhardt OVM on a perlon NATO. I was super excited when I figured out it wasn't just another Sub. And it was on effing perlon!!! Eulit no less! He felt the same way when I asked if it was a Eulit? No, I didn't ask about the watch, I asked about the Perlon! I am lucky enough that my dad is a WIS, but outside of him, nobody I know gives a Schit about my new watches. That's why we are here!

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

yinzburgher wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:40 am I wouldn't be surprised if Minneapolis has a RedBar Group. It sounds like a pretty fun thing and would be worth it to go once to see how you like it. I found contact info for the one for Pittsburgh and was excited about meeting some other people that were into watches but they never got back to me.
Minneapolis does have a RedBar, and I had the exact same experience.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody