We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Payment method for selling watches?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Elkins45
MoT Member

Payment method for selling watches?

Post by Elkins45 »

For those of you that sell/flip watches, how do you receive payment? PayPal? Money order? Wire transfer?

I'm selling a watch and it makes me nervous to use PayPal because they are so aggressively pro-buyer that it makes "items not as described" scams possible. Am I just being paranoid?
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Payment method for selling watches?

Post by TheJohnP »

I don't know if there's any way that doesn't involve risk, even cash in hand could be counterfeit. I've read where a wire transfer was sent and then later retracted after item was shipped. If there's a way to pay, someone has figured out a way to scam.

I have always used PayPal and taken LOTS of pics of the watch. Pics of how it is wrapped and secured for shipment (and that watch is being sent...).

Assuming this is on Ebay, if you are only getting an offer from buyer, take a look at their feedback history. Not only the feedback they've received, but the feedback they've given. That is a good indicator if they're a problem buyer.

If not, ask for references or try to look up as much about them from their actual or screen name.

That should minimize your risk.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

I don't have as much experience as some others here. I've sold maybe maybe 10 watches total, all on eBay, all using PayPal. I haven't had any real big problems, but I've encountered at least one scammer who was lobbying me pretty hard to ship the watch overseas despite being told repeatedly that I will only ship CONUS. At some point he/she tried to convince me that the freight forwarding address they gave me was their "friend's business office".

Probaly common knowledge, but only ship to a PayPal verified address that's tied to the buyer. Any requests to ship elsewhere is almost certainly a scam. Also take pictures and insure for full amount.
Last edited by peskydonut on Sun May 10, 2020 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Living a comeback montage.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

TheJohnP wrote:and that watch is being sent...
Like a selfie with the postal worker?
Living a comeback montage.
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

I wouldn't worry about it. There's always a risk involved for both parties but PayPal is definitely more guarded towards the buyer.

But don't let that discourage you. Just do your due diligence and most of the time, it should go smoothly.

I've only sold a handful and haven't had any problems with ebay - even in a returned watch. I'm more wary of buying from WUS than anything even though I've purchased a few over the years.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Elkins45
MoT Member

Post by Elkins45 »

The sale is thru a forum contact (not here), not eBay. I’m sure it will be fine, but I was just curious if there were other options. We’re not talking Rolex money here :)