We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Fuel Sniffers Anonymous (The Thread For Car Nuts)

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
BATMAN
MoT Member

Re: Fuel Sniffers Anonymous (The Thread For Car Nuts)

Post by BATMAN »

I love my 97 cr-v, I'll keep it forever but man that truck is cool
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

That F150 is a car camping dream. Put a camper conversion on the bed and you're good to go - plenty of room for all the gear, outlets if you need electricity. And Ford's been so behind on the EV market that they're still eligible for a $7500 federal tax credit in the US. But then there's this:
Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 1.23.14 PM.png
I really dislike this trend toward large touchscreen interfaces for consoles. Maybe I'm becoming a luddite, but it seems like a recipe for distracted driving. You can feel for a physical volume or climate control knob once you learn roughly where it is. I can't imagine using this without taking your eyes off the road.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sussa wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:27 pm That F150 is a car camping dream. Put a camper conversion on the bed and you're good to go - plenty of room for all the gear, outlets if you need electricity. And Ford's been so behind on the EV market that they're still eligible for a $7500 federal tax credit in the US. But then there's this:

I really dislike this trend toward large touchscreen interfaces for consoles. Maybe I'm becoming a luddite, but it seems like a recipe for distracted driving. You can feel for a physical volume or climate control knob once you learn roughly where it is. I can't imagine using this without taking your eyes off the road.
The rebates are per model, not per manufacturer.

Ford's been into EVs since at least the early 1990s (conceptually and internal R&D). There was a Ranger EV that was sold mostly to fleet users from 1998-2002. In the retail space, Ford has been selling hybrid and PHEVs since 2005, and an all-electric version of the Focus from 2012-2018. They aren't new to the electricfied game. (But yes, their electric vehicles haven't been hot sellers, but this truck should change that.)

I share some of your concerns about the screen. 15" seems a little bit overkill.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

ManOnTime wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:25 pm
Sussa wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:27 pm That F150 is a car camping dream. Put a camper conversion on the bed and you're good to go - plenty of room for all the gear, outlets if you need electricity. And Ford's been so behind on the EV market that they're still eligible for a $7500 federal tax credit in the US. But then there's this:

Ford's been into EVs since at least the early 1990s (conceptually and internal R&D). There was a Ranger EV that was sold mostly to fleet users from 1998-2002. In the retail space, Ford has been selling hybrid and PHEVs since 2005, and an all-electric version of the Focus from 2012-2018. They aren't new to the electricfied game. (But yes, their electric vehicles haven't been hot sellers, but this truck should change that.)

I share some of your concerns about the screen. 15" seems a little bit overkill.
I have to respectfully correct you. The remaining credit is by manufacturer, not model. Source: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/plug-in- ... nd-irc-30d. This is why the majority of Tesla's credits were gone by the time the Model 3 hit. Tesla and GM are the only manufacturers who have sold through the 200,000. From what I can find Ford looks to be in the 130,000 range. So those remaining 70,000 will likely go real quick after this F150 is available.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Boourns wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:33 pm

I have to respectfully correct you. The remaining credit is by manufacturer, not model. Source: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/plug-in- ... nd-irc-30d. This is why the majority of Tesla's credits were gone by the time the Model 3 hit. Tesla and GM are the only manufacturers who have sold through the 200,000. From what I can find Ford looks to be in the 130,000 range. So those remaining 70,000 will likely go real quick after this F150 is available.
The credit you linked is for business and/or self-employed tax purposes.

I was looking at the charts provided here: https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

But who knew there'd be conflicting/confusing info between governmental agencies?! :lol:

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

ManOnTime wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:46 pm
Boourns wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:33 pm

The credit you linked is for business and/or self-employed tax purposes.

I was looking at the charts provided here: https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

But who knew there'd be conflicting/confusing info between governmental agencies?! :lol:
So you are right in terms of the amount of credit available per car. The confusion is that there is a per-vehicle cap on the amount each credit is worth, based on the model of the car, and ALSO a *per-manufacturer* cap of total credits available. Your chart shows the max amount a person can claim for each model of car. The determining factor is the size of the battery. Any full EV cars are eligible for the full $7,500, but PHEVs are usually not because they have much smaller batteries.

However, in addition to caps on the amount each credit may be worth, the total number credits is also capped on a manufacturer basis. I think this is the cap that Sussa was referring to. So, for instance, if you buy a Ford Fusion Energi today, you can claim a $4,609 tax credit on your taxes next April (presuming you have that much tax liability). If you buy a Mach E Mustang, you can claim up to $7,500. But if you buy a Bolt today, you get nothing because GM is out of tax credits, as it has already sold 200,000 credit-eligible vehicles. (Now, this is technically not a cap on the number of credits claimed, but a cap on the number of credit-eligible cars sold. A car sold is a car sold whether or not the purchaser claimed the credit. In my mind it just makes it a littler easier to understand to talk in terms of credits available.)

I am way in the weeds at this point, but IMO capping on the *amount* each person could claim per car and the total number of cars per manufacturer was a very dumb way to do this. Ford, for instance, has sold a significant number of PHEVs, so they have burned through 130,000 credits. But nearly all of these care were only eligible for a fraction of the max $7,500 per-car limit. This is because, aside from the VERY low selling Focus EV, Ford didn't even make a car that was eligible for the full tax credit until the Mach E Mustang this year. So after 130,000 credits used, Ford customers may have gotten the benefit of something like $455 million in tax credits. But after 130,000, Tesla customers benefitted by $975 million.

Anyway, the whole system is convoluted and dumb. The only reason I am familiar with it is because I have been interested in the topic for going on 10 years at this point and have owed 3 EVs since 2014. I wish it were simpler so that people would be able understand it without having to research it for years because the whole dang point of it was to encourage adoption of the technology.
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Boourns wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:21 pm However, in addition to caps on the amount each credit may be worth, the total number credits is also capped on a manufacturer basis. I think this is the cap that Sussa was referring to.
Yes, that's what I was referring to - the 200,000 unit per manufacturer phase out that only GM and Tesla have exceeded. This handy list does tell you how much of a rebate each vehicle is eligible for: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/irc-30d- ... cle-credit

We were considering a GM EV last time we purchased and the looming phase out of the credit at the time played a part in how quickly we made a decision, even though we ended up getting a Nissan Leaf.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sussa wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:16 pm
Boourns wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:21 pm However, in addition to caps on the amount each credit may be worth, the total number credits is also capped on a manufacturer basis. I think this is the cap that Sussa was referring to.
Yes, that's what I was referring to - the 200,000 unit per manufacturer phase out that only GM and Tesla have exceeded. This handy list does tell you how much of a rebate each vehicle is eligible for: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/irc-30d- ... cle-credit

We were considering a GM EV last time we purchased and the looming phase out of the credit at the time played a part in how quickly we made a decision, even though we ended up getting a Nissan Leaf.
I test drove the second-generation Leaf and thought it was pretty impressive.

We'll be sticking with our Fusion Energi for the time being, but I'm sure our next vehicle will be full electric. The F150 Lightning may be too hard to pass up!

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Sorry to derail the EV talk, but this was parked on the street today and had to share a pic.

Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

^ That is gorgeous.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Stretch44 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:08 pm Sorry to derail the EV talk, but this was parked on the street today and had to share a pic.

190SL with a missing grill.

Could easily do an EV conversion to that. :D

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Ford coming in hot with another new vehicle that has a good chance of being a game-changer.

2022 Ford Maverick. Compact uni-body truck with up to 4,000lb towing capacity, 1,500lb payload. 40mpg city with the standard 2.5L hybrid power train.

The hybrid version is FWD, but the very good 2.0L EcoBoost (~250hp) will be available with AWD.

Pricing starts at $19,995 ($21,490 with destination fee).

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3660 ... -revealed/

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

ManOnTime wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:44 am Image

Ford coming in hot with another new vehicle that has a good chance of being a game-changer.

2022 Ford Maverick. Compact uni-body truck with up to 4,000lb towing capacity, 1,500lb payload. 40mpg city with the standard 2.5L hybrid power train.

The hybrid version is FWD, but the very good 2.0L EcoBoost (~250hp) will be available with AWD.

Pricing starts at $19,995 ($21,490 with destination fee).

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3660 ... -revealed/
You left out the most exciting part: The base engine is Atkinson cycle!

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Had a great day playing hooky with my partner at the firm and went to Concourse on the Avenues. It's Car Week in Carmel. This is my favorite event because it's free and you get to see such an eclectic mix of cars. If you like cars, I highly recommend Monterey Car Week. I posted everything on discord but here's a taste.

Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Upgraded the 2018