We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Fuel Sniffers Anonymous (The Thread For Car Nuts)

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Re: Fuel Sniffers Anonymous (The Thread For Car Nuts)

Post by BostonCharlie »

I don't know if I am old-skool or just old-fashioned, but I want a car with a manual transmission. My '70 VW camper bus was manual and it was the most fun to drive (this was in the '90s). I have read that today's automatic transmission technology is better than manual, resulting in faster 0-60 times and better fuel mileage than with a manual. I suppose I could just leapfrog the question and go electric. Someday.

At least I know I'm not alone considering that this VW GTI recently sold for $62k on BaT:

Nanny86
Has thanked: 0

Post by Nanny86 »

Manual is always gold, but for kids nowadays the prefer auto transmission because of canviniece.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

There is no practical reason to have a manual transmission in a modern car other than some antiquated "I feel more connected" nonsense. Ok, maybe to save money, but in a lot of cars, selecting a manual transmission is more expensive.

Modern torque converter and certainly single and dual-clutch automatics are more efficient and shift much, much faster than their manual counterparts. As a result, the vehicles they are in are quicker and more fuel-efficient as well.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
BATMAN
MoT Member

Post by BATMAN »

As fun as it can be in some situations, I don't miss driving stick at all. I'd rather have a nice lazy experience
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

ManOnTime wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:23 pm There is no practical reason to have a manual transmission in a modern car…
My father’s reason for paying more for manual transmission vehicles for himself was to prevent my brother and me from borrowing them while we were teenagers. That’s pretty practical.

And yes, he has bought nothing but automatics since we moved out. :lol:
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

I’ve had at least one manual transmission vehicle for 33 years. I learned to drive in a stick shift sports car. Cars aren’t an appliance to me. I enjoy them.

My 4Runner is an extremely boring grocery getter on the road. Really fun off. I almost bought a 2021 Tacoma with a manual instead of my 4Runner, but I wanted my wife to drive it when I need her to so didn’t go the Tacoma route.

My wife prefers an auto because it’s just a ride from point A to point B. I get that, but it’s not me. Her Murano has a CVT that is super smooth, but has no fun factor at all.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

After learning to drive on an automatic, I wanted the experience of driving a sports car. I bought an Austin-Healey Sprite, then an MGB, and then on to other manual cars.

I eventually ended up driving Infinitis--first manual ones and then automatics when Infiniiti eliminated the stick.

I must admit that driving an automatic around in city traffic is the only way to go. The fun of hustling around country roads and playing Sterling Moss is not easily achieved here in the most urban of states.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

I always wanted a VW GTI--but, alas, it never worked out.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote:I always wanted a VW GTI--but, alas, it never worked out.
I had an ‘85 and a ‘92. The ‘92 had more put into it in parts than the car cost me. Bought it in ‘93.

The problem with that era of VW was the Bosch electronics. To say they had gremlins is the understatement of the century.

Are you a fan of the new ones? I’ve driven a few since 2010 or so, but they just don’t move me. I was a Civic Si and Accord coupe person. Traded my ‘20 Si coupe and now Honda doesn’t even make the Accord or Civic coupe anymore.

I’m about to move and when I get where I’m going I’m going to order a new Toyota GR 86. Probably will take at least 6 months to receive the way things are going.
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

I love my F-150 as well. 175K miles, 2010 XLT, 4x4, super crew with a peppy little 4.6L on a 2” level and 20x10’s, raptor-lined bumpers, leather seat covers, dual subs and on and on. Here’s the before and after pix. But I’d absolutely rock a Maverick Lariat FX4. Those things are going to sell like hot cakes.

BEFORE

AFTER

AND I do like a my garage organized. Slightly (maybe massively OCD)

And a few refrigerators that I decal’d up to look like gas pumps.

BATMAN
MoT Member

Post by BATMAN »

CVP33 wrote:I love my F-150 as well. 175K miles, 2010 XLT, 4x4, super crew with a peppy little 4.6L on a 2” level and 20x10’s, raptor-lined bumpers, leather seat covers, dual subs and on and on. Here’s the before and after pix. But I’d absolutely rock a Maverick Lariat FX4. Those things are going to sell like hot cakes.

BEFORE

AFTER

AND I do like a my garage organized. Slightly (maybe massively OCD)

And a few refrigerators that I decal’d up to look like gas pumps.

Wow! That's dream garage stuff. Or #goals. Whatever the kids say these days. Very cool!
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

New toy is inbound. 1995 Daihatsu HiJet, 5spd, 2WD with A/C and VERY low miles as evidenced by the interior.

BATMAN
MoT Member

Post by BATMAN »

CVP33 wrote:New toy is inbound. 1995 Daihatsu HiJet, 5spd, 2WD with A/C and VERY low miles as evidenced by the interior.

Awesome! Plans for it?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

CVP33 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:34 pm New toy is inbound. 1995 Daihatsu HiJet, 5spd, 2WD with A/C and VERY low miles as evidenced by the interior.

------

Enjoy it.
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

Classic storm trooper look. Already ordered:

1) Wheels/tires Drag DR-34 14x5.5” with Falken 195/60’s - $580 Discount Tire Direct
2) Rubber garage flooring to use as a bed mat - $65 eBay
3) Two 24” white Lund truck boxes for across the back for storage - $240 Amazon
4) 100 sq ft of 80mil Kilmat - $150 eBay
5) 110x4 to 114.3x4 wheel adapters - $70 eBay
6) Black lug nuts - $13 eBay

Still need to buy:

1) Window tint
2) Wheel flares
3) Radio (Japanese versions don’t pickup our FM)
4) Raptor Liner for bed - I may go white…..