We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Watches and Space Exploration

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Watches and Space Exploration

Post by Split-Time »

Toveri wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:00 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:39 am
Looks pretty good one a dark brown croc grain.
That looks great!

The listing now says "limited quantity available". Please somebody buy them before I get myself a third Moonview.

Edit to add: If you need more persuation Accutron and the Astronaut GMT watch these were modeled after have an incredibly interesting history. Space pedigree for less than 100 bucks. If you know of any other such watches (apart from the Timex Datalink) do let me know and I will very likely throw money at it, because cheap + aerospace history is my idea of a match made in heaven.

I lost quite a bit of time looking at this last night and today.

Watches Used in Space Exploration

Get your wallet ready!

Based on number the GShock DW5600 is second only to the X-33 and ahead of the Speedmaster. Granted, there are about 200 unidentified watches. Pete Conrad wore a Glycine Airman on Gemini V and XI. The Bulova's are cool. In the early Shuttle years a ton of Seiko A829 variants went up. Sexy Speedmasters replaced by practical and accurate digital :roll: . I understand the reasons and would probably do the same, but you know I would take Speedy with me 8-) .
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Heads Up! I Saw A Bargain Here! 2020

Post by watchpalooza »

Split-Time wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:17 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:39 am
Looks pretty good one a dark brown croc grain.
That looks great!

The listing now says "limited quantity available". Please somebody buy them before I get myself a third Moonview.

Edit to add: If you need more persuation Accutron and the Astronaut GMT watch these were modeled after have an incredibly interesting history. Space pedigree for less than 100 bucks. If you know of any other such watches (apart from the Timex Datalink) do let me know and I will very likely throw money at it, because cheap + aerospace history is my idea of a match made in heaven.

Get your wallet ready!

Based on number the GShock DW5600 is second only to the X-33 and ahead of the Speedmaster. Granted, there are about 200 unidentified watches. Pete Conrad wore a Glycine Airman on Gemini V and XI. The Bulova's are cool. In the early Shuttle years a ton of Seiko A829 variants went up. Sexy Speedmasters replaced by practical and accurate digital :roll: . I understand the reasons and would probably do the same, but you know I would take Speedy with me 8-) .
This is really cool. A lot more watches in space than I would have expected. Seems a number of them by astronaut preference. Really like this Russian one work on the Soyuz 23 mission:
CC4F4C24-CA31-48E0-86A4-56B793A49D2C.png
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
nicegator
MoT Member

Post by nicegator »

watchpalooza wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:35 am

That looks great!

Get your wallet ready!

This is really cool. A lot more watches in space than I would have expected. Seems a number of them by astronaut preference. Really like this Russian one work on the Soyuz 23 mission:

This one?

https://www.poljot24.de/en/poljot-okean.html
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

watchpalooza wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:35 am

That looks great!

Get your wallet ready!

There was even a Ball Hydrocarbon :shock: . I wasn't expecting that.

I don't want to clog up this thread, but "yes," by the time the U.S. began flying the Shuttle watches were personal preference. There was much less need for standardization and relying on timepieces. The Shuttle launched a series of tracking and data relay satellites that allow the crew and spacecraft to be in constant communication with ground control. In the early years that was not the case. Everything was based on mission elapsed time (MET). Some of the Gemini crews flew with four Speedmasters, using at least one as MET (they asked that the MET clock be moved to a location that was easier to see).

When I read James Hansen's biography of Neil Armstrong, "First Man," Mr. Armstrong referred to the operation of the "stopwatch" several times in varying situations. The Speedmasters were used for a lot more than the manual correction burn on Apollo 13. Technology advanced of course, but sentimental folks like me are going to be sentimental.
dumpweed
MoT Member

Re: Watches and Space Exploration

Post by dumpweed »

For EVA (Extravehicular activity), astronauts still use mechanical moon watch due to severe temperature change:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-o ... -skywalker
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Thank you for moving this over [mention]watchpalooza[/mention] !

I don't know how I ended up going down this rabbit hole but I am about to claw myself back out. My interest in watches is fairly recent which means that the intersection of these two interests is even more recent.

Here is the Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon on STS-131 (2010).

The site that I referenced identifies this as a Timex Q worn my CDR Bob Crippen on STS-41C in 1984.

How about a Vostok Komandirskie MIG 29 in 1995?

If you pay a reported $35mil for a flight as a space tourist (2009), why not take a AP Royal Oak Grand Complication?

The first Shuttle launch that I attended did not have any watches identified, so you know what that means :roll: . I will be back down in the hole.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

@cortman is expecting delivery of a dope space watch, the Fortis Cosmonaut Chrono. According to the Watches in Space Watch Database, it has been on missions from 1994/95 to 2015. It is really cool and I am excited for him.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Sporkboy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:15 am @cortman is expecting delivery of a dope space watch, the Fortis Cosmonaut Chrono. According to the Watches in Space Watch Database, it has been on missions from 1994/95 to 2015. It is really cool and I am excited for him.
I meant to ask him what grail he recently acquired. Can't wait to see pics. Congrats [mention]cortman[/mention]!
I wish that watch were 38mm?
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Sporkboy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:15 am @cortman is expecting delivery of a dope space watch, the Fortis Cosmonaut Chrono. According to the Watches in Space Watch Database, it has been on missions from 1994/95 to 2015. It is really cool and I am excited for him.
Thanks [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] ! I am really excited to get this one in. By some estimates this is the watch that has spent the most time in space of any. The Russian ROSCOSMOS space agency continues to use the current version of this watch today.
This watch was tested and functioned flawlessly in temperatures ranging from -200 C (-328F) to 100C (212F). That really blew my mind when I read that.
This watch is almost perfectly sized for me at 38mm diameter, 13mm thick, and about 46 lug to lug.

Pic borrowed from my good friend @wis_on_a_budget on Instagram. He just recently sold his.

PetrosD
MoT Member

Post by PetrosD »

cortman wrote:
Thanks [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] ! I am really excited to get this one in. By some estimates this is the watch that has spent the most time in space of any. The Russian ROSCOSMOS space agency continues to use the current version of this watch today.
This watch was tested and functioned flawlessly in temperatures ranging from -200 C (-328F) to 100C (212F). That really blew my mind when I read that.
This watch is almost perfectly sized for me at 38mm diameter, 13mm thick, and about 46 lug to lug.

Pic borrowed from my good friend @wis_on_a_budget on Instagram. He just recently sold his.

TGV did a pretty good review of the Fortis Cosmonaut Chronograph a few years ago.

cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

PetrosD wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:47 pm
cortman wrote:
Thanks @Sporkboy ! I am really excited to get this one in. By some estimates this is the watch that has spent the most time in space of any. The Russian ROSCOSMOS space agency continues to use the current version of this watch today.

TGV did a pretty good review of the Fortis Cosmonaut Chronograph a few years ago.

Like so many of us TGV was one of the first things I discovered when I started becoming interested in watches. His video(s) on the Cosmonauts Chronographs were what inspired my love for the watch. Say what you will about the guy, some of the stuff he puts out is both entertaining and informative.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

B297C284-0921-43E0-855C-AFC9D75C2669.jpeg
I am all for function over form, but damn. Please don’t do this to your Fortis. That may be Russian underwear elastic or something.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Sporkboy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:14 pm B297C284-0921-43E0-855C-AFC9D75C2669.jpeg

I am all for function over form, but damn. Please don’t do this to your Fortis. That may be Russian underwear elastic or something.
I think there has to be a literally-in-space exception. :lol:
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Boourns wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:04 pm
Sporkboy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:14 pm B297C284-0921-43E0-855C-AFC9D75C2669.jpeg

I think there has to be a literally-in-space exception. :lol:
Yes, agreed. If you go into space then you can do whatever the hell you want as far as getting the job done goes.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Haha I saw that. Should I go full horological neckbeard and insist on tHe oRiGiNaL sTrAp ThE aStRoNaUtS wOrE?