We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Hair Coloring Tips? Esp. covering gray hair

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Hair Coloring Tips? Esp. covering gray hair

Post by BostonCharlie »

I have been self-employed for a long time. A full-time job has come up that I plan to apply for. My industry is high tech, so it's pretty youthful, but I am about 30% gray, evenly distributed. For the first time I am considering coloring my hair (and brows? no beard) to conceal my gray. My hair used to be brown.

Does anybody have advice or product recommendations? Thanks.

While we're on the subject, I would be curious to hear any experiences y'all have had with hair loss products. Here's what I know (from the WSJ):
... That began to change in 2017 with the introduction of a trio of startup brands—Hims, Keeps and Roman—that talked in refreshingly frank, even witty ways about their products’ potential to help men counteract hair loss. About three years prior, the patent for finasteride (previously held by Merck & Co. in the U.S., which marketed the drug as Propecia) expired, opening the door for these New York-based brands to sell an inexpensive, generic version—at around $20 a month. The companies also sell affordable hair solutions containing over-the-counter minoxidil, the active ingredient in Rogaine.
When I gave blood I was surprised to see finasteride listed as one of the prescription drugs that disqualify you from donating -- that spooked me.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Hair Coloring Tips? Esp. covering gray hair

Post by MoT »

I've colored my beard in the past with Just For Men comb in dye. It didn't stain, was easy to use and Mrs.MoT thought it looked natural. I have no experience with the head hair product, but I assume it would be similar.

As for the hair loss products... I seriously considered trying Hims or Keeps until I read about the potential side effects. Increased risk of high-grade prostate cancer along with post-finasteride syndrome with Propecia/Finasteride and risking heart necrosis and valve damage (especially since I come from a long line of heart disease patients) with Minoxidil made me decide that my hair thinning/loss isn't that big of a deal.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

For coloring the JFM comb-in works well, and washes out after a few weeks. This is good for beards especially since it looks more natural as it fades and does not create visible line at the roots where the hair grows out. For any permanent coloring you will have the root line issue and have to re-dye just the roots every few weeks to keep it natural looking. Nearly all the perm colors on the market are the same. I have had good luck with Clairol as far as getting a more natural color with high / low lights. Some tips:

0) Buy color that is one shade lighter on the box than what you want
1) do not wash before coloring...the color takes better to oily / dirty hair
2) wear latex or nylon gloves and cover your body with a tarp or dark towel to avoid staining fingers and body
3) apply petroleum jelly or thick lotion to forehead, etc along hair lines to protect against skin dyeing
4) Time the application precisely. Consider applying the color first to gray areas, then to others
5) After coloring / rinsing / drying, re-color again immediately if the result is not what you want
6) Wait at least a full day afterward before washing hair again. Use shampoo specifically for color-treated hair when you do.
7) Wait a couple weeks before re-coloring, and If its permanent color then only color the roots (not re-applying to the whole head of hair.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
WPybus
MoT Member

Post by WPybus »

My colour is still there but amount of hair slowly disappearing- biotin tablets have slowed it down a lot- plus a quality comb over!! (42 years old!!!)
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

ManOnTime wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:59 am ...

As for the hair loss products... I seriously considered trying Hims or Keeps until I read about the potential side effects. Increased risk of high-grade prostate cancer along with post-finasteride syndrome with Propecia/Finasteride and risking heart necrosis and valve damage (especially since I come from a long line of heart disease patients) with Minoxidil made me decide that my hair thinning/loss isn't that big of a deal.
Thanks for that information -- that's all I need to know to stay away from it. My family has a bad history of prostate cancer.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

watchpalooza wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:50 am For coloring the JFM comb-in works well, and washes out after a few weeks. This is good for beards especially since it looks more natural as it fades and does not create visible line at the roots where the hair grows out. For any permanent coloring you will have the root line issue and have to re-dye just the roots every few weeks to keep it natural looking. Nearly all the perm colors on the market are the same. I have had good luck with Clairol as far as getting a more natural color with high / low lights. Some tips:

0) Buy color that is one shade lighter on the box than what you want
1) do not wash before coloring...the color takes better to oily / dirty hair
2) wear latex or nylon gloves and cover your body with a tarp or dark towel to avoid staining fingers and body
3) apply petroleum jelly or thick lotion to forehead, etc along hair lines to protect against skin dyeing
4) Time the application precisely. Consider applying the color first to gray areas, then to others
5) After coloring / rinsing / drying, re-color again immediately if the result is not what you want
6) Wait at least a full day afterward before washing hair again. Use shampoo specifically for color-treated hair when you do.
7) Wait a couple weeks before re-coloring, and If its permanent color then only color the roots (not re-applying to the whole head of hair.
Thank you very much for your detailed tips and the Clairol recommendation. They reinforce the impression that permanent coloring is a long-term commitment. I think I'll test the waters, first, with the JFM comb-in. Is there a shampoo you can recommend that's safer with color-treated hair?
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

A hat.

Or better yet, a helmet!
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Just posting this as a follow up to my original question -- maybe it will be helpful to somebody. Happily, the only surprise was the solution dripping down the back of my neck as I waited -- scrubbing it off with a wet washcloth worked. The final color is not what I expected, but it works: the gray is gone. I've never had red hair. Orange, blonde and purple, yes. Red, no. Thanks again for all of your advice. Still planning to look into biotin.

hair.jpg
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Looks good and more importantly, natural.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

BostonCharlie wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:16 pm Just posting this as a follow up to my original question -- maybe it will be helpful to somebody. Happily, the only surprise was the solution dripping down the back of my neck as I waited -- scrubbing it off with a wet washcloth worked. The final color is not what I expected, but it works: the gray is gone. I've never had red hair. Orange, blonde and purple, yes. Red, no. Thanks again for all of your advice. Still planning to look into biotin.

hair.jpg
All right...Bye bye gray! One thing you might consider for your next coloring is that thee are “warm“, “cool“ and “neutral“ tones available. All hair has natural pigment and a natural “base tone”. Haircolor formulas also use base colors upon which they build their hues and colors. Many natural or “warm” shades like the one you show above use a base pigment that is reddish. If your hair has a natural pigment base of a reddish tone, and you add haircolor that has a base color of red, you end up with a red shade or “brassiness”.

What you need is a haircolor formula with a base color to neutralize some of the natural red already present in your hair. Look for one next time with the word “ash” in the title, or a label on the box that states it is a “cool” tone and you will get a more natural result. From the Nice ‘n Easy line, I would suggest “6A Light Ash Brown“ for your color: https://www.clairol.com/en-US/products/ ... 0018116628
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Granite3
Has thanked: 0

Post by Granite3 »

I was grey haired by 30, no issues with hair loss, just grey.

Tried everything, nothing beat the Just for Men, apply, wait 5 minutes, wash out. Did it after my monthly haircut.

Finally stopped 2 years ago when my wife commented on how much she liked my grey hair. Co workers and clients were shocked at their first look at the grey mane.......
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

Ron choose dark brown not silver.

pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

BostonCharlie wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:17 am I have been self-employed for a long time. A full-time job has come up that I plan to apply for. My industry is high tech, so it's pretty youthful, but I am about 30% gray, evenly distributed. For the first time I am considering coloring my hair (and brows? no beard) to conceal my gray. My hair used to be brown.

Does anybody have advice or product recommendations? Thanks.

While we're on the subject, I would be curious to hear any experiences y'all have had with hair loss products. Here's what I know (from the WSJ):
... That began to change in 2017 with the introduction of a trio of startup brands—Hims, Keeps and Roman—that talked in refreshingly frank, even witty ways about their products’ potential to help men counteract hair loss. About three years prior, the patent for finasteride (previously held by Merck & Co. in the U.S., which marketed the drug as Propecia) expired, opening the door for these New York-based brands to sell an inexpensive, generic version—at around $20 a month. The companies also sell affordable hair solutions containing over-the-counter minoxidil, the active ingredient in Rogaine.
When I gave blood I was surprised to see finasteride listed as one of the prescription drugs that disqualify you from donating -- that spooked me.
Interesting thread! Thanks for starting.

Hope all goes well with the job application.

Too early to think interview watch?
Granite3
Has thanked: 0

Post by Granite3 »

Just an after thought-

At about 32 my soon to be wife suggested I make my hair a little less grey for the wedding pics. Had about 2 months so bought Grecian Formula, the go to stuff back in the day.
Followed directions to the T, after a week and a half no discernable difference... Called the 800 number and after describing my regimen, the CS person asked if I had coarse hair. I replied that coarse was putting it mildly.... He laughed and said I would have to apply every day and not wash my hair for at least a week.

I laughed, tossed it in the trash and requested my refund.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

WPybus wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:39 pm My colour is still there but amount of hair slowly disappearing- biotin tablets have slowed it down a lot- plus a quality comb over!! (42 years old!!!)
After reading your post I started taking biotin. I started with the 1000 mcg per day, then at some point started taking more than one per day, then tried a 5000 mcg pill. I started to wonder if the 5000 mcg was muddling my brain -- something was, anyhow -- so I stopped all biotin. I didn't take the 5000 mcg pill very long -- maybe a week. I stopped a few weeks ago.

Around the same time I started taking biotin for my hair, my ex started taking biotin for her nails, and she reports that it has noticeably improved her nails.

For me, I couldn't tell if it was making a difference. But tonight I was in the bathroom getting ready for bed and I noticed that my chest is much hairier than it used to be, lol. I don't wear my glasses in the bathroom so I hadn't noticed before. It might not be due to the biotin, of course (other supplements I've taken: multivitamin & saw palmetto -- things I've taken before taking biotin). And it doesn't mean the hair on my head is also getting thicker. But it's something I guess, lol.