What's your favorite forum/thread?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
peskydonut
MoT Member

What's your favorite forum/thread?

Post by peskydonut »

Aside from the obvious, mine are:

- Group Funded Watches
- New Releases
- Random Thoughts

Thank you to everyone who contributes!
Living a comeback montage.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: What's your favorite forum/thread?

Post by yinzburgher »

At one point, I definitely would have said the deals thread. I still obsess about watch deals but I've since become disenchanted with the thread. Thankfully there are plenty of other great threads here. In no particular order, my favorites are:

- WRUW - I just like seeing everyone's collection and daily photos.
- New releases - Exciting to see what's coming out, even if it's not to my taste.
- Haute Horology Discussion - I can't believe this stuff exists.
- $20 or less - I'm impressed with what can be had for so little money.

Honorable mention to LWDS. Watch forum people can be nit-picky to the point of being negative.....but you find none of that in this thread. Props for keeping it fun and lighthearted. Also props to anyone who has posted a full watch review in that sub-forum. I'm not very confident it would go well but I still think I'd like to give it a try some time.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Awesome thread [mention]peskydonut[/mention]! There are many threads on here that I love and it changes from week to week, but here are my top right now:

- LWDS - Love this thread for the general spirit. Everyone is great over there and it gets me to wear watches that may get neglected from time to time.
- New releases - I love seeing what's new and upcoming.
- WRUW - For the same reasons at [mention]yinzburgher[/mention].
- Discord Server - Both Watch Talk and Rambling Chatter. I know these aren't technically a thread of MoT, but I love the real-time discussions and where they go. Really good organic conversations over there about many topics.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

I like to check in on the bargain thread just to see what people are finding out there. I like the WRUW thread to see what people are wearing and how certain watches might look "in the real world" in case I decide to buy the same thing. I like the incoming thread since I'm always curious of the stuff you guys are buying. And of course the discord chat for less formal discussions and questions and random thoughts. DIY threads are great too, that's probably one of the best ways to use a forum.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

I haven't spent as much time on the HUISABH thread as the temptation is too strong. So currently, my favorites are:

Post a picture of your pet - I mean who doesn't love pet pictures?!?

LWDS - I may be biased on this one, but it's been a really fun place with tons of interesting watches and people. I also love all the ways people justify random compliance, it's just fun.

New and upcoming watches - almost too tempting as well at times, but a very eclectic collection of everything about to be released.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

yinzburgher wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:41 am At one point, I definitely would have said the deals thread. I still obsess about watch deals but I've since become disenchanted with the thread. Thankfully there are plenty of other great threads here. In no particular order, my favorites are:
Sorry to read about that, my man.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

LWDS - Participating has me really looking at my collection differently and thinking about how each watch could be compliant. Plus, you guys have some delicious-looking carnivore compliance, and I say that as someone who's been a vegetarian for 19 years.

WRUW - It's like LWDS, but without made-up justification for what you're wearing that day.

Incoming - So I can get the contact high of buying a new watch without breaking the bank.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

yinzburgher wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:41 am At one point, I definitely would have said the deals thread. I still obsess about watch deals but I've since become disenchanted with the thread.
Any particular reason why? What can we do to make it a better experience?
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sussa wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:27 pm LWDS - Participating has me really looking at my collection differently and thinking about how each watch could be compliant. Plus, you guys have some delicious-looking carnivore compliance, and I say that as someone who's been a vegetarian for 19 years.
I like to think of myself as versatile when it comes to food.

I can just as easily get excited about and want to throw down on a great vegetarian dish as I can one meat based. Don't be afraid to share some of your favorite dishes.

Heck, maybe we can have a "great food compliance".

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

ManOnTime wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:18 pm
Sussa wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:27 pm LWDS - Participating has me really looking at my collection differently and thinking about how each watch could be compliant. Plus, you guys have some delicious-looking carnivore compliance, and I say that as someone who's been a vegetarian for 19 years.

I can just as easily get excited about and want to throw down on a great vegetarian dish as I can one meat based. Don't be afraid to share some of your favorite dishes.

Vegetarian/Vegan Vednesday??
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

ManOnTime wrote:

TheJohnP wrote:

Great idea!!! I think Great Food Compliance definitely works, with bonus points for posting on Veggie Vednesday.

peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

I was hasty with my initial post, so I'll expand a bit...

I wouldn't describe it as disenchantment, but for me, the relative importance of the HUISABH thread has been "watered down" by the many other things I've come to enjoy about this community. I do miss the price mistake feeding frenzies though!

- WRUW - I love looking at what everyone is sporting. Because I prefer to keep my collection small and because I often wear the same watch for over 4 days, I try not to post here too frequently. I think if did, I would be (politely) asked to leave.

- LWDS - Same as above, I love seeing what everyone is wearing, but will only post occasionally if I happen to be compliant that day.

- Truth be told, it's been a while since I've seen a watch in my price range and esthetic that really executes excites me, so I'm on the prowl for the next "must to have this" watch. I'm keeping an eye on New Releases for watches from established brands and Group Funded Watches for some more eclectic and often more original offerings.

- General Discussion / Discord - to me, these serve as proof this place isn't about watches, but about people who happen to be into watches.
Last edited by peskydonut on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Dub Rubb wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:56 pm
ManOnTime wrote:

TheJohnP wrote:

Great idea!!! I think Great Food Compliance definitely works, with bonus points for posting on Veggie Vednesday.

No clue why, but I love the idea of the LWDS canon getting super complex, rich, and weird like a D&D game. "Carnivore compliance can only be activated by an even number of crowns."
Last edited by peskydonut on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

peskydonut wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:19 pmTruth be told, it's been a while since I've seen a watch in my price range and esthetic that really executes me.
Well, I for one, am really glad about that!

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

ManOnTime wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:34 pm
peskydonut wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:19 pmTruth be told, it's been a while since I've seen a watch in my price range and esthetic that really executes me.
Well, I for one, am really glad about that!
Maybe the new mortgage has something to do with that. "Nope, nothing amazing in the $7-12 range. Better keep looking."

EDIT: Oh, derp. Well now that you've quoted it, we can no longer pretend it never happen. :shock: