We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Home Workout Challenge

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Re: Home Workout Challenge

Post by BostonCharlie »

ohhenry1 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:30 pm ...
... a door frame pull up bar ...
Pull-up confession: I started out not being able to do any chin-ups or pull-ups. I have a door frame bar, and I had to start from a standing position until I could finally do one chin-up from a hanging position. Now I do pull-ups, and I think my max is four at a time. I leave it in the doorway so I will do a few once in a while. At least, I used to. I haven't done anything for at least a month. Ergo the challenge.

When I started on my bar the worst part was my hands -- the bar padding sucks, and my hands would start to hurt from just gripping the bar. Now my hands don't hurt like they used to when I'm using the bar. All I can figure is that they got stronger, and somehow that helps. Or maybe they toughened up in some way. Is this a common experience? Judging by my workout book, padded grips are unusual, and the authors discourage using gloves. But I think if my hands started hurting so that it impacted my workout, I would go for the gloves. Maybe I wouldn't need them after awhile as my hands toughen up.
ohhenry1
MoT Member

Post by ohhenry1 »

BostonCharlie wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:03 pm
Pull-up confession: I started out not being able to do any chin-ups or pull-ups. I have a door frame bar, and I had to start from a standing position until I could finally do one chin-up from a hanging position. Now I do pull-ups, and I think my max is four at a time. I leave it in the doorway so I will do a few once in a while. At least, I used to. I haven't done anything for at least a month. Ergo the challenge.
Way to overcome the initial hurdle! For most people, especially just getting started and/or overweight, doing a single pull-up can well be impossible. And that can be very discouraging. And then people give up because they feel they can't make any progress.

But the important thing to keep in mind is that it's not as binary as it sounds. There are half-steps.

To anyone who can't do a single (or enough) pull-ups for it to feel worthwhile, I would suggest looking into inverted pull-ups (AKA Australian pull-ups). This will require you to pull less weight, thereby allowing a "Goldilocks" amount of resistance. All you need is a broom handle placed atop 2 chairs to do it. Some other options might be an exercise pull-up band (a big rubber band that takes off some of the weight), or to do pull-up negatives (jump up to the bar if you can't pull yourself up, then hang on and slowly let yourself down).
BostonCharlie wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:03 pm When I started on my bar the worst part was my hands -- the bar padding sucks, and my hands would start to hurt from just gripping the bar. Now my hands don't hurt like they used to when I'm using the bar. All I can figure is that they got stronger, and somehow that helps. Or maybe they toughened up in some way. Is this a common experience? Judging by my workout book, padded grips are unusual, and the authors discourage using gloves. But I think if my hands started hurting so that it impacted my workout, I would go for the gloves. Maybe I wouldn't need them after awhile as my hands toughen up.
I think the hands do just naturally toughen up, but all the same, here are some suggestions: (1) Instead of gripping w/ thumb underneath, opposing and squeezing, rest the thumb lightly on top of the bar, next to your index finger; (2) try some chalk dust on an unpadded bar. I've never used padded grips, so can't comment on it.

Part of what's great about pull-ups is that it's a proportionate exercise: you do more not only as you get stronger, but also as you lose weight. It keeps you honest in that regard (whereas, say, with a lat pull down machine, you might actually be getting a stronger back, and justifiably feeling good about it, but you don't have a built-in mechanism to ensure against gaining bad weight).

Keep us posted!
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

BostonCharlie wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:16 am After comparison shopping online, I might have gone overboard on the bench I chose. The cheap ones worried me because of occasional reports (some with photos) of joints failing, etc. I know cheap. My bike is cheap, and it landed my ass in the street one day (in front of a car of course). I don't want to worry about that kind of thing while exercising. Elsewhere, the mid-priced benches didn't seem like a much better value, and some owners still reported problems. So I bought this Rogue flat utility bench which has very good reviews. It could take a month to arrive :roll:

OTOH, if anybody thinks I made a grave mistake, let me know and I should be able to cancel it.

On the economy side, judging by the exercises in my workout book, I should be able to go a long way with just a flat bench.

Really this is the kind of thing you want to try before you buy. I hope it is a good fit.
Rogue makes excellent products. I had their Monster Lite power cage a few years ago and that thing was a beast.

I currently share a Rogue Ohio bar along side with a Texas power bar. The cost and wait is very well worth it.

The bench you brought, even though I've never had experience with that particular bench, I can tell you that you don't want a cheap dinky bench under you when you're about to work out. It'll move and could potentially cause injuries.

I've been under a cheap one and I wouldn't even dare put anything heavy over it. Zero confidence.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Thanks everyone for the input. I bought this pull up bar this morning. It is wirecutter's recommendation, which is where I usually start with things, and was on sale for $24. I think with that it will give me some basic upper body resistance training. For cardio I am going to start with riding my bike.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Boourns wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:30 am Thanks everyone for the input. I bought this pull up bar this morning. It is wirecutter's recommendation, which is where I usually start with things, and was on sale for $24. I think with that it will give me some basic upper body resistance training. For cardio I am going to start with riding my bike.
Cool. That looks like mine. The box said Get Ripped! so I would joke: "Well, I am going to get ripped now," before doing my chin-ups.

This morning: two pull-ups, ten push-ups and a ride around the neighborhood -- getting ripped two pull-ups at a time, lol. Getting out of bed early to exercise was the hardest part.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Still at it.

I wanted front & back lights for my bike for daytime safety. I tried some from Amazon that sounded good but they sucked. I discovered that REI.com has an okay selection, some helpful reviews, good prices and lots of helpful details about the lights. Like lumens. My new Planet Bike lights have ~60 lumens each, and with their blinking they really jump out at you.

Confession: I have a couple LED bike lights from when I first biked, so 30 years ago. I loved them so much that it was kind of a shock to realize how bad they are compared to today's lights. They really should be binned.

Here is a detailed article with recommendations for the best color temperature to use in places like shops and gyms:
https://garagetransformed.com/garage-li ... mperature/
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

BostonCharlie wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:30 am
I wanted front & back lights for my bike for daytime safety. I tried some from Amazon that sounded good but they sucked. I discovered that REI.com has an okay selection, some helpful reviews, good prices and lots of helpful details about the lights. Like lumens. My new Planet Bike lights have ~60 lumens each, and with their blinking they really jump out at you.

Here is a detailed article with recommendations for the best color temperature to use in places like shops and gyms:
+1 for REI. Great products and service (I am a co-op member, so...)

One of the best things about LED lamps is the ability to apply higher color temperature and a high CRI. In my work area, I installed 4500 to 5000K lamps so that I can see stuff. :D
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

BostonCharlie wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:30 am Still at it.

Confession: I have a couple LED bike lights from when I first biked, so 30 years ago. I loved them so much that it was kind of a shock to realize how bad they are compared to today's lights. They really should be binned.

As an REI shopper myself...... you might want to consider Walmart for cycling gear basics.

Bought a new pump yesterday for $4 and even a little bag i can see my phone through that sits on the top tube for $2. Plus, a couple of tubes and tire levers (actually bought a kit, I'll attach below for $3).

Would have cost me nearly if not over $100 at REI.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

My garage gym wasn’t working out so I reorganized things so I could put my lil gym in my office. So far so good.
B680CDE9-0012-4210-9100-FA23C1D194AC.jpeg
ohhenry1
MoT Member

Post by ohhenry1 »

I was going to ask how the workout was, err, working out.

The garage gym aspect aside, how's the overall "get fit" project progressing?
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

ohhenry1 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:17 pm I was going to ask how the workout was, err, working out.

The garage gym aspect aside, how's the overall "get fit" project progressing?
Thanks for asking. And thanks for your earlier chin-up advice -- the thumb position made a big difference to the comfort of my hands.

At first I was gung-ho, riding my bike furiously through our neighborhood early each morning. But I overdid it and my knee got weird on me. Since then my bike has been idle. I will get back to it, my head just isn't in that space right now. My knee is still a little balky. I don't think I injured it. At most it needs stretching, I think.

The idea of a garage gym was fixed in my mind, but I never did it. Somehow I just couldn't get myself into the garage to exercise. Now that the equipment is right here behind me as I type, I am doing it. I am being careful to not overdo it, but I am going through my book's dumbbell section and trying the different exercises. I am really enjoying it. From my experience at the gym, I know I can stick to it, especially once it becomes part of my routine.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

Keep it up! Garage, office, spare room, wherever.

The IT band, on the outside of the upper leg, all the way down to the knee, is often the first to say, "Hey, what is this exertion crap?" Stretching and rolling out works wonders when properly executed. At least it is in my experience.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

The challenge continues. My latest equipment arrangement is working best. I have my dumbbells right next to my stand-up desk. My bench is nearby. As I work I can take quick breaks and knock out some reps (which I log). My workout schedule is very simple. I do one group per day:

Group 1 — shoulders: lateral raise, upright row, standing scarecrow, shoulder press.
Group 2 — arms: curl, lying triceps extension, close grip bench press.
Group 3 — chest: bench press, fly.

Using my big mirror helps me keep things balanced. Indeed one thing I like about the dumbbells over the machines is that left and right are working separately and on their own — no cheating.

I am still running about 2-1/2 miles each day with my dog. The bike has been neglected since she arrived. My chin-up bar is hanging in a doorway and I use it a little. My knee is finally better after regular stretching. I've been doing squats to improve its strength.

I am eating more meat to get the protein I need, but probably not enough.

The 2x4s are to keep the weights from crushing the carpet:
06C4DFD8-9FFD-4B3D-8C7F-EFCE80D928A5.jpeg