We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Nickel Allergy

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
kinglee
MoT Member

Nickel Allergy

Post by kinglee »

It seems that in the last month or so I have started showing signs of having a nickel allergy where I wear my watch on the left wrist right under the case back area. Blotchy red and itchy skin, typical signs of this allergy.

Since I'm 66 and I have worn watches for 50+ years I was surprised by this.

Anyone else develop this later in life? I considering putting some type of tape on the back of my watches or also going to some bund style bands.

Any suggestions on dealing with this?

Lee
It is easier to forgive than to dispose of a body!
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Nickel Allergy

Post by TheJohnP »

Maybe a coat of liquid bandage or clear nail polish on the caseback?
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

Irritation or allergy? The articles topic is about Apple watches but the general info by the doctor is applicable to all watches.

Clear nail polish or titanium if it is an allergy.

https://www.ibtimes.com/yes-your-apple- ... it-1909867
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Based on this article on the management of contact dermatitis caused by nickel, I wonder if a lotion-based antiperspirant would help. They're usually marketed for feet or hands, but a little dab on the wrist could help. Unsure if that would harm the watch in any way though.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3047925/

"Nickel ACD occurs when metallic items, corroded by human sweat, saliva, and other body fluids, release free nickel ions that act as haptens, inducing sensitization.21,22 This explains why nickel allergy depends on climatic factors, as sweating increases the release of nickel from nickel-plated items.23"
kinglee
MoT Member

Post by kinglee »

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m going to try using the nail polish first. Probably use white, so I can tell when it needs a recoat. Lately I’ve been applying a cortisone cream and then putting a bandaid over the irritated area. It has helped with the healing and I can wear a watch.

I do own the Steinhart titanium but it has a stainless back.

This sucks. There is no “cure” it means my body has decided it has absorbed all the nickel it will ever need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

kinglee wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:17 pm Thanks for the suggestions. I’m going to try using the nail polish first. Probably use white, so I can tell when it needs a recoat. Lately I’ve been applying a cortisone cream and then putting a bandaid over the irritated area. It has helped with the healing and I can wear a watch.

I do own the Steinhart titanium but it has a stainless back.

This sucks. There is no “cure” it means my body has decided it has absorbed all the nickel it will ever need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wear your watch on your opposite wrist for 48hrs, same as a patch test if you have no issues over the next week you don't have an allergy.

I would have a doctor do a simple patch test as it uses a smaller amount of the allergen, which will cause a smaller reaction if you are allergic.

Clean your watch before you try it on the opposite wrist, plus a break from the other side will help the healing.
kinglee
MoT Member

Post by kinglee »

The area had fully healed and the inflammation returned when I went back to wearing a watch.

I had a dermatologist appointment back in the summer. I’ll definitely have it tested on my next visit.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

This happens to me sometimes when I wear a bracelet or deployant clasp. However, I also have a history of eczema on my foot when I don’t wear socks/shoes that allow my skin to “breathe” enough, so I tried the same treatment on my wrist (steroid cream, Palmer’s cocoa butter, or other heavy-duty moisturizers) and have found it really helps. I have to apply a bit at night, not just when wearing the watch.