As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

True Confessions

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: True Confessions

Post by TheJohnP »

cel4145 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:05 pm
That will never happen unless those are the only three books in the room. I want to write a science fiction novel :D

Worked for Andy Weir.
Good luck!
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

cel4145 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:05 pm
The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:27 pm
cel4145 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:33 pm Tomorrow is my last day at the same place of employment after 13 years. I'm going to take a couple of years and write a novel. I'm in my 50s. If I'm going to write a novel, now is the time to do it.

So for the last month, I have been thinking, "Is there some watch I want to buy to commemorate this event?" Nothing has really attacked my interest of late. I have found watches I'm enthusiastic about, but nothing where I love it enough--and the deal is good enough--that I can't resist it.

Then last night, I decided instead to fund my 19-year-old son and his best friend from high school to go to the Rockville music festival next weekend: https://welcometorockvillefestival.com/lineup/. Between 3 day passes, camping pass, tent, cooler, various incidentals, and spending money, there goes my watch purchasing fund. I think they'll get more out of that experience than I would from buying another watch :D

And for anyone who was ever into metal (I was when younger), that festival looks absolutely awesome! I'm almost jealous, but I think my days of going to a metal/hard rock festivals are over. New Orleans Jazz Fest would be more my speed these days (which my brother is heading to tomorrow).
-----

Good luck.

And I hope to see your work on the shelf next to Hemingway and Fitzgerald.
That will never happen unless those are the only three books in the room. I want to write a science fiction novel :D
Then perhaps next to Ben Bova, Piers Anthony, Isaac Asimov, Carl Sagan, etc... no pressure!
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

Somehow I forgot to put on a watch today when I left for work. I can only remember this happening once in many years. Even days I'm running late I will still take the time to pick out a watch and set it. The one time I remember doing this I was only a few blocks from home when I realized it and I immediately turned around to get one making myself a little late for work that day. This time I was already on the highway.

Another: I feel WAY more strange then any sensible person should feel about forgetting to wear their watch. Embarrassingly more then most of you would likely feel. Like its really bothering me.

Next confession: I have a work reason to be out from work and I plan to stop home and get a watch even though by the time I do get one the work day will almost be over.

Another confession: I had to google how to spell immediately. I was off by one letter in my spelling of it.

And another: My favorite color is green and I have had many green watches over the years. I now have two that I feel are the best green watches I have ever owned and I am very happy with them however I still ordered another green watch last night.

Why not another while I'm at it: Late last year I had drastically cut down the amount of watches I owned and I was very happy that I was down to using only two thirds of one box. I have since refilled the box and technically have some overflow. I'm fighting the urge to start another box again.
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

I just now looked at my wrist to check the time.
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

mplsabdullah wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:06 am I just now looked at my wrist to check the time.
--------

And what time was it?
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:35 am
mplsabdullah wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:06 am I just now looked at my wrist to check the time.
--------

And what time was it?
See my confession just before this one.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:35 am
--------

And what time was it?

A hair past who knows? :D
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

mplsabdullah wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:59 am Somehow I forgot to put on a watch today when I left for work. I can only remember this happening once in many years. Even days I'm running late I will still take the time to pick out a watch and set it. The one time I remember doing this I was only a few blocks from home when I realized it and I immediately turned around to get one making myself a little late for work that day. This time I was already on the highway.
This is making me think I need to keep a relatively versatile and inexpensive watch in the glove compartment.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

yinzburgher wrote:
mplsabdullah wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:59 am Somehow I forgot to put on a watch today when I left for work. I can only remember this happening once in many years. Even days I'm running late I will still take the time to pick out a watch and set it. The one time I remember doing this I was only a few blocks from home when I realized it and I immediately turned around to get one making myself a little late for work that day. This time I was already on the highway.
This is making me think I need to keep a relatively versatile and inexpensive watch in the glove compartment.
I'm thinking the same. It's really driving me nuts. Lol

cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Another: I feel WAY more strange then any sensible person should feel about forgetting to wear their watch. Embarrassingly more then most of you would likely feel. Like its really bothering me.

Next confession: I have a work reason to be out from work and I plan to stop home and get a watch even though by the time I do get one the work day will almost be over.

Another confession: I had to google how to spell immediately. I was off by one letter in my spelling of it.

And another: My favorite color is green and I have had many green watches over the years. I now have two that I feel are the best green watches I have ever owned and I am very happy with them however I still ordered another green watch last night.

Why not another while I'm at it: Late last year I had drastically cut down the amount of watches I owned and I was very happy that I was down to using only two thirds of one box. I have since refilled the box and technically have some overflow. I'm fighting the urge to start another box again.
That is no fun.

Solution: Buy an extra Casio. Keep it in the car. That's what I do. Can't be having a watch emergency like that. What if the battery went dead on a quartz during work? Quick trip to the car and problem solved. :)

Edit. I see that yinzburgher beat me to the suggestion. I will say this. All of the different ways that we might try to justify an additional watch purpose, here is one that satisfies a real need.
WhaleTail
MoT Member

Post by WhaleTail »

Having a lazy gene, I used my tooth to tighten the clasp on this Oris ( leaving some pitting marks and chipping my tooth in the process).[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201904 ... 482db9.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aka: Watchout on WUS.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

WhaleTail wrote:Having a lazy gene, I used my tooth to tighten the clasp on this Oris ( leaving some pitting marks and chipping my tooth in the process).[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201904 ... 482db9.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OMG my wife would have a heart attack. She’s a hygienist.

@robotazky
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

Feel much better now
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201904 ... f94fdc.jpg[/IMG]

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

mplsabdullah wrote:Somehow I forgot to put on a watch today when I left for work. I can only remember this happening once in many years. Even days I'm running late I will still take the time to pick out a watch and set it. The one time I remember doing this I was only a few blocks from home when I realized it and I immediately turned around to get one making myself a little late for work that day. This time I was already on the highway.

Don't worry, you are not alone in feeling super weird without a watch on. Nothing like that feeling when you look down and see the contrast between the most tan and most pale parts of your body! It amazed me how many times I checked my wrist throughout the day even after I discovered I didn't have a watch on. It never really set in.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Off Topic: Thinking about the best backup watch to leave in a car, I'm thinking quartz but not solar.

I'm thinking a refurbished Bertucci, even C-grade. There isn't much selection at the moment (here), but there are a few B-grade black poly models for $29 + S&H, 40mm per their size guide here.

[img]http://www.bertucciwatches.com/Bertucci ... 1016CB.jpg[/img]

Sierra does have a green dial 42mm poly Bertucci model for $39 here (sign up for emails to get free shipping).

[img]https://i.stpost.com/bertucci-a3p-sport ... ~460.2.jpg[/img]

The other brand that comes to mind is Momentum. Huckberry has some 44mm on sale for $70 here, and RetailMeNot has some coupon codes that are worth trying (here) -- I have mixed luck with their codes.

[img]https://huckberry.imgix.net/spree/produ ... =400&h=400[/img][img]https://huckberry.imgix.net/spree/produ ... =400&h=400[/img][img]https://huckberry.imgix.net/spree/produ ... =400&h=400[/img]

Of course there's the 37mm automatic Seiko SNK805, currently $68 w/ mfg. warranty from Amazon here.

[img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SS320_.jpg[/img]

If you had a watch roll with active cooling you could start a collection just for your car ;-)