As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

True Confessions

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Re: True Confessions

Post by Split-Time »

Dub Rubb wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:42 pm
cel4145 wrote:
Split-Time wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:27 pm My true confession is that I have five watches right now in my office. I normally wear a long sleeve shirt and when I get to work I move my fitness watch to my right arm and pick a real watch to wear on my left arm. For some reason this is more enjoyable to me than picking one at home during the work week.

I will be in a pickle when the weather warms up and I am wearing more short sleeves [emoji38]
Put the fitness tracker on your ankle :D
This technique also leaves you with a use for all those diver extentions. Ankle watches yo!!!!!!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
Well...I seem to have this collection of NATOs that I’m not using :D
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Split-Time wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:24 pm
cel4145 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:11 pm
Split-Time wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:27 pm My true confession is that I have five watches right now in my office. I normally wear a long sleeve shirt and when I get to work I move my fitness watch to my right arm and pick a real watch to wear on my left arm. For some reason this is more enjoyable to me than picking one at home during the work week.

I will be in a pickle when the weather warms up and I am wearing more short sleeves :lol:
Sadly, I may see how that works 8-)
How many fitness tracking features do you need?

The Motiv fitness tracking ring might work out well for you: https://mymotiv.com/
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

cel4145 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:39 pm
cel4145 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:11 pm

The Motiv fitness tracking ring might work out well for you: https://mymotiv.com/
Wow. That looks promising! Thank you for the suggestion.

I purchased a Garmin Forerunner 235 last November specifically for running. Told myself that I would only wear it while running and training but I have ended up wearing it all of the time. Most of the time I am just using it for steps, HR and sleep...all of which the Motiv would do. I really like the Garmin Connect app and how easy it is to use.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Split-Time wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:35 am
cel4145 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:39 pm

Wow. That looks promising! Thank you for the suggestion.

I purchased a Garmin Forerunner 235 last November specifically for running. Told myself that I would only wear it while running and training but I have ended up wearing it all of the time. Most of the time I am just using it for steps, HR and sleep...all of which the Motiv would do. I really like the Garmin Connect app and how easy it is to use.
I got the Motiv for my teenage son last year for his birthday. He liked it, although it was his first fitness tracker and had nothing else to compare it to. I would doubt that the software is as good as Garmins. It has been out long enough that you ought to be able to find detailed reviews of it.

One thing to know is that when you first place your order, then send you a case of a half dozen or so plastic rings so you can figure out the exact size you need. And they encourage you to wear the plastic ring for a day or so to be sure. Then you tell them which was the best, and they send the Motiv.
NapoleonDynamite
MoT Member

Post by NapoleonDynamite »

I murdered 2 people.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

NapoleonDynamite wrote:I murdered 2 people.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201904 ... fb0a1a.jpg[/IMG]

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I didn't think it would happen to me, but the more watches I own, the more I want to buy.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

BostonCharlie wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:31 pm I didn't think it would happen to me, but the more watches I own, the more I want to buy.
Any idea how it happened? Is there something that is pushing you in that direction now or was suppressing that urge previously? Could it have anything to do with forums? The other day on my drive I was thinking about typing up a post called "In defense of a large collection." Earlier that day I had been looking at and trying on a lot of my watches and I was just incredibly happy with them. I had the thought that I didn't want to ever get rid of any of them. They all looked so cool and unique and the fact that I owned all of them was a reminder that of how fortunate I am. And this wasn't just some isolated moment. I've thought and felt the same things many times before. Then occasionally (much less often) I look at all of them and all I can think about is the dysfunction that must be present in my brain to have bought so many of these similar objects that I don't really need and then obsess about them. The impracticality is glaring. I go from thinking how fortunate I am to have all these items to becoming jealous of those people that have only 1 or 2 or 3 watches.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

yinzburgher wrote:
BostonCharlie wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:31 pm I didn't think it would happen to me, but the more watches I own, the more I want to buy.
Any idea how it happened? Is there something that is pushing you in that direction now or was suppressing that urge previously? Could it have anything to do with forums? The other day on my drive I was thinking about typing up a post called "In defense of a large collection." Earlier that day I had been looking at and trying on a lot of my watches and I was just incredibly happy with them. I had the thought that I didn't want to ever get rid of any of them. They all looked so cool and unique and the fact that I owned all of them was a reminder that of how fortunate I am. And this wasn't just some isolated moment. I've thought and felt the same things many times before. Then occasionally (much less often) I look at all of them and all I can think about is the dysfunction that must be present in my brain to have bought so many of these similar objects that I don't really need and then obsess about them. The impracticality is glaring. I go from thinking how fortunate I am to have all these items to becoming jealous of those people that have only 1 or 2 or 3 watches.
I just consider it a service to the community. Do you know how boring the WRUW thread would be if we all had just 1 or 2 watches?!? Yeah, that's the ticket. It has nothing to do with A borderline obsession, it's for the greater good. The greater good!

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Dub Rubb wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:24 am
yinzburgher wrote:
I just consider it a service to the community. Do you know how boring the WRUW thread would be if we all had just 1 or 2 watches?!? Yeah, that's the ticket. It has nothing to do with A borderline obsession, it's for the greater good. The greater good!

:lol: Of course, very true...all for the betterment of the community. And to ensure maximal happiness, we must not only enable the obsessives, we must think of new ways to enable the enablers!
WhaleTail
MoT Member

True Confessions

Post by WhaleTail »

Naaah .... we are perfect in our lust for the bargain, I have been justifying my purchases by convincing myself that I can sell a bargain watch used for more than what I paid for it brand new. ( hahaha).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aka: Watchout on WUS.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Tomorrow is my last day at the same place of employment after 13 years. I'm going to take a couple of years and write a novel. I'm in my 50s. If I'm going to write a novel, now is the time to do it.

So for the last month, I have been thinking, "Is there some watch I want to buy to commemorate this event?" Nothing has really attacked my interest of late. I have found watches I'm enthusiastic about, but nothing where I love it enough--and the deal is good enough--that I can't resist it.

Then last night, I decided instead to fund my 19-year-old son and his best friend from high school to go to the Rockville music festival next weekend: https://welcometorockvillefestival.com/lineup/. Between 3 day passes, camping pass, tent, cooler, various incidentals, and spending money, there goes my watch purchasing fund. I think they'll get more out of that experience than I would from buying another watch :D

And for anyone who was ever into metal (I was when younger), that festival looks absolutely awesome! I'm almost jealous, but I think my days of going to a metal/hard rock festivals are over. New Orleans Jazz Fest would be more my speed these days (which my brother is heading to tomorrow).
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

cel4145 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:33 pm Tomorrow is my last day at the same place of employment after 13 years. I'm going to take a couple of years and write a novel. I'm in my 50s. If I'm going to write a novel, now is the time to do it.

So for the last month, I have been thinking, "Is there some watch I want to buy to commemorate this event?" Nothing has really attacked my interest of late. I have found watches I'm enthusiastic about, but nothing where I love it enough--and the deal is good enough--that I can't resist it.

Then last night, I decided instead to fund my 19-year-old son and his best friend from high school to go to the Rockville music festival next weekend: https://welcometorockvillefestival.com/lineup/. Between 3 day passes, camping pass, tent, cooler, various incidentals, and spending money, there goes my watch purchasing fund. I think they'll get more out of that experience than I would from buying another watch :D

And for anyone who was ever into metal (I was when younger), that festival looks absolutely awesome! I'm almost jealous, but I think my days of going to a metal/hard rock festivals are over. New Orleans Jazz Fest would be more my speed these days (which my brother is heading to tomorrow).
First of all, congratulations on reaching this milestone and deciding to write a novel...that is by itself pretty amazing. Second, how great to give your son and his friend such a memorable experience...I’m sure you’ll hear maybe 1/3 of the stories from the event that he will carry forward with a wry smile. Also, we used to go to the N.O. jazz fest to the blues tent every year and it was really something. Its the only place I have every put a gouge in a sapphire crystal. 8-)
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

cel4145 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:33 pm Tomorrow is my last day at the same place of employment after 13 years. I'm going to take a couple of years and write a novel. I'm in my 50s. If I'm going to write a novel, now is the time to do it.

-----

Good luck.

And I hope to see your work on the shelf next to Hemingway and Fitzgerald.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:27 pm

-----

Good luck.

And I hope to see your work on the shelf next to Hemingway and Fitzgerald.
That will never happen unless those are the only three books in the room. I want to write a science fiction novel :D