True Confessions

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: True Confessions

Post by MoT »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:16 am I know I'm in the smallest of minorities, but I just don't get a practical reason to have a diving/countdown bezel on a watch if you don't dive.
I've read in various forum threads about using them to time cooking and such, but for me that's what a minute hand does anyway.
If I need to bake something for 45 minutes and it's 5:40, I'll take it out at 6:25. Why do I need a bezel for that?

If the argument is that it is aesthetically pleasing from a visual standpoint or people really like the tactile nature of feeling the bezel spin when they turn it, that makes more sense.

I just don't think I'll ever truly understand the "tool" aspect to tool watches.
But one less type for me to want to buy, so that's a win.
For those of us with more robust wrists, the bezel adds visual heft without dramatically increasing the overall size of the watch (what's a couple mm between friends?).

Also, for me, the bezel adds a fidget factor. I liken spinning it to clicking a pen, tapping a pencil, etc.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

A REALtrue confession.
I confess that I am afraid that I may soon have to sell a bunch of watches just to keep my life running smoothly.

I am moving in with my lady on Saturday, which means rent is increasing by approximately $850/mo. (No we are not living lavish, it is <900 sq. ft 2 bed 1 bath). She doesn't make much, so I will be covering the increase. She will contribute what she has been paying for rent, and I will cover the extra.

I just can't help but feel stressed about the situation. I have never had to worry about rent $ as I live well below my means and was able to accumulate 40 or so watches in the last 18 months or so (and buy her an engagement ring!). Where does this leave me in this hobby, not having excessive disposable income? I am so used to impulse purchases being no big deal. I guess this is just part of getting married. . .

[emoji31][emoji27][emoji32]

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Dub Rubb wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:57 pm A REALtrue confession.
I confess that I am afraid that I may soon have to sell a bunch of watches just to keep my life running smoothly.

I am moving in with my lady on Saturday, which means rent is increasing by approximately $850/mo. (No we are not living lavish, it is <900 sq. ft 2 bed 1 bath). She doesn't make much, so I will be covering the increase. She will contribute what she has been paying for rent, and I will cover the extra.

I just can't help but feel stressed about the situation. I have never had to worry about rent $ as I live well below my means and was able to accumulate 40 or so watches in the last 18 months or so (and buy her an engagement ring!). Where does this leave me in this hobby, not having excessive disposable income? I am so used to impulse purchases being no big deal. I guess this is just part of getting married. . .

Oh man! You are wise to think about it this way vs just continuing the impulse buying while sinking into debt. Time to convert those “impulse purchases” into “impulse advances” on your wife...suggesting spontaneous sex everywhere. Keeps her feeling desired and if you’re convincing helps get rid of that stress. :D
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

FTE wrote:

Oh man! You are wise to think about it this way vs just continuing the impulse buying while sinking into debt. Time to convert those “impulse purchases” into “impulse advances” on your wife...suggesting spontaneous sex everywhere. Keeps her feeling desired and if you’re convincing helps get rid of that stress. :D
This is best suggestions I have heard! Better than any of that "put 5 watches away in a closet for a month and see if you still miss them" dribble that WPAC has going on. Time to repurpose my impulses! My man. . .

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Dub Rubb wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:52 pm
FTE wrote:

This is best suggestions I have heard! Better than any of that "put 5 watches away in a closet for a month and see if you still miss them" dribble that WPAC has going on. Time to repurpose my impulses! My man. . .

Careful, those impulses often lead to offspring, which are way more expensive than a watch hobby.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

ManOnTime wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:52 pm
FTE wrote:

Careful, those impulses often lead to offspring, which are way more expensive than a watch hobby.
VERY good point. However, we both do our part to make sure that we will have a kid when we want one. Let's just say she takes the pill and I don't cross the finish line in the winners circle. Extra cautious for the last 4 years! However, a famous dinosaur documentary once taught me. . .
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201902 ... 86871a.jpg[/IMG]

cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Don't sell any watches right away though. Wait until you guys are moved in together so she is very aware of how large your collection currently is and then you get credit for decreasing the size after you sell some. Plus, then your smaller collection will seem "small" relative to what you started with.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I'm often away from home for months at a time. Most of my collection is at home and I travel with a sub-collection in two small rolls that include some of my favorite and more versatile watches. But I have, by far, many more watches at my house. I have no idea how many watches I have there but it's too many and quite honestly I often forget which watches I still own. Also, when I see a deal that is just too good to pass up, I often buy it and have it delivered to my parents house bc it's not always easy to get packages where I am. So I typically have a third sub-collection of watches at my parents' place that are new and unopened. When I get back to their area to visit, I typically wait until everybody has gone to bed that first night and I bust out the Kershaw, start slicing boxes open, and have a one-man WIS Christmas, ogling and fondling watches that I bought myself weeks or months ago. I do occasionally flip watches, but I probably buy 3-4 watches for every one that I sell. It is really an untenable situation......and yet I carry on.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

yinzburgher wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:13 am I'm often away from home for months at a time. Most of my collection is at home and I travel with a sub-collection in two small rolls that include some of my favorite and more versatile watches. But I have, by far, many more watches at my house. I have no idea how many watches I have there but it's too many and quite honestly I often forget which watches I still own. Also, when I see a deal that is just too good to pass up, I often buy it and have it delivered to my parents house bc it's not always easy to get packages where I am. So I typically have a third sub-collection of watches at my parents' place that are new and unopened. When I get back to their area to visit, I typically wait until everybody has gone to bed that first night and I bust out the Kershaw, start slicing boxes open, and have a one-man WIS Christmas, ogling and fondling watches that I bought myself weeks or months ago. I do occasionally flip watches, but I probably buy 3-4 watches for every one that I sell. It is really an untenable situation......and yet I carry on.

How often have you found yourself buying a watch that you've later discovered you've already owned?

I've done that with movies and music on occassion.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

yinzburgher wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:13 am I'm often away from home for months at a time. Most of my collection is at home and I travel with a sub-collection in two small rolls that include some of my favorite and more versatile watches. But I have, by far, many more watches at my house. I have no idea how many watches I have there but it's too many and quite honestly I often forget which watches I still own. Also, when I see a deal that is just too good to pass up, I often buy it and have it delivered to my parents house bc it's not always easy to get packages where I am. So I typically have a third sub-collection of watches at my parents' place that are new and unopened. When I get back to their area to visit, I typically wait until everybody has gone to bed that first night and I bust out the Kershaw, start slicing boxes open, and have a one-man WIS Christmas, ogling and fondling watches that I bought myself weeks or months ago. I do occasionally flip watches, but I probably buy 3-4 watches for every one that I sell. It is really an untenable situation......and yet I carry on.
OMG, this is me. Had no idea others lived like this, too.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

TheJohnP wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:42 am

How often have you found yourself buying a watch that you've later discovered you've already owned?

I too have boxes of CDs that are duplicates. On at least one occasion I bought 3 copies of the same mystery novel.

When you're crazy, you're crazy!
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

TheJohnP wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:42 am

As far as I know, the only time I have done that it was on purpose. But there have been times when I couldn't remember whether I had already sold a watch and therefore didn't know if I still owned it. Also, if at any given time I had to rattle off every watch in my collection I probably wouldn't even come close because it's often been so long since I've seen some of them.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

FTE wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:58 pm
I'd like to say something like "great minds think alike" but it's probably something more pathological at work in us. More of a bug than a feature. :?
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

yinzburgher wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:44 am
FTE wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:58 pm
I'd like to say something like "great minds think alike" but it's probably something more pathological at work in us. More of a bug than a feature. :?
Bugs, features...its all the same once you get married and you just have to accept the person for who they are (Dubb rubb you listening?!)... 8-)
Click Icon To Contact Me

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

FTE wrote:
Bugs, features...its all the same once you get married and you just have to accept the person for who they are (Dubb rubb you listening?!)... 8-)
I am always listening! And I love the idea of Yinzburgher having a mini WIS Christmas when he gets home, it's always nice to have something to look forward too. I remember when I had two watches delivered on the same day, and it was awesome!!