We're Moving!

Click for more info.

True Confessions

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
cel4145
MoT Member

Re: True Confessions

Post by cel4145 »

FTE wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:55 am
yinzburgher wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:44 am
FTE wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:58 pm

OMG, this is me. Had no idea others lived like this, too.
I'd like to say something like "great minds think alike" but it's probably something more pathological at work in us. More of a bug than a feature. :?
Bugs, features...its all the same once you get married and you just have to accept the person for who they are (Dubb rubb you listening?!)... 8-)
I think you got it backwards there. Supposed to figure out if you can accept the other person for who they are before you get married. :)
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

cel4145 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:44 am
I'd like to say something like "great minds think alike" but it's probably something more pathological at work in us. More of a bug than a feature. :?
Bugs, features...its all the same once you get married and you just have to accept the person for who they are (Dubb rubb you listening?!)... 8-)
I think you got it backwards there. Supposed to figure out if you can accept the other person for who they are before you get married. :)
Uh huh. :twisted:
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

cel4145 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:44 am
-------

First accept yourself for the nutcase you* are--then proceed from there.

*"you" = all of us!
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Not really a confession, just some venting. So some of you know how my life has been going. Not bad, just a lot of change and a couple bad things happening ($500 + speeding ticket paid the same day my TV craps out).

Fast forward to today, my new TV arrived! So exciting. While wearing my STO turtle, (this is irrelevant, but hey, watch forum ya know)I get the TV all assembled and go to put it in place, but wait, this TV is too big for the entertainment center I have! Dammit. Grab the tape measure and search the house for suitable furniture. Nothing. But hey! There is a pile of 2X4s out back, surely I can make something work. Even if it is tacky and the woman is going to HATE that I am simply laying 2X4s on top of the entertainment center, so what. It is only temporary.

I go out back and find a couple of nice pressure treated redwood 2X4s and cut them to length. You are brilliant Dub Rubb, back to video games and TV you go you resourceful mofo. Leaving the woodpile in the dusk and then BAM!!

Rusty nail through the shoe and into the foot. Eff me. Oh well, it doesn't really hurt and you had a tetanus shot like 7 years ago. Or was it 12? 15?!? Eff me.

After some searching for medical records to no avail and looking up the effects of tetanus (why?!?) I finally find out that Walgreens offers tetanus shots for like $60. 2 hours of agonizing over what to do for nothing. Oh well, at least the TV works!

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 6a829f.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

I think I'm a candidate for King of the Dumbos Award. I keeping posting watch deals without looking at what page I was last on. As a result, my deals get posted on the wrong threads, and when I realize it, I have to scramble to delete them.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Dub Rubb wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:01 pmEven if it is tacky and the woman is going to HATE that I am simply laying 2X4s on top of the entertainment center, so what. It is only temporary.
If you don't have anything in the works, I suggest this:
stand.JPG
I bought this one when we got our new TV. Ran into the same issue as you, the legs of the TV are far too wide for the stand it sits on. The height adjustment and swivel are great to have.

Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

My dumbo move of the day:

Today was the turn in the rotation--after several months--for my Alpha chronograph. I put it on my wrist, which I shook for a while to get the engine going. Later when I checked the time, I noticed that the watch had stopped. So I repeated the process, figuring that I hadn't shaken it enough before or moved around enough during a couch potato Saturday. Still later, when I checked the time again, the watch was stopped. Chagrined, I took the watch off to examine it, looked at the back of the case, and read "Mechanical."

I had totally forgotten that it wasn't an automatic and needed to be wound.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:34 pm
I had totally forgotten that it wasn't an automatic and needed to be wound.

I had an opposite but similar experience.
One of my first vintage watches was an old 50's era Elgin.

Not sure if it had come from the ebay description where I bought it, but in my head it was mechanical. so I wound it every time I wore it. It wasn't until years later that i was curious about the movement and discovered it was an auto. D'oh.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

I confess that I feel bad for the unenlightened souls of the WUS HUISABH. If only they would have read between the lines! Here are the last 2 posts there. Not bad deals, but we all know you can pick up a sub $300 samurai. Hell, a $250 samurai isn't out of the realm of possibility(ask me how I know!). I want to spread the word to these poor guys, but sadly not enough to risk banishment (I am waiting on my BSH gilt dial and a successful member of WPAC19). It just saddens me that WUS wont let these two places coexist. They didn't want to have to moderate such a busy topic, so MOT stepped up to the plate. Almost all of us(sorry androidisawesome) frequent both places. I guess I just really wish the relationship could be symbiotic

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... bd2e1d.jpg[/IMG]
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I grew up watching Tom Selleck as Magnum P.I. His character still lurks in the recesses of my mind as a role model of sorts, and to me his watch (a Rolex GMT-Master Pepsi) is the watch.

[img]https://timeandtidewatches.com/wp-conte ... 45x475.jpg[/img]
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

BostonCharlie wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:44 pm I grew up watching Tom Selleck as Magnum P.I. His character still lurks in the recesses of my mind as a role model of sorts, and to me his watch (a Rolex GMT-Master Pepsi) is the watch.

Higgins! And the dogs! I used to watch that show daily...the 308 is my grail car.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
USMChawk
MoT Member

Post by USMChawk »

FTE wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:18 am
BostonCharlie wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:44 pm I grew up watching Tom Selleck as Magnum P.I. His character still lurks in the recesses of my mind as a role model of sorts, and to me his watch (a Rolex GMT-Master Pepsi) is the watch.

Higgins! And the dogs! I used to watch that show daily...the 308 is my grail car.
I could have purchased a 308, in 2002, for around $24k; it was disappointing in person.
Last edited by USMChawk on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

USMChawk wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:40 pm
FTE wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:18 am

I could of bought a 308, in 2002, for around $24k; it was disappointing in person.
Never meet your heroes.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

ManOnTime wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:03 pm Never meet your heroes.
So true. It will almost always disappoint. Just curious, is there a Tom Selleck story here?
Click Icon To Contact Me

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

FTE wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:23 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:03 pm Never meet your heroes.
So true. It will almost always disappoint. Just curious, is there a Tom Selleck story here?
No Tom Selleck story, but as an avid car guy I know that a lot of 80s supercars are better left in the realm of fantasy.

Heck, pretty much any modern mom-mobile minivan can out gun and out hustle a 308. 😑

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT