As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

True Confessions

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: True Confessions

Post by watchpalooza »

Dub Rubb wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:09 am Confession: Everytime I watch a modern James Bond movie (tonight included) I feel the need to own one of the special edition 007 seamasters. Man do I love Omegas and 007. One of these days. I am planning on selling a good chunk of my watches and I think they may go towards a 007 themed watch. I mean, honestly, how freaking cool is this movement?!?
Like this:

[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/03/24/VbQSjT.jpg[/img]
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

FTE wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:09 am Confession: Everytime I watch a modern James Bond movie (tonight included) I feel the need to own one of the special edition 007 seamasters. Man do I love Omegas and 007. One of these days. I am planning on selling a good chunk of my watches and I think they may go towards a 007 themed watch. I mean, honestly, how freaking cool is this movement?!?
Like this:

[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/03/24/VbQSjT.jpg[/img]
If only I had all the money. . . I like the mockup though!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Rocat
MoT Member

Post by Rocat »

I confess that every time I watch a certain video off of Youtube that has "Hitler banned from Watchuseek" I laugh....a lot.
God, I've been waiting years to post that but I didn't dare post it over there.

I'm not posting the video link but it is easy to find. It was all over the different watch forums long ago.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Rocat wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:32 pm I confess that every time I watch a certain video off of Youtube that has "Hitler banned from Watchuseek" I laugh....a lot.

I'm not posting the video link but it is easy to find. It was all over the different watch forums long ago.
I understand why you didn't link directly to it -- I almost bust my gut laughing. I don't remember when I've laughed so hard. Watch at your own risk.
USMChawk
MoT Member

Post by USMChawk »

I was hoping for an explanation or reversal of my WUS PM issue but no luck. Below is my conversation with a moderator who was at least polite about it.

MAR 30, 2019 | 12:25AM EDT
Yung L. replied:
Hi there,

I spoke to the mods/admins on the site. Our decision to remove your access to PM will not be removed.

MAR 28, 2019 | 08:41PM EDT
Yung L. replied:
I've sent a PM to the Admin. Once I hear back from him, I'll get back to you.

MAR 27, 2019 | 01:30PM EDT
The Most Visited Watch Forum Site ... In The World. replied:
So the solution to my PM issues is to send him a PM? Hopefully you see the futility in that recommended course of action.

MAR 27, 2019 | 01:18PM EDT
Yung L. replied:
You can send him a PM on the site. That's the only contact info we have.

MAR 26, 2019 | 10:14PM EDT
What’s his contact info?

Craig

MAR 26, 2019 | 10:06PM EDT
Yung L. replied:
Hi there,

You are correct. Your permissions were changed by our Admin. You should speak with him directly to see when this will be removed or if it is a permanent change to your account.

MAR 24, 2019 | 02:17PM EDT
Yung,

No, it’s a permissions issue that I suspect was changed by CMSgt Bo. I was against the way he handled the affiliates link issue, back in Nov/Dec, and am sure I got swept up in his purge. Please note that I was never issued a warning or suspension as my comments were within WUS guidelines. This seems to be a personal vendetta of an offended moderator. At this point you can just delete my account as I don’t appear to have the permissions to even do that.

His handling of that issue is directly responsible for the creation of another forum and the exodus of a lot of good posters. Whoever owns WUS may want to review the entire situation as I doubt loss of ad revenue is his/her/their goal.

MAR 23, 2019 | 10:28PM EDT
Yung L. replied:
Hi there,

Are you getting an error message when you try to PM another user?

MAR 14, 2019 | 04:57PM EDT
Original message
The Most Visited Watch Forum Site ... In The World. wrote:

The following message was sent to you via the Watchuseek, The Most Visited Watch Forum Site ... In The World. Contact Us form by xxxxxx ( mailto:xxxxxxxx@xxx.com ).

--------------------------------

Unable to PM other users.

Referring Page:
IP Address: xxxx
User Name: xxxxxx
User ID: 137360
Email: xxxxxxxx@xxx.com
This message was sent to xxxxxxx@xxx.com in reference to Case #: 3633902.
USMChawk
MoT Member

Post by USMChawk »

Rocat wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:32 pm I confess that every time I watch a certain video off of Youtube that has "Hitler banned from Watchuseek" I laugh....a lot.

Classic.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

BostonCharlie wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:53 pm

I understand why you didn't link directly to it -- I almost bust my gut laughing. I don't remember when I've laughed so hard. Watch at your own risk.
Why can't we post that over there for April Fools Day? :lol:
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

USMChawk wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:09 pm I was hoping for an explanation or reversal of my WUS PM issue but no luck. Below is my conversation with a moderator who was at least polite about it.

Yung L. replied:
Hi there,

I spoke to the mods/admins on the site. Our decision to remove your access to PM will not be removed.

Yung L. replied:

So the solution to my PM issues is to send him a PM? Hopefully you see the futility in that recommended course of action.

Yung L. replied:

What’s his contact info?

Craig

Yung L. replied:
Hi there,

You are correct. Your permissions were changed by our Admin. You should speak with him directly to see when this will be removed or if it is a permanent change to your account.

Yung,

No, it’s a permissions issue that I suspect was changed by CMSgt Bo. I was against the way he handled the affiliates link issue, back in Nov/Dec, and am sure I got swept up in his purge. Please note that I was never issued a warning or suspension as my comments were within WUS guidelines. This seems to be a personal vendetta of an offended moderator. At this point you can just delete my account as I don’t appear to have the permissions to even do that.

His handling of that issue is directly responsible for the creation of another forum and the exodus of a lot of good posters. Whoever owns WUS may want to review the entire situation as I doubt loss of ad revenue is his/her/their goal.

Yung L. replied:
Hi there,

Original message

The following message was sent to you via the Watchuseek, The Most Visited Watch Forum Site ... In The World. Contact Us form by xxxxxx ( mailto:xxxxxxxx@xxx.com ).

Referring Page:

Sounds like a case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing.

I'd never be presumptuous enough to suggest how another site should be run, but it seems like not having alternative contact methods for admins isn't very smart.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

ManOnTime wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:41 pm
USMChawk wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:09 pm I was hoping for an explanation or reversal of my WUS PM issue but no luck. Below is my conversation with a moderator who was at least polite about it.

Yung L. replied:
Hi there,

Yung L. replied:

Yung L. replied:

What’s his contact info?

Craig

Yung L. replied:
Hi there,

Yung,

Yung L. replied:
Hi there,

Original message

Referring Page:

Sounds like a case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing.

I'd never be presumptuous enough to suggest how another site should be run, but it seems like not having alternative contact methods for admins isn't very smart.
Remember, they do have the support forum on the website. And when I posted to it about the PM thing, first they ignored me. Then when I bumped it with a post and mentioned it here, they deleted it.

I think it's in part more of their status quo passive-aggressive behavior: we are (supposedly) welcome to remain forum members and post in the forum, but not worthy of notification of why and how long the lack of PM access will last.

And then the other part is, I suspect that they don't want to admit in writing that they are reading PMs.
USMChawk
MoT Member

Post by USMChawk »

Thing is, I never posted for anyone to join MoT, and I never PM’d anyone that either. My crime was being critical of CMSgt Bo but that was long before my PM permissions were denied. Based on the timing, I suspect they were revoked for things posted here, not there.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

USMChawk wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:11 pm Thing is, I never posted for anyone to join MoT, and I never PM’d anyone that either. My crime was being critical of CMSgt Bo but that was long before my PM permissions were denied. Based on the timing, I suspect they were revoked for things posted here, not there.
It is my belief that they are revoking access based on membership or postings here. They have clearly adopted a policy of containment to prevent further attrition. Classic warfare, cut off the enemy's lines of communication (or in this case supply lines...of new potential members). What is telltale is how quickly they have been to label us a threat and contain it. Zero interest in enriching the community, supporting members' projects or any type of peaceful coexistance. It is pure cutthroat business.

By restricting users who have not violated any rules they are indicating that they see the potential damage from even the risk of you contacting people to recruit for this site as higher than the value you may add as a contributor. They fall short of deleting any accounts to protect their SEO.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Rocat
MoT Member

Post by Rocat »

cel4145 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:11 pm

You go right ahead. I still like that site and the different sub forums. lol
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Rocat wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:41 am
cel4145 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:11 pm

You go right ahead. I still like that site and the different sub forums. lol

Me too.

It's some of the staff and their practices I don't care for.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

The reality is: going on talking about it here does nothing but cement division that already exists for some of us, and promote it where it doesn't already exist for some of us. I personally think that members should have been messaged about behavior instead of banned, but that's not how WUS felt about it. I can't imagine how anyone with access to their accounts at WUS would want to further risk problems, unless you just don't care. And that may be what WUS is interpreting. If they think you don't care, it's probably insulting, based on the responses.

I have argued plenty with a couple of mods at WUS, but both were from the days when Ernie was the owner and I respect Ernie. For that reason, I learned early on to play the game as it's designed or go play on another field. I think some of the members here are just going through that reasoning process and hopefully WUS will recognize that and let people come back at some point.

Ernie created a great forum. It's arguably the best watch forum as far as content and participation goes. I tend to side with the spirit of the watch community and let personal stuff slide off. If you have a beef with the mods at WUS, focus on the community and let it go. It doesn't help anyone.

Didn't I say I was done with this conversation? I can't remember. Anyway... ;)
WhaleTail
MoT Member

Post by WhaleTail »

I am still upset over the 40% off brand new ( authorized dealer) Grand Seiko that happened around the new year, I had my eye on the SBGE005 ( spring drive, power reserve indicator, GMT) for less than 3K, they had 2 in stock, my call from overseas ( vacation in Costa Rica) was dropped and the rest is history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aka: Watchout on WUS.