We're Moving!

Click for more info.

True Confessions

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: True Confessions

Post by watchpalooza »

ManOnTime wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:54 pm
FTE wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:23 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:03 pm Never meet your heroes.
So true. It will almost always disappoint. Just curious, is there a Tom Selleck story here?
No Tom Selleck story, but as an avid car guy I know that a lot of 80s supercars are better left in the realm of fantasy.

Heck, pretty much any modern mom-mobile minivan can out gun and out hustle a 308. 😑
Yeah, unfortunately pretty often doesn‘t equal smart. Did you know that for Magnum PI they bought a new 308 at the start of each of the 8 seasons and then auctioned them off at the end of the season? The eighties...
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

FTE wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:52 pm
FTE wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:23 pm

So true. It will almost always disappoint. Just curious, is there a Tom Selleck story here?
No Tom Selleck story, but as an avid car guy I know that a lot of 80s supercars are better left in the realm of fantasy.

Heck, pretty much any modern mom-mobile minivan can out gun and out hustle a 308. 😑
Yeah, unfortunately pretty often doesn‘t equal smart. Did you know that for Magnum PI they bought a new 308 at the start of each of the 8 seasons and then auctioned them off at the end of the season? The eighties...

...were a Tony Montana cocaine mountain fueled Gordon Gekko paradise.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

ManOnTime wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:19 pm
FTE wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:52 pm

....were a Tony Montana cocaine mountain fueled Gordon Gekko paradise
Top Gun, Breakfast Club, Risky Business, Terminator, Moonlighting, A-Team, MacGyver, Night Rider...
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Today I bought a watch on eBay with the 15% discount. I narrowed all my choices down to two watches. Both watches cost about the same amount. One watch was used but very well priced for its condition (lightly used)and came with an extra strap....a really good deal even without the discount. It's a watch that I've always hoped and planned to own eventually but due to its size and some redundancy in my collection, its one that I know I'll probably flip at some point within a few years. And it's a popular watch, so flipping it shouldn't be too difficult. The second watch was brand new. The price wasn't great but with the discount it was a decent deal. Even with the discount though, it's been priced slightly better in the past. It's a watch that I've been aware of for less time but one I've definitely lusted after more and have spent more time tracking. The size and shape are perfect for my wrist. I consider it inevitable that I'll eventually own it and can see it as a long-term (if not life-long) keeper in my collection. I thought (agonized) about it until about 2 minutes before the coupon deadline and finally pulled the trigger. In the end I basically did what everybody says not to do. I bought the deal, the first/used watch, rather than the thing I really want and can see myself owning well into the future. And yet I feel I made a fairly good decision. I think I can flip the used watch at a later time and get what I paid or more. I think I'll be happy to have owned and experienced it. It will be part of the journey. I'm sure I'll own the other watch eventually. And I think I might be able to get it for the same or a lesser price. Also, what if I get all the watches I really want too soon? I need something to look forward to later, right?
Last edited by yinzburgher on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USMChawk
MoT Member

Post by USMChawk »

In just the last month I’ve suddenly become interested in flieger watches, whereas I’ve completely dismissed them in the past (this hobby is going to ruin me). I’m a fan of Laco, Damasko, and Sinn watches but never the flieger models. After a little research I pulled the trigger on a Stowa Klassik 40 Baumuster B, a watch that wasn’t even on my radar 3 days ago. No significant deal (10 euros for creating an account) just a desire to own this watch.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:09 pm Today I bought a watch on eBay with the 15% discount. I narrowed all my choices down to two watches. Both watches cost about the same amount. One watch was used but very well priced for its condition (lightly used)and came with an extra strap....a really good deal even without the discount. It's a watch that I've always hoped and planned to own eventually but due to its size and some redundancy in my collection, its one that I know I'll probably flip at some point within a few years. And it's a popular watch, so flipping it shouldn't be too difficult. The second watch was brand new. The price wasn't great but with the discount it was a decent deal. Even with the discount though, it's been priced slightly better in the past. It's a watch that I've been aware of for less time but one I've definitely lusted after more and have spent more time tracking. The size and shape are perfect for my wrist. I consider it inevitable that I'll eventually own it and can see it as a long-term (if not life-long) keeper in my collection. I thought (agonized) about it until about 2 minutes before the coupon deadline and finally pulled the trigger. In the end I basically did what everybody says not to do. I bought the deal, the first/used watch, rather than the thing I really want and can see myself owning well into the future. And yet I feel I made a fairly good decision. I think I can flip the used watch at a later time and get what I paid or more. I think I'll be happy to have owned and experienced it. It will be part of the journey. I'm sure I'll own the other watch eventually. And I think I might be able to get it for the same or a lesser price. Also, what if I get all the watches I really want too soon? I need something to look forward to later, right?

So what'd you get?
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:09 pm Today I bought a watch on eBay with the 15% discount. I narrowed all my choices down to two watches. Both watches cost about the same amount. One watch was used but very well priced for its condition (lightly used)and came with an extra strap....a really good deal even without the discount. It's a watch that I've always hoped and planned to own eventually but due to its size and some redundancy in my collection, its one that I know I'll probably flip at some point within a few years. And it's a popular watch, so flipping it shouldn't be too difficult. The second watch was brand new. The price wasn't great but with the discount it was a decent deal. Even with the discount though, it's been priced slightly better in the past. It's a watch that I've been aware of for less time but one I've definitely lusted after more and have spent more time tracking. The size and shape are perfect for my wrist. I consider it inevitable that I'll eventually own it and can see it as a long-term (if not life-long) keeper in my collection. I thought (agonized) about it until about 2 minutes before the coupon deadline and finally pulled the trigger. In the end I basically did what everybody says not to do. I bought the deal, the first/used watch, rather than the thing I really want and can see myself owning well into the future. And yet I feel I made a fairly good decision. I think I can flip the used watch at a later time and get what I paid or more. I think I'll be happy to have owned and experienced it. It will be part of the journey. I'm sure I'll own the other watch eventually. And I think I might be able to get it for the same or a lesser price. Also, what if I get all the watches I really want too soon? I need something to look forward to later, right?
I have thought about that several times, and been close to getting there several times. Sometimes I think I'm almost there. But you know what?....... It never ends. If anything my to get list keeps getting larger. Only way to get all or most of what you want is to stop looking at someone else's watches, forever.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:05 pm

So what'd you get?

Seiko Shogun SBDC029

[img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/11/32/09 ... 65eef5.jpg[/img]
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

1) Despite never having paid more than $1000 for a watch, my watch collection is worth orders of magnitude more than my car.

2) Despite looking up "orders of magnitude" just prior to this post, I still have no idea what it actually means. I'm just trying to say my watches are worth way more than my car.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

One order of magnitude larger means times 10.
Two orders of magnitude larger means times 100
Three orders of magnitude larger means times 1000.
And so forth.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

cel4145 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:28 am One order of magnitude larger means times 10.
Two orders of magnitude larger means times 100
Three orders of magnitude larger means times 1000.
And so forth.
I wish Wikipedia would've made it that easy to understand.....
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

yinzburgher wrote:1) Despite never having paid more than $1000 for a watch, my watch collection is worth orders of magnitude more than my car.

2) Despite looking up "orders of magnitude" just prior to this post, I still have no idea what it actually means. I'm just trying to say my watches are worth way more than my car.
I know where you're coming from man. I did the math once and was very surprised. It's a good thing the woman thinks all Seikos are less than $100 lol. My Seikos alone are worth more than her car. At least they don't depreciate quite as bad as cars. And they are a whole lot better at holding their value than performance mods on a car, which is part of my justification.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

That's hilarious bc I just went back to look at your collection and basically all but 2 of them are worth significantly more than $100. Also, I totally forgot you have a SJE073! You need to take advantage of all that and maybe buy yourself something like this.
[img]https://storage.grand-seiko.com/product ... 07_jpg.jpg[/img]
or this.
[img]https://www.watchpro.com/wp-content/upl ... 957468.jpg[/img]

I really don't want to do the math on my collection until after the "Great Purge of Summer 2019" that I'm planning. Maybe after that I'll actually give some thought to how much $ my collection might be worth. Luckily I got great deals on the majority of them.....probably only overpaid for a few.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

I strongly prefer oem bracelets on watches. For the look and feel however possibly more so for not having to figure out what strap looks good. Some people love frequently changing straps on watches to make them feel like new or different watches. I don't. It actually makes me a little crazy because frequently things just don't quite look "right" to me.

With that said over the years I've still aquired quite a few straps thinking I'll use them and I keep a big bag of almost all them with me at work just in case I need to change one or if I get a new watch that one of them might work with.
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 70fdf3.jpg[/IMG]

I have way more straps then I should however lately I've been getting less dive watches and some of my straps have been perfect for the new watches I've been getting.

Next confession is that it's actually easier for me to do bracelet adjustments, try straps etc at work rather than at home since my kids run off with whatever I'm using. I feel bad taking time away from my kids when I'm home yet I don't feel bad messing with my watches while I'm at work.

%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

mplsabdullah wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:20 am With that said over the years I've still aquired quite a few straps thinking I'll use them and I keep a big bag of almost all them with me at work just in case I need to change one or if I get a new watch that one of them might work with.
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 70fdf3.jpg[/IMG]
I wonder do your co-workers know you have a watch obsession? I'm trying to picture myself explaining why I keep a bag with dozens of watch straps at work. "You mean this isn't normal?!" :lol: