We're Moving!

Click for more info.

thoughts on Christmas decorations

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

thoughts on Christmas decorations

Post by BostonCharlie »

Today I spent about 30 minutes seeing if I could fix the three (incandescent) mini-bulb strands from last year. During this futile exercise I was wondering what others do. I have a few strands of LED lights, but I still like the warmth of the incandescent lights. My LED strands fired right up.

I would love to have lights along my roof line, but my roof line is boring -- it would not look good in lights. Last year I put a couple colored (clear incandescent) C9 light strands on our stunted magnolia tree in the back yard and the light play was surprisingly cool.

This year I will just have a lighted tree in our front bay window where passersby can enjoy it, same as last year. And probably lights in my backyard magnolia tree again.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: thoughts on Christmas decorations

Post by MoT »

I prefer LED. Mainly for how vibrant they look, but also for the lower energy cost. There are LED strands that give that old-fashioned warm look, but I haven't used those.

We normally outline our balcony in lights and add a couple of decorations. This year I picked up some Philips LED rope lights, and I've been impressed at how easy using them is, and though the LEDs are quite small and the strand unobtrusive, they can still be seen from a distance.

Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: thoughts on Christmas decorations

Post by watchpalooza »

So I grew up with the annual strand Troubleshooting process that my father had the boys do….move one bulb socket to socket to find the bad incandescent and get the strand to light. Since 2000 I have been full LED, and I will never go back.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr