We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Student Loans

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Student Loans

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

Is anyone else wondering if the student loan situation will be resolved this month?

At the very least I'm expecting an extension merely because student loan services have been told not to contact borrowers about repayment plans. Which means there won't be much time for people to figure it out. Post election obviously, but from a practical standpoint I'd imagine they'd have to go with a 1 month extension realistically just to not catch people off guard.

Beyond that, the 50k seems like a pipe dream. 10k might happen with restrictions and anything in-between seems implausible to me.

Not trying to argue about what should happen, just what you're willing to bet might.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
Robotaz
MoT Member

Re: Student Loans

Post by Robotaz »

I paid $72k in school loans and I don’t want to pay $.01 for someone else’s. I hope the student welfare is $0.00.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Robotaz wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:27 pm I paid $72k in school loans and I don’t want to pay $.01 for someone else’s. I hope the student welfare is $0.00.
Cool story bro.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:59 pm Is anyone else wondering if the student loan situation will be resolved this month?

At the very least I'm expecting an extension merely because student loan services have been told not to contact borrowers about repayment plans. Which means there won't be much time for people to figure it out. Post election obviously, but from a practical standpoint I'd imagine they'd have to go with a 1 month extension realistically just to not catch people off guard.

Beyond that, the 50k seems like a pipe dream. 10k might happen with restrictions and anything in-between seems implausible to me.

Not trying to argue about what should happen, just what you're willing to bet might.
I think they will announce the $10k with restrictions and extend the pause through the end of the year. I don't really have any hopes higher than that.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Boourns wrote:
Robotaz wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:27 pm I paid $72k in school loans and I don’t want to pay $.01 for someone else’s. I hope the student welfare is $0.00.
Cool story bro.
Right on. Diss people who pay their way and take responsibility for their actions as if they’re idiots. It’s the new American way. Nobody owes you for your school loans. Thinking they do is a mental illness.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Let's keep this civil.
If this devolves any further I'm shutting this thread down.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Robotaz wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:59 pm
Boourns wrote:
Cool story bro.
Right on. Diss people who pay their way and take responsibility for their actions as if they’re idiots. It’s the new American way. Nobody owes you for your school loans. Thinking they do is a mental illness.
So you (1) escalate the phrase "cool story bro" to me calling you an idiot; (2) respond by lashing out to accuse me of having a mental illness (leaving aside the issue that it's a pejorative for you); and (3) think it's unamerican to want people who come after you to have it better than you did. I think all that tells everyone here more about your mental state than mine.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

@Boourns and @Robotaz please feel free to continue this discussion via private messages.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody