We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Anyone else here into Fountain Pens?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Anyone else here into Fountain Pens?

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

I have recently become interested in Fountain Pens because they just feel so awesome to write with. I have wanted one for months so I recently bought myself a TWSBI eco for Christmas and a Parker Urban for a close friend.

Do any of you also use or own a fountain pen?
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
DiscoEstScio
MoT Member

Re: Anyone else here into Fountain Pens?

Post by DiscoEstScio »

Absolutely!

I am a big Lamy fan, as my current lineup is:

L2K "f"
Studio "f"

I used to own a Montblanc with a "safety" retractable nib and some Deltas along with a Waterman Carene but now I try to keep my pens as less ornate as possible. I just find that that using a bright celluioid #6 (or larger) is overkill outside of my home...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

DiscoEstScio wrote:Absolutely!

I am a big Lamy fan, as my current lineup is:

L2K "f"
Studio "f"

I used to own a Montblanc with a "safety" retractable nib and some Deltas along with a Waterman Carene but now I try to keep my pens as less ornate as possible. I just find that that using a bright celluioid #6 (or larger) is overkill outside of my home...

That's awesome. I almost bought a Lamy Safari but went for the TWSBI in a medium nib. What's your favorite ink?
DiscoEstScio
MoT Member

Post by DiscoEstScio »

Thank you

The 2000 is almost always inked up with Montblanc Royal Blue, but every few weeks or so I swap it for something fun like Racing Green (again from MB).

But then again I'm always in the market for a good blue-black with red/purple undertones.

Unfortunately, so many blue-black inks tend to dry as a faded gray - Lamy blue-black, Waterman, Quink etc).

One of my favorites is Pilot Iroshizuku Shin Kai although I hardly ever use it on a day-to-day basis. Not sure why that is as it is such a great ink.

AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

DiscoEstScio wrote:Thank you

The 2000 is almost always inked up with Montblanc Royal Blue, but every few weeks or so I swap it for something fun like Racing Green (again from MB).

But then again I'm always in the market for a good blue-black with red/purple undertones.

Unfortunately, so many blue-black inks tend to dry as a faded gray - Lamy blue-black, Waterman, Quink etc).

One of my favorites is Pilot Iroshizuku Shin Kai although I hardly ever use it on a day-to-day basis. Not sure why that is as it is such a great ink.

I'll have to try some of those out. I bought a couple jars of Diamine, but eventually I want to try the pilot Kon peki
Perdendosi
MoT Member

Post by Perdendosi »

Too tired to fill in all the details but yes I use fountain pens. Current faves are the Eco (I have 3 inked up), L2K, and an opus 88 to go w colorverse ink. I have a montblanc that needs some servicing as I dropped it on its nib.

Inks sailor jentle, diamine, and Bermingham Pen Co.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
Current collection:

Baume & Mercier Capeland Chrono | Alpina Startimer Heritage GMT | Oris Artix Date | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Hamtun H2 Meteroite | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Nth Nacken Renegade | Direnzo DRZ-03 "Blood Moon" | Citizen Grand Classic | Nodus Sector Field | Seiko SSA409 "Honeycomb" Star Bar **** Time | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Great White Turtle | Manchester Watch Works (RIP) Equinox All-Lume Dial | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" | Casio AE1400WH-2AV
DiscoEstScio
MoT Member

Post by DiscoEstScio »

Perdendosi wrote:Too tired to fill in all the details but yes I use fountain pens. Current faves are the Eco (I have 3 inked up), L2K, and an opus 88 to go w colorverse ink. I have a montblanc that needs some servicing as I dropped it on its nib.

How do you like the the Jentle line?

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

I prefer a good quality fountain pen over ballpoint or roller. My favorite mass produced are Waterman. Lots of great custom / bespoke makers.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
wake
MoT Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by wake »

I too have/use several Lamy safari fountains... Great bang for the buck and an excellent way to get into the fountain pen realm affordably.
Kirk B
MoT Member

Post by Kirk B »

My father was into fountain pens and had a very nice Montblanc 149 that he used at work.  He gifted me a few of his pens and I collected quite a bit of my own.  They're a lot more affordable than collecting mechanical watches or cars (a couple of my other hobbies).  Right now I've got somewhere north of 70 pens in my collection.  Favorites are probably Pelikan.  I like the huge capacity of a piston fill system and I like the interchangeable nibs (screw in).  But I can transform pretty much any pen to my liking.  I like the line width variation that you can easily get with an italic nib and it's really not that hard to grind a nice italic from a medium nib.  So I have ground a lot of my standard pens into lovely italics that I enjoy writing with.

As for inks... well I'm left handed, which means my hand will drag against the wet ink to some extent.  Thus I prefer quick drying inks and will adjust the nib flow to be dry too.  Montblanc inks write pretty dry and the Pilot Iroshizuku are very good in this respect as well.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Here is the TWSBI Eco I got for myself. Filled it with Diamine Cornflower. The capacity in this is freaking massive. Hate to say it but I think I found another hobby to start collecting...
Perdendosi
MoT Member

Post by Perdendosi »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:Here is the TWSBI Eco I got for myself. Filled it with Diamine Cornflower. The capacity in this is freaking massive. Hate to say it but I think I found another hobby to start collecting...
I love my ecos. Huge capacity, never hard starts (even after days or weeks of nonuse) affordable, comfortable. Just have to watch out for "burping" if you go from cold to warmer temps (or use the pen when it's cold).

Current collection:
Current collection:

Baume & Mercier Capeland Chrono | Alpina Startimer Heritage GMT | Oris Artix Date | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Hamtun H2 Meteroite | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Nth Nacken Renegade | Direnzo DRZ-03 "Blood Moon" | Citizen Grand Classic | Nodus Sector Field | Seiko SSA409 "Honeycomb" Star Bar **** Time | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Great White Turtle | Manchester Watch Works (RIP) Equinox All-Lume Dial | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" | Casio AE1400WH-2AV
Perdendosi
MoT Member

Post by Perdendosi »

DiscoEstScio wrote:
Perdendosi wrote:Too tired to fill in all the details but yes I use fountain pens. Current faves are the Eco (I have 3 inked up), L2K, and an opus 88 to go w colorverse ink. I have a montblanc that needs some servicing as I dropped it on its nib.

How do you like the the Jentle line?

Beautiful. High quality. Rich. Yama Dori is awesome.

Current collection:
Current collection:

MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:44 pm Do any of you also use or own a fountain pen?
Oh, I suppose. A little.
That's a sampling anyway. Sorry for the crap image, didn't feel like getting too carried away setting things up. Pretty much all acquired when funds were less constrained. That was some time ago and I haven't really kept up on the latest. There's some I still lust after, and if I did catch up on pen news I'm sure there'd be plenty more added to that list. I should probably be culling rather than adding to the pile.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Moving the discussion with [mention]MAAHHH THE FRENCH![/mention] and [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] from the non-watch HUISABH thread to here:
None of which I've tried yet! The Safaris are pretty popular student/entry-level pens though. Is the Redditer including cartridges or converters? Pilot-Namiki pens use their own type, whereas Lamy and Parker...might be interchangeable. They're similar enough that sometimes cross-brand pairings work between 'em. I'll be curious how they work out for you.
The Safaris have converters and I am not sure about the Pilot. The Parker I bought new and am just using the stock cartridge. I got the Parker yesterday... So far I like it, though it's a bit scratchy/light. I am going to see whether I might like a medium nib or whether I just need darker/better ink. Previously I usually write with a Uniball Vision Elite bold point (because that's what my office buys) so I'm used to a pretty bold point.

[mention]Sporkboy[/mention] -- that TWSBI looks interesting. Once I get a feel for what I like I might give it a go. I naturally gravitated toward thinner diameter pens because that seems like what I'd like -- the reason I picked the Vector. We'll see how I like the Safaris when I get them tomorrow.

Excited to get into this new hobby! At least most of the pens I want are less expensive than the watches I want. :lol:
I wish that watch were 38mm?