We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Random Thoughts

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Let me put in a good word for Infiniti.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

I Hate Weasels!

Email from Jomashop:

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 5.08.45 PM.png

*Free shipping valid on purchase of $50 or more. Other exclusions may apply.

------

What part of "ALL" don't they understand?
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:13 pm
What part of "ALL" don't they understand?
All of it.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

Started a new job and I can't decide if I want health insurance or not.

Regular plan is $50 a paycheck, High Deductible is $37.

Also, something called an HSA or FSA is available depending on which you sign up for.

I never go to the doctor and have no idea if this would ever be worth it barring an outright catastrophe.

Looks like I've got some research/ deciding to do.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:01 am Started a new job and I can't decide if I want health insurance or not.

$50 is cheap. Frankly, it would be incredibly foolish not to be insured.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:01 am Started a new job and I can't decide if I want health insurance or not.

Also, something called an HSA or FSA is available depending on which you sign up for.

I never go to the doctor and have no idea if this would ever be worth it barring an outright catastrophe.

Medical debt is the #1 cause of bankruptcy in the United States. Get insurance. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/11/this-is ... uptcy.html
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

Go with the regular plan at $50/paycheck. They all suck, but better to have it than not.
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Also, get the HSA/FSA. It's deducted pre-tax, so basically a 20-30% discount on health expenses, depending on your tax bracket. Your plan should have a very detailed list of what's an allowed expense and what's not. Review it and add up how much you spend on those things in a year. Some plans allow you to carry over a portion of the unused balance (usually a max of $550) into the next year, but know the limits and budget accordingly.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

Yeah, the regular plan and no FSA/HSA seems like the way to go.

I know the HSA with the high deductible plan is used by some of the employees here because the employer tosses in some sort of HSA match (edit $1k or 1.5k with family) they perceive as free money but I'm not sure I want to play around with it.

Worst case I mess it up and open enrollment is in November.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
Robotaz
MoT Member

Random Thoughts

Post by Robotaz »

Spirit of the Watch wrote:Yeah, the regular plan and no FSA/HSA seems like the way to go.

I know the HSA with the high deductible plan is used by some of the employees here because the employer tosses in some sort of HSA match (edit $1k or 1.5k with family) they perceive as free money but I'm not sure I want to play around with it.

Worst case I mess it up and open enrollment is in November.
Man, you are literally at step one understanding health insurance. You really need to do a lot more research. If you cannot immediately recite the difference between an FSA and HSA, you’re not in a position to make any decisions on what you need or don’t need. If you’re not 18 years old and living with your parents, you seriously have a lot of work to do my friend.

I’m just the messenger.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Quick differences between an HSA and FSA

HSA - only available with certain insurance plans. Pretax contributions. You will deposit a regular amount with each check automatically until your total is reached. So you're saving it up and best to plan anything $$ until closer to end of year. If you don't spend it all within the calendar year, you can roll over the leftover amount.

FSA - available with any plan company offers. Also pretax contributions You have access to your total yearly contribution from the start so you can schedule a major procedure early in the year which likely knocks out your deductible. Big difference is an FSA is use it or lose it. If you have any remaining balance by end of year, it's gone.

So figure out what works best for your situation. Guessing an HSA.

And to @Sussa's point, contribute to the max that allows employer matching. It is free money to your healthcare.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

TheJohnP wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:59 pm
FSA - available with any plan company offers. Also pretax contributions You have access to your total yearly contribution from the start so you can schedule a major procedure early in the year which likely knocks out your deductible. Big difference is an FSA is use it or lose it. If you have any remaining balance by end of year, it's gone.
“Use it or lose it” depends on the plan and the employer. IRS regulations allow carryover of up to 20% of the maximum contribution, but employers can set a lower limit, or not allow it at all. My company allows it.
Source: https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/ ... colas.aspx

HSAs are only offered with a high deductible plans, and have a higher contribution limit than FSAs to help you save enough to cover that high deductible.
Source: https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/hea ... ccount-hsa
Robotaz
MoT Member

Random Thoughts

Post by Robotaz »

I just got banned for 2 weeks for the 20 millionth time on WUS by Bo for trolling because a guy was ripping on watches smaller than 42 mm and I said “Midgets do well in a 36.” I thought it was a pretty subtle shut down on him for bashing smaller watches. Some people are so sensitive. On one hand it makes me feel like I’m walking on egg shells. On the other I just want to steamroll idiots and flip them off as my back tire spins out on their face.

People. Geez. I feel dumber now. Like I need that.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I like to think that MoT is like a bar where everybody has had a couple so we all give each other plenty of slack as we talk about things -- no need for eggshells or steamrollers.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

BostonCharlie wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:25 pm I like to think that MoT is like a bar where everybody has had a couple so we all give each other plenty of slack as we talk about things -- no need for eggshells or steamrollers.
Plus we don't have Bo on staff.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody