We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Random Thoughts

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
vta_watch
MoT Member

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by vta_watch »

Spirit of the Watch wrote:Any thoughts on Karens burning 5g towers because they believe it causes the coronavirus? Not to mention the articles about people/Karens complaining a 5g tower was authorized for their area w/out their permission (the radiation, no!!!!).

As for as I can tell, there is a HUGE overlap between these people and anti-vaxxers as well............ I guess those facebook conspiracy theories all run in the same circles.
Hell, I'd pay good money to have one of the wireless carriers install a 5G tower on my property. Maybe I'd finally get decent internet speed.

Tap. Talk. Buy a watch. Repeat.

Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

Idk, I just kind of feel like a 5g phone costs more, has subpar battery life, I live in an area w/out 5G, and even if I had it.... I wouldn't see much of a benefit. But MOT seems to be into cellphones so I'm sure he'll post his thoughts soon about.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:40 pm Idk, I just kind of feel like a 5g phone costs more, has subpar battery life, I live in an area w/out 5G, and even if I had it.... I wouldn't see much of a benefit. But MOT seems to be into cellphones so I'm sure he'll post his thoughts soon about.

Just some rambling.

I have a 5G capable phone. It really wasn't any more expensive than other "flagship" devices. The 5G standards are too fragmented at the moment, and there are not enough tower installations, even in major metropolitan areas to really notice that much of a speed difference. For example in some parts of the Twin Cities I can pull down roughly 200Mbps on LTE and only 100Mbps on 5G, whereas in other parts of town it will be the reverse. I'm on T-Mobile, by the way.

Battery life does take a hit, especially if you are in an area with sparse 5G coverage. That means the phone is going to spend a lot more time trying to connect to a 5G tower. The trick for people in those areas is to change your connection settings so that it only looks for 2G/3G/4G/LTE towers.

5G is really in its late infancy, early toddler stage right now. Give it another year or so and it will really be off and running.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

ManOnTime wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:54 pm
Spirit of the Watch wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:40 pm Idk, I just kind of feel like a 5g phone costs more, has subpar battery life, I live in an area w/out 5G, and even if I had it.... I wouldn't see much of a benefit. But MOT seems to be into cellphones so I'm sure he'll post his thoughts soon about.

Just some rambling.

I have a 5G capable phone. It really wasn't any more expensive than other "flagship" devices. The 5G standards are too fragmented at the moment, and there are not enough tower installations, even in major metropolitan areas to really notice that much of a speed difference. For example in some parts of the Twin Cities, I can pull down roughly 200Mbps on LTE and only 100Mbps on 5G, whereas in other parts of town it will be the reverse. I'm on T-Mobile, by the way.

Battery life does take a hit, especially if you are in an area with sparse 5G coverage. That means the phone is going to spend a lot more time trying to connect to a 5G tower. The trick for people in those areas is to change your connection settings so that it only looks for 2G/3G/4G/LTE towers.

5G is really in its late infancy, early toddler stage right now. Give it another year or so and it will really be off and running.
So, I'm reading don't buy a phone for 5g this year and hopefully, when 5g speeds/availability pick up, 5G capable phones won't need gigantic batteries to get barely acceptable battery lives (looking at you Qualcomm). :lol:

I'm back and forth between the pixel 4a (early June now?) or s10e. Figure I can buy a new phone to replace either one in a few years when 5g is a young adult burning the candle at both ends.... maybe in the corporate world wondering why people need to make phone calls in the middle of the night w/in the same building over and over again.
-William Osler
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

I only have a dumb phone.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Braun digital processed through NY USPS facility.
Says delivery by Monday, but hoping for sooner.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:39 am So, I'm reading don't buy a phone for 5g this year and hopefully, when 5g speeds/availability pick up, 5G capable phones won't need gigantic batteries to get barely acceptable battery lives (looking at you Qualcomm). :lol:

The last three flagship-level phones I've had are the Pixel 4 XL, OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren 5G, and now the Samsung S20 Ultra 5G.

The Pixel was by leaps and bounds the worst when it came to battery life, closely followed by the OnePlus. So far, the S20 has been quite good in that regard, I can usually go a full day without suffering from battery anxiety or topping off.

With the ubiquitousness of rapid charging availability as well as portable battery packs, I honestly don't think battery anxiety will really even be a thing much longer. Especially combined with denser and more efficient S.O.C. manufacturing processes.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

ManOnTime wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:14 pm
Spirit of the Watch wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:39 am So, I'm reading don't buy a phone for 5g this year and hopefully, when 5g speeds/availability pick up, 5G capable phones won't need gigantic batteries to get barely acceptable battery lives (looking at you Qualcomm). :lol:

The last three flagship-level phones I've had are the Pixel 4 XL, OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren 5G, and now the Samsung S20 Ultra 5G.

The Pixel was by leaps and bounds the worst when it came to battery life, closely followed by the OnePlus. So far, the S20 has been quite good in that regard, I can usually go a full day without suffering from battery anxiety or topping off.

With the ubiquitousness of rapid charging availability as well as portable battery packs, I honestly don't think battery anxiety will really even be a thing much longer. Especially combined with denser and more efficient S.O.C. manufacturing processes.
Yeah but people left Google over how bad battery life was on the 4 and I believe it came w/ a relatively small battery onboard. I think that's a unique people lost their jobs over it type of phone. Even the head engineer of their camera division walked out the door.

As for the battery packs I carry one with me everywhere because my s7 is on deaths door step (nearly 4 years old). I mean it's okay when I leave it in a bag or something but getting through a 12 hour day with maybe 2 hours of actual phone use (email, SMS, web) and having to charge the phone just to get home at 20% kind of sucks. From my understanding the strain on those 5g phones is extreme. I can't imagine how bad battery life will be on the s20 ultra at 3 years old much less 4. An hour of use a day?

On a side note:
Also, rumor is the 4a will sell for $299-$349 and should be okay. One can imagine a firesale for the 3a at that point..... does anyone have kids that need a phone?
-William Osler
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:46 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:14 pm

Yeah but people left Google over how bad battery life was on the 4 and I believe it came w/ a relatively small battery onboard. I think that's a unique people lost their jobs over it type of phone. Even the head engineer of their camera division walked out the door.

As for the battery packs I carry one with me everywhere because my s7 is on deaths door step (nearly 4 years old). I mean it's okay when I leave it in a bag or something but getting through a 12 hour day with maybe 2 hours of actual phone use (email, SMS, web) and having to charge the phone just to get home at 20% kind of sucks. From my understanding the strain on those 5g phones is extreme. I can't imagine how bad battery life will be on the s20 ultra at 3 years old much less 4. An hour of use a day?

On a side note:
Also, rumor is the 4a will sell for $299-$349 and should be okay. One can imagine a firesale for the 3a at that point..... does anyone have kids that need a phone?

If the 4a 128GB or better comes in under $400, I will probably buy.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Had my heart set on a Mercedes W124 diesel to use as a beater to replace the crumbling Prizm beater we have now. Someone contacted the seller right before I did, so they had first chance to look at it, and of course they bought it.

Oh well, the search continues.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

ManOnTime wrote:Had my heart set on a Mercedes W124 diesel to use as a beater to replace the crumbling Prizm beater we have now. Someone contacted the seller right before I did, so they had first chance to look at it, and of course they bought it.

Oh well, the search continues.
I still lust after the AMG Hammer. 6.0L of pure widebody sexiness

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Whoa!!!!..... guys BMW>Mercedes anyday

That said I owned a e46 for a while and I regret it, spent more time working on it than driving. Finally donated the rust bucket to a charity.
-William Osler
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:04 am Whoa!!!!..... guys BMW>Mercedes anyday

That said I owned a e46 for a while and I regret it, spent more time working on it than driving. Finally donated the rust bucket to a charity.
Yep, much prefer BMW. My E36 was great, but yeah, the E46 was temperamental. They both did offer great driving experience.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

pdsf wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:02 am
Spirit of the Watch wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:04 am Whoa!!!!..... guys BMW>Mercedes anyday

Yep, much prefer BMW. My E36 was great, but yeah, the E46 was temperamental. They both did offer great driving experience.

The only things to survive the nuclear apocalypse will be **** and a fleet of W12x Mercs.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

ManOnTime wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:53 am
pdsf wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:02 am

The only things to survive the nuclear apocalypse will be **** and a fleet of W12x Mercs.
Haha! :D I won't survive the nuclear apocalypse though....

I do like the older Merc diesels. And if I had the money and style (and don't care about money going down the drain), I'd love to have a G class.