We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Random Thoughts

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by MoT »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:35 pm ^Thanks man, unfortunately my friends think I'm an idiot for trying this. Mostly there is a good 2-3 miles most riders deem "dangerous" and will instead go 5+ miles to avoid, but that involves gravel or a steep incline and i don't have the means/desire to deal with that.

If it absolutely sucks I might catch an uber for the return trip at night. I'm aware too many cyclists have lost limb or life in the little death trap the commies on city council love to add more and more roundabouts to (the gigantic can't see what's around the corner, not even a 4 way intersection.... it's kind of just there type of roundabout). Especially in winter the road is poorly designed so ice builds on half of it and less so on the other half. This sends cars spinning into the ditch and MAN vs. CAR tends to mean dude lives a disabled life but some d bag on the city council can point his pinky up and pretend to be a French aristocrat.

They have a 3 year plan to finish a bike trail that will resolve this problem.... but gotta build death traps and roundabouts first.

Just on a side note/rant roundabouts might work in Europe but American drivers are prone to accidents when they encounter one. If the speed limit is over 35 one shouldn't be built and no lowering the speed limit JUST to put in a roundabout is equally dumb.
Instead of whining about it from the sidelines, why not put skin in the game and run for council and try to affect the change you'd like to see?

Oh, and please knock off slinging political epithets at things/people just because you don't like them. This ain't the place for it.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:35 pm Just on a side note/rant roundabouts might work in Europe but American drivers are prone to accidents when they encounter one. If the speed limit is over 35 one shouldn't be built and no lowering the speed limit JUST to put in a roundabout is equally dumb.
There seems to be some personal bias here, so data may not sway you, but there's a ton of research showing roundabouts are significantly safer for drivers and pedestrians. Start here for a summary: https://nextstl.com/2013/10/mythbusters ... hroughput/

No, US drivers are typically not used to them and that makes them scary. But if we can get people over that fear, there's benefit. And I say that as someone who was nearly in tears the first time I drove through this in the Boston area:
Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 8.23.59 AM.png
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

^ oh my that's a big roundabout. Not as crazy as some of the ones in the UK but by US standards, that's pretty big.

I learned to drive in the UK so I am used to roundabouts (here I have to go the other way!). Dealing with roundabouts was one of the first things I learned - how to go in, when to start your exit, signal appropriately, etc. When everyone knows how to do it, it's fine. When one person does something weird or unexpected, things then could get a bit hectic.

On a different note, there are more performance items to be assessed during a driving test in the UK vs the US, just my own observation.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:23 pm Well, I've decided to try cycling and I bought a REI CTY 1.1 Hybrid Bike... Apparently there's been a run on bikes and at 6'3" my choices were limited. I should have it in 3 weeks or so.

Link
https://www.rei.com/product/121596/co-o ... ty-11-bike

Anyhow, I'm a total noob but there's a vast but not not interconnected network of trails where I live. I'm gonna try my hand at commuting 10 miles a day at least twice a week and see how it goes. I'm mostly worried about riding on the side of the road, where there's no side walk and minimal shoulder. My city is tearing up a bunch of roads to put in useless roundabouts because communism.

Anyhow, what have you guys tried this summer?
Good for you, good luck and please share your experiences and progress! I have wanted to try biking for a couple of years now.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Sussa wrote:
Spirit of the Watch wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:35 pm Just on a side note/rant roundabouts might work in Europe but American drivers are prone to accidents when they encounter one. If the speed limit is over 35 one shouldn't be built and no lowering the speed limit JUST to put in a roundabout is equally dumb.
There seems to be some personal bias here, so data may not sway you, but there's a ton of research showing roundabouts are significantly safer for drivers and pedestrians. Start here for a summary: https://nextstl.com/2013/10/mythbusters ... hroughput/

No, US drivers are typically not used to them and that makes them scary. But if we can get people over that fear, there's benefit. And I say that as someone who was nearly in tears the first time I drove through this in the Boston area:
Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 8.23.59 AM.png
Try navigating this!! It's no roundabout, but I am always confused yet somehow end up in the right direction(mostly).

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

Solid gold. I got to hold this today and I literally :lol:

The weight was insane!
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

whoagorgeous wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:26 pm Image

Solid gold. I got to hold this today and I literally :lol:

The weight was insane!
After wearing it for a month:

Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

A local Rolex AD has offered me this. Can't say I'm not tempted.
PetrosD
MoT Member

Post by PetrosD »

whoagorgeous wrote:Image

A local Rolex AD has offered me this. Can't say I'm not tempted.
I had that same reference offered to me by a ROJ about 9 months ago. I passed. It was a stretch for me at the time and I wasn't sure about the color scheme in the long run. Many regrets. If I can at the time, and I have another opportunity, I'm going for it.
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

What else better to do on my free day than to go Rolex shopping.
Obviously, I knew there wouldnt be anything available in Stainless.

But I got to try on some more models.

ImageImage

Personally, I don't like the 41 Datejust. So big.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

whoagorgeous wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:54 pm Personally, I don't like the 41 Datejust. So big.
Re the 41 DJ - I agree. It loses its spirit me thinks.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I'm continually amazed at the lengths people will go to get what they deem to be the best parking spot.

Also, crunchy watch box pillows......🤷‍♂️
2020-08-19 (2)_LI.jpg
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

yinzburgher wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:10 am I'm continually amazed at the lengths people will go to get what they deem to be the best parking spot.

Also, crunchy watch box pillows......🤷‍♂️

2020-08-19 (2)_LI.jpg
What do you expect when it's "curated by cats"?! And of course the pillow would get a mention. :)
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Crunchy Pillows is my new band name.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Not so much a random thought, as random weather...

Living a comeback montage.