We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Random Thoughts

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Sussa
MoT Member

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Sussa »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:03 pm Has anyone seen this article?

One-Third of Americans Making $250,000 Live Paycheck-to-Paycheck, Survey Finds
About 78% of Americans said they were doing okay financially or living comfortably -- the highest share since the Fed began running the annual survey in 2013.

Still, one in nine respondents said that they wouldn’t be able to cover a $400 emergency expense by any means, including credit cards, borrowing from family or friends or by selling an asset. 
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ire-salary

Okay, I understand on the low income end how difficult it must be to cover an unexpected $400 expense.

However, if you make $250k and have trouble meeting your basic needs..... how? Is it buying the most expensive home you could? Car? Lifestyle?
The hedonic treadmill, or skyrocketing housing costs plus student loan debt would be my guess. Also, higher salaries tend to come in higher cost of living areas. I’m seeing anecdotes of rents being raised in my area by hundreds per month. Still, not having a spare $400 at that income level is surprising. I wonder how many millennials have lost trust in banks or don’t see the point in saving for retirement because they just see society collapsing before they reach that age?
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Sussa wrote:
Spirit of the Watch wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:03 pm Has anyone seen this article?

One-Third of Americans Making $250,000 Live Paycheck-to-Paycheck, Survey Finds
About 78% of Americans said they were doing okay financially or living comfortably -- the highest share since the Fed began running the annual survey in 2013.

Still, one in nine respondents said that they wouldn’t be able to cover a $400 emergency expense by any means, including credit cards, borrowing from family or friends or by selling an asset. 
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ire-salary

Okay, I understand on the low income end how difficult it must be to cover an unexpected $400 expense.

However, if you make $250k and have trouble meeting your basic needs..... how? Is it buying the most expensive home you could? Car? Lifestyle?
The hedonic treadmill, or skyrocketing housing costs plus student loan debt would be my guess. Also, higher salaries tend to come in higher cost of living areas. I’m seeing anecdotes of rents being raised in my area by hundreds per month. Still, not having a spare $400 at that income level is surprising. I wonder how many millennials have lost trust in banks or don’t see the point in saving for retirement because they just see society collapsing before they reach that age?
Most of the millennials just watched their mommy and daddy and grandma and grandpa just extract the final trillions of dollars of value out of our nation and into their pockets over the last two years. So they don’t even really have any clue what’s coming to even be worried about. That extraction of wealth may last 2 to 3 generations, but after that they were going to be in the same group as the rest of us. The biggest division of classes we’ve ever seen is coming to America and the fat and happy millionaires all over the place happy that our government has put us $30 trillion in debt and handed it to them are going to have broke descendants just like the rest of us.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

When the dust settles the world will be just like in Star Trek. ;-) ;-) ;-)
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

^Worst case I'll save and move to Istanbul. Probably be happier there too.

Or maybe Antalya, get closer to the beach :-)
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

Eventually the sun will go super nova.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

I wish everyone would wash their hands after they have peed or pooped. Is it really that difficult!?
Robotaz
MoT Member

Random Thoughts

Post by Robotaz »

I’m back to looking for some electric yard equipment and I thought it was hilarious what Google told me people are primarily searching related to that.

“Are electric mowers the future?”

LOL, yeah they’ll let you retire early, pay for your medication, pay your mortgage and let you quit working and move into a cloud city, etc. The future for you is lawn mowers. Reminds me of a Jetsons episode.

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Robotaz wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:05 pm I’m back to looking for some electric yard equipment and I thought it was hilarious what Google told me people are primarily searching related to that.

LOL, yeah they’ll let you retire early, pay for your medication, pay your mortgage and let you quit working and move into a cloud city, etc. The future for you is lawn mowers. Reminds me of a Jetsons episode.

Lol! Here is where I have bought some open box electric yard equipment. Sometimes they run specials like the 'extra 30% off' I see atm. I have also had them make an offer soon after I watched an item. Their inventory changes frequently.

So far I've bought a few Ryobi tools and have been satisfied. A couple things looked unopened, one had clearly been used before being returned, and one -- a pole mounted chain saw -- was missing a piece of the pole extension. It did include a Guiness bottle cap which didn't quite make up for it. The items I bought included 30 day 'seller pays' returns. Don't think there is any warranty -- none is mentioned.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/tools_direct/m ... pg=&_from=
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

BostonCharlie wrote:
Robotaz wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:05 pm I’m back to looking for some electric yard equipment and I thought it was hilarious what Google told me people are primarily searching related to that.

Lol! Here is where I have bought some open box electric yard equipment. Sometimes they run specials like the 'extra 30% off' I see atm. I have also had them make an offer soon after I watched an item. Their inventory changes frequently.

So far I've bought a few Ryobi tools and have been satisfied. A couple things looked unopened, one had clearly been used before being returned, and one -- a pole mounted chain saw -- was missing a piece of the pole extension. It did include a Guiness bottle cap which didn't quite make up for it. The items I bought included 30 day 'seller pays' returns. Don't think there is any warranty -- none is mentioned.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/tools_direct/m ... pg=&_from=
That’s really cool. Thank you.

I had a Snapper electric mower with a metal deck and the motor would speed up for thicker grass and slow back down to use less battery. I loved it and will probably go that way again. I bought a 2-year old Husqvarna riding lawn mower from my new home’s seller, so this push mower will be to mow around the outside perimeter and around the house to not have to weed eat as much. I may just buy the lightest and cheapest for that.

Thanks again!
Robotaz
MoT Member

Random Thoughts

Post by Robotaz »

Capping off a really good day with a brew at a local brewery and get a text from my wife who is supposed to just be getting an oil change at the dealer and urgently requesting a Face Time with a mechanic.

How do you think it went?

*Hint: her car is a Nissan*
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Robotaz wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:53 pm Capping off a really good day with a brew at a local brewery and get a text from my wife who is supposed to just be getting an oil change at the dealer and urgently requesting a Face Time with a mechanic.

Nissan CVT strikes again?
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

ManOnTime wrote:
Robotaz wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:53 pm Capping off a really good day with a brew at a local brewery and get a text from my wife who is supposed to just be getting an oil change at the dealer and urgently requesting a Face Time with a mechanic.

Nissan CVT strikes again?
Haha that’s hilarious, Matt. Really is. You know your Nissans.

Actually, I have apparently lucked out and had the CVT and transfer case serviced at 60,000 miles and today am told, with extreme urgency and hysterics via FaceTime, that the transfer case seals are leaking. Since it holds very little fluid, that’s a real problem.

Her heated/cooled seats were repaired under warranty at 15,000 miles and broke again at 40,000 miles. Nissan was so kind to offer $600 off the $1200 repair. I said screw you.

A rear shock was replaced at 11,000 miles.

At 45,000 I had to replace a wheel bearing that cost $500.

There’s just always something broken. It’s sad because I have always thought highly of Japanese car companies. Nissan is bad. Really bad.

When I close on the house this thing is gone possibly the next day. Bought my first Nissan in 2016 and will sell my first and last Nissan in 2022. My wife loves the car, but she doesn’t have to deal with keeping it running, so buh bye.

It’s a 2016 Murano Platinum with Tech package, every option. Worst car purchase I ever made.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

^Yeah, on the topic of Japanese cars, I've heard the new Honda's have really gone downhill.

I'm not sure as I owned a 2004 Civic years ago that performed like a champ. Killed many deer in it and it kept going.

Subaru apparently has poor Q.C.

It's really just Toyota that's holding the standard.
-William Osler
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

tenor-1.gif
tenor.gif
Training day one, need coffee. Also, a machine is down so I'm being paid to read procedures, aka playing games on my phone
-William Osler
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:05 pm ^Yeah, on the topic of Japanese cars, I've heard the new Honda's have really gone downhill.

I'm not sure as I owned a 2004 Civic years ago that performed like a champ. Killed many deer in it and it kept going.

Subaru apparently has poor Q.C.

It's really just Toyota that's holding the standard.

I've owned Hondas, Mazdas, and Subaru.
My current Subaru has had no issues in about 7-8 years of ownership
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find