We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Random Thoughts

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

ManOnTime wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:25 pm Looking through some site analytics today. We have users on every continent except for Antarctica. I wonder how I can get one of the scientists stationed down there to log on when they aren't chasing penguins.

Yeah but anyone in the southern climates, just short of Antarctica, can't do this now can they ;-)

"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

Is anyone committed to a Fake Commute? I'm riding a bike more, but I don't have the luxury of working from home......... so it hasn't really affected me.

The rise of the fake commute, and why it's good for your mental health
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/18/success/ ... index.html
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:28 pm Is anyone committed to a Fake Commute? I'm riding a bike more, but I don't have the luxury of working from home......... so it hasn't really affected me.

The rise of the fake commute, and why it's good for your mental health
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/18/success/ ... index.html
I tried, briefly, to ride a stationary bike as a fake commute. Turns out I really like sleeping in. I've worked from home for several years, and am fortunate to have dedicated home office space that I can step away from, and separate electronics for work and home. It's easier to make the mental shift. Now if I just could find a way to fake work travel. That provided my spouse and me with quality time apart from one another.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

I didn't know where to put this so here it is. Pretty funny, especially if you're a Seinfeld fan.

Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Stretch44 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:57 pm I didn't know where to put this so here it is. Pretty funny, especially if you're a Seinfeld fan.

I don’t know. That was kind of disturbing, and that’s coming from a Seinfeld fan. :lol:
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Can't get any more random than these two thoughts:
I have worn a different pair of shoes to work each day this week. Don't ask why...and it is probably the first time such a thing has happened. I couldn't help but thinking that in some parallel universe there is a shoe forum. They also have a WRUW thread and maybe a Legion of Shoe Deal Seekers what observe Wingtip Wednesday :lol:.

Also, I normally don't listen to anything when I run, but over the past couple of months I have. At the suggestion of [mention]cortman[/mention] I have listened to a few watch podcast. Watch podcasts and running do not mix. They take :30/mi off my splits.
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Split-Time wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:11 pm Also, I normally don't listen to anything when I run, but over the past couple of months I have. At the suggestion of @cortman I have listened to a few watch podcast. Watch podcasts and running do not mix. They take :30/mi off my splits.
Have you tried demagnetizing? 8-)
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Sussa wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:20 pm
Split-Time wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:11 pm Also, I normally don't listen to anything when I run, but over the past couple of months I have. At the suggestion of @cortman I have listened to a few watch podcast. Watch podcasts and running do not mix. They take :30/mi off my splits.
I wish the solution were that simple! :roll: At this point I will try anything because I am in a rut. Life is good...don't get me wrong, just a running rut. On the flip side, I know that the Rolex Day-Date is the de facto watch for NBA players :lol: . "I'll take useless BS for $500 please, Alex."
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Split-Time wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:11 pm
I have worn a different pair of shoes to work each day this week. Don't ask why...and it is probably the first time such a thing has happened. I couldn't help but thinking that in some parallel universe there is a shoe forum. They also have a WRUW thread and maybe a Legion of Shoe Deal Seekers what observe Wingtip Wednesday :lol:.

Who would ever wear a different pair of shoes each day?!?!?

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

TheJohnP wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:42 pm

I will never be this cool :shock:. Plus, I don't know how to embed videos and multi quote must be wizardry.

We need to talk about that camera.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Split-Time wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:00 pm

I will never be this cool :shock:. Plus, I don't know how to embed videos and multi quote must be wizardry.

Yes! As well as the pipe and the sheets.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Third column from the right, fourth row from the top: Is that a Lichtenstein-inspired design?
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Split-Time wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:40 pm
Sussa wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:20 pm
I wish the solution were that simple! :roll: At this point I will try anything because I am in a rut. Life is good...don't get me wrong, just a running rut. On the flip side, I know that the Rolex Day-Date is the de facto watch for NBA players :lol: . "I'll take useless BS for $500 please, Alex."
Yeah, I am in a running rut as well. Not sure what to do. Hoping to join a local running club when folks are vaccinated - that oughta help. I thought about forming a MoT walking/running club but not sure how to do it and if it'd be effective to help us all commit and improve in the long run (pun unintended!).

Oh, I do like the Rolex Day-Date. :)
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Split-Time wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:00 pm

The camera lamp was found at a seasonal Indie Craft Experience expo in Atlanta. I.C.E. is basically Etsy in real life with tons of artists, crafters, and vendors selling homemade and vintage wares. There was a guy (maybe from Alabama?) who made lamps out of found materials. The camera was what caught my eye.

ManOnTime wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:15 pm

Yes! As well as the pipe and the sheets.
Found the sheets at Target years ago.

The pipe belonged to my maternal grandfather. He died when I was very young, so don't remember him. But the pipe is one of the few things I have that he owned.
Click Icon To Contact Me

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Sussa wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:37 am

Third column from the right, fourth row from the top: Is that a Lichtenstein-inspired design?
Good eye [mention]Sussa[/mention] !

Indeed they are. Here's a better pic of that pair and the camera lamp.

Click Icon To Contact Me