Random Thoughts

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
cel4145
MoT Member

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by cel4145 »

Smartphone camera technology keeps getting better and better. What I need are arm upgrades to stop movement during wrist shots and prevent blurred photos. :lol:
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

Maybe it's my bad vision... idk

But I use dark mode on my phone and light mode on the computer.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Yesterday my cardiologist liked the el cheapo Pulsar I was wearing.

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 4.13.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 4.13.49 PM.png (748.58 KiB) Viewed 4243 times

Last month I favorably viewed the watch my neighbor had on--a Timex, as it turned out.

So why do we spend more than $50 on a watch?
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

Totally random:

1) I really don’t care for textured dials....although they seem to be the new hot thing.

2) Screw down chronograph pushers? Why? Do people dive with chronos? It just makes it take longer to actually use the chrono function.

3) I love a nice watch but I hate all other jewelry.....I wouldn’t wear my wedding ring if I could.

4) Why do all the watches I really want cost over $3,000?
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Listening to The Bangles "Manic Monday" recently and I realized how much life has changed my perspective on the lyrics.

Childhood me: These are very adult problems I'm definitely going to have some day.

Adult me: This is a song about poor time management skills. You woke up at 6 and can't get to work by 9? What are your commuting options? Why are you worried about making your bed if your pay is going to get docked for being late? Maybe your lover who just had to "get down" last night could make the bed? And for heaven's sake, if it takes you so long to figure out what you're going to wear, choose your outfit the night before.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

One of the things I love about this hobby is that you can wake up in the morning, strap a favorite piece of kit on your wrist and go on about your business while enjoying it all day long, assuming you didn't sleep with and dreamt of it too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

I have a sneaking suspicion that some of you guys trim your wrist hair to get better wrist shots. lol
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

cel4145 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:01 pm I have a sneaking suspicion that some of you guys trim your wrist hair to get better wrist shots. lol

My wife suggests that all the guys should trim their wrist hair when posting wrist shots.
haha
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

cel4145 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:01 pm I have a sneaking suspicion that some of you guys trim your wrist hair to get better wrist shots. lol
The skin on my wrist reacts to most all synthetic rubber materials, so I'll often shave where the watch and strap sits.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

I'm one of those hairy guys. Haha.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

You know, what is politics? Established parties and all that or does it simply include someone else having an opposing view?

For example, if I hold the view Miyota movements and their free spinning rotors make the most delightful sound the world has ever heard and I feel very strongly about this. Then maybe I convince a few other people of it.... does that mean future discussions are now political? Would it be fair to say political as used by some people really just refers to heated, divisive, or even just unpleasant?

Not referring to anything on this forum, I just feel the word is misused at times.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:59 am You know, what is politics? Established parties and all that or does it simply include someone else having an opposing view?

For example, if I hold the view Miyota movements and their free spinning rotors make the most delightful sound the world has ever heard and I feel very strongly about this. Then maybe I convince a few other people of it.... does that mean future discussions are now political? Would it be fair to say political as used by some people really just refers to heated, divisive, or even just unpleasant?

Not referring to anything on this forum, I just feel the word is misused at times.
From Merriam-Webster:

Definition of politics
1a: the art or science of government
b: the art or science concerned with guiding or influencing governmental policy
c: the art or science concerned with winning and holding control over a government
2: political actions, practices, or policies
3a: political affairs or business
especially : competition between competing interest groups or individuals for power and leadership (as in a government)
b: political life especially as a principal activity or profession
c: political activities characterized by artful and often dishonest practices
4: the political opinions or sympathies of a person
5a: the total complex of relations between people living in society
b: relations or conduct in a particular area of experience especially as seen or dealt with from a political point of view
office politics
ethnic politics

So for purposes of this forum, we'll generally say politics covers issues of governance. Which will continue to be verboten.

If anyone wants to debate, discuss, or talk through opinions about watches, we absolutely welcome that. AS LONG as everyone is civil and respectful.

For instance, people can tell me all day long that they like the 4-5 position of a date window, but no one will convince me it's not an afterthought. But happy to talk through with anyone who feels otherwise. They're wrong of course, but happy to discuss.
;)
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

TheJohnP wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm ....
So for purposes of this forum, we'll generally say politics covers issues of governance. Which will continue to be verboten.

If anyone wants to debate, discuss, or talk through opinions about watches, we absolutely welcome that. AS LONG as everyone is civil and respectful.

For instance, people can tell me all day long that they like the 4-5 position of a date window, but no one will convince me it's not an afterthought. But happy to talk through with anyone who feels otherwise. They're wrong of course, but happy to discuss.
;)
Unless a government decides to outlaw the 4-5 position date window. (Which they should!) Then it becomes politics :lol: :lol:
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:59 am You know, what is politics? Established parties and all that or does it simply include someone else having an opposing view?

...only if both sides are coopted by special interest groups, begin catering “to the middle” to gain membership while executing hidden agendas, ignore the greater good, base candidate selection purely on amount of money raised for the party, perpetuate a system of tacit exclusivity, purposely create “grey areas” to exploit in law and system, and take every step possible to retain control through administrations. Hypothetically speaking, of course.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

watchpalooza wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:16 am
...only if both sides are co-opted by special interest groups, begin catering “to the middle” to gain membership while executing hidden agendas, ignore the greater good, base candidate selection purely on amount of money raised for the party, perpetuate a system of tacit exclusivity, purposely create “grey areas” to exploit in law and system, and take every step possible to retain control through administrations. Hypothetically speaking, of course.
You're describing the plot of Citizen Kane or the Manchurian Candidate, right? Such things could never happen in the modern world, right? ;)
Last edited by tommy_boy on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.