We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Codek Spiral - official MOT watch?

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Codek Spiral - official MOT watch?

Post by TheJohnP »

Seriously glad the white is sold out.
Came THIS close to pulling the trigger on one.
That was a hard deal to resist, but percerviered.
Really love the watch, but don't need it in another colorway.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
fcb358
MoT Member

Post by fcb358 »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:39 pm Seriously glad the white is sold out.
Came THIS close to pulling the trigger on one.
That was a hard deal to resist, but percerviered.
Really love the watch, but don't need it in another colorway.
I think I got the last one, on cordovan burgundy. Glad I could help you resist:)
Klaatu3
MoT Member

Post by Klaatu3 »

OK I joined the fray and ordered one last night--blue with burgandy cordovan for $130. Insane! Thanks to quincas, et al for the heads-up yesterday. I feel a little guilty--this price MUST be below cost. Hope we'll be seeing more from Codek in the future. I think these will be sought-after when they're gone.
- Klaatu3

"I don't have time to set all these &%#* watches!"
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

Klaatu3 wrote:OK I joined the fray and ordered one last night--blue with burgandy cordovan for $130. Insane! Thanks to quincas, et al for the heads-up yesterday. I feel a little guilty--this price MUST be below cost. Hope we'll be seeing more from Codek in the future. I think these will be sought-after when they're gone.
I jumped on the same combo too! Was torn between white and blue dial, but I’ve got a penchant for blue. Wife may kill me as I’ve had ~6 watches come in over the last month.

Shoutout to @quincas and the rest of the MoT crew who posted and discussed the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:01 pm Opaline white dial with a burgundy shell cordovan strap incoming! It appears all of the white dial options have now sold out.

Looks like I won't be getting this. The white dial was oversold by 4 units and I'm one of the unlucky four. I may still be able to get a blue dial but I'm not certain. If I do, I'm hoping I can still get it with shell cordovan but it is sounding less likely that any strap options are available. I'm a little disappointed as I had my mind made up decisively in favor of white over blue but I'm hopeful I can still get a watch.
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

yinzburgher wrote:
yinzburgher wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:01 pm Opaline white dial with a burgundy shell cordovan strap incoming! It appears all of the white dial options have now sold out.

Looks like I won't be getting this. The white dial was oversold by 4 units and I'm one of the unlucky four. I may still be able to get a blue dial but I'm not certain. If I do, I'm hoping I can still get it with shell cordovan but it is sounding less likely that any strap options are available. I'm a little disappointed as I had my mind made up decisively in favor of white over blue but I'm hopeful I can still get a watch.
I’m thinking a few folks on this forum may be open to a swap or on the Missed Bargain Second Chance thread. I’m already feeling as though I should have gone with the white dial...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

20010208_copy.jpg
Asymetrical Audemars Piguet

https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/Lot ... tails.aspx
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Does look to have taken a lot of cues from that vintage AP.
Not sure if that bothers anyone, but certainly isn't an issue for me.
Click Icon To Contact Me

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Just saw this posted in the Codek shop for all the folks who've taken advantage of the latest fire sale:

NOTICE: Orders placed on September 10 or later may have a later ship date. A batch of watches is getting regulated by the watchmaker, so the estimated ship date for these orders is September 18. All Sales Are Final.
Click Icon To Contact Me

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

yinzburgher wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:43 am

OK, it seems I should be getting a midnight blue on a black shell cordovan strap. This would not have been my first choice but I don't dislike the blue by any means and I'm sure I'll be able to find a strap to go with the watch. Also, it is only $130! And it is tough to turn down a Hadley Roma shell cordovan strap for $20 when you consider you can buy this watch head/case only for $110. I can foresee maybe keeping the black strap, wearing and enjoying this watch for a while and then moving it along. If anyone out there with a white dial would prefer the blue, send a message. I would probably be interested in a trade.

Klaatu3
MoT Member

Post by Klaatu3 »

TheJohnP wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:38 pm Does look to have taken a lot of cues from that vintage AP.
Some of us here don't mind wearing homages to famous watches (like a Submariner which almost everyone recognizes)...so it probably won't bother us to wear an homage to a watch nobody ever heard of. ;)
- Klaatu3

"I don't have time to set all these &%#* watches!"
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

TheJohnP wrote:Does look to have taken a lot of cues from that vintage AP.
It shouldn’t bother me at all, it it does a little. This isn’t a clone, but takes cues from the previous watch. I am OK with that, but it feels as if the inspiration was hidden from those to which it was marketed.

Maybe it was mentioned in the Kickstarter, please let me know if it was. If there isn’t admission of this someplace then it may eat away at me.

I know a sub homage when I see one, and know what I am getting into when I buy one. When work is presented as original and unique when inspired by something else then this starts to get to me.

It could be that the design did come up independently and it just so happens that the idea came up before. It’s just hard to know.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Sporkboy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:55 pm
It shouldn’t bother me at all, it it does a little. This isn’t a clone, but takes cues from the previous watch. I am OK with that, but it feels as if the inspiration was hidden from those to which it was marketed.

Maybe it was mentioned in the Kickstarter, please let me know if it was. If there isn’t admission of this someplace then it may eat away at me.

I know a sub homage when I see one, and know what I am getting into when I buy one. When work is presented as original and unique when inspired by something else then this starts to get to me.

It could be that the design did come up independently and it just so happens that the idea came up before. It’s just hard to know.
I don't know if there was a Kickstarter to this one or not.
In fact, first I heard of this watch was when [mention]aldi[/mention] had posted about the WINDUP deal code.

So there's nothing about the AP on the site, and it's not a direct or 1-1 homage. Even if it was, still not sure that would bother me.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

TheJohnP wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:55 pm

I don't know if there was a Kickstarter to this one or not.
In fact, first I heard of this watch was when [mention]aldi[/mention] had posted about the WINDUP deal code.

So there's nothing about the AP on the site, and it's not a direct or 1-1 homage. Even if it was, still not sure that would bother me.
You are right. I could have swore there was one, but I am mistaken. Wearing mine now and it appears that I am less torn with it on my wrist.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

What would bother me to no end is if I would have paid full price when it first came out, assuming it was ever sold at regular price.

Maybe that's not too uncommon in the micro realm which I don't follow except when I see a deal like this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk